Weekly Contest Results 30 October 2017

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Difficult things must be seen through to the end. Whether it is refusing to wallow in pity and standing up to conquer adversity, as advised by Scott; or attempting to do the seeming impossible as h0peful set out to create a new sensory dimension for someone or to bear with the tribulations of an unkind lover as with Michael. In most cases, unless you can deal with the difficulties life gives you, it’s not worth taking the easy wins.

Front Page winners:
    Conquer Or Complain by Scott Cole 21 points
    Explaining Color to a Blind Man by h0peful 20 points
    Sentimental value by Michael 17 points

Honorable mentions:
    Absolution by Free verse 14 points
    My Pendant Cross by Mark 10 points
    Do you know what it's like? by Mahalia Butler 8 points
    Lofty Lakes Are Black Lagoons (English sonnet) by Ben Pickard 7 points
    Stay (Song) by Maher 4 points
    Stop the Hate by deeplydesturbed 4 points

Waiting on three comments

Conquer Or Complain By Scott Cole points 7
    As one who believes in knuckling down and plowing through the adversities of life this poem really strummed a chord.
    Things happen, often bad things! yet we must carry on. People we thought as friends will chatter away making assumptions. Fingers pointed and blame appropriated. It's how we deal with it and come out the other end that is what defines us.
    A fantastic piece with a very poignant message.

-------

Conquer or Complain by Scott Cole points 7
    An important message of life penned with perfect rhyme
    and meanings. An inspirational write and yes it’s up to us;
    we can rise and fight or sit and complain. But what use is
    life’s lesson if we are just going to complain and not learn!

-------

Conquer or Complain by Scott Cole points 7
    This is greatly rhymed with a beautiful, uplifting content. I think this is one of Scott's most fluid writes, it flowed so naturally, that it hid hard and made me ponder on my own attitude towards facing problems in life. Thank you for such a wonderful write!

Explaining Color to a Blind Man By Hopeful points: 10
    An insightful piece that explains through using the rainbow how to explain colours to a blind man. I found myself for a moment imagining what it would be like to be blind trying to visualize the words and Id like to think that this poem would help. Each colour is explained in ways that you can instantly relate. A thoughtful poem that captured my imagination and one I think that helps raise awareness of at least one of the challenges faced by those who are blind.

-------

Explaining color to a blind man by hopeful points 10
    This spoke to me probably more than I could put down in words (which sounds funny coming from a poet here) but this is extremely clever and even though somewhat sad it's beautifully crafted and reads so smoothly especially when read aloud and the explanation of each colour was very profound.

Sentimental value by Michael points 7
    I absolutely am in awe of this write, especially the very strong ending. Beautiful language and Michael writes in a beautiful structure. The structure is unique, it allows you to breathe in and inhale the hurt written. It breaks the heart slowly and ended like a boom and broke my heart completely.

-------

Sentimental value by Michael points 7
    This is probably going to be the shortest comment I've ever written but this piece was extremely moving and one which we could probably all relate to in some aspect. The rawness of the piece seemed to ooze off the tongue so much so that it hit me like a tonne of bricks. The words and styling (actually I cannot fault any of this) were just perfect in my opinion.

Absolution by Free Verse points 10
    From this poem the meaning of forgiveness is understood
    in depth and with much heartache. The way this poem unfolds and
    carries the reader through with the writer, making every emotion
    felt is so sad yet powerfully worded with simple words. A painful
    episode waiting to be released by forgiveness.

-------

Absolution by Free Verse points 4
    I admire the intensity of remorse and regret that I felt when reading this. It's a story that unfolds as I go deeper into the poem. I love the unique voice of the poem...the 'soul' in it that has a power to touch the reader.

My Pendant Cross by Mark points 10
    I'm going to work backwards on this one by Mark, because I can, and because in my last week as a judge Mark just blew me away.
    To begin with the end. Faith, guidance and love are all things that we truly desire, religious or otherwise, I'm glad you have yours. Sometimes things seem bleak but your faith seems to have pulled you through.
    The contents before are simply beautiful, thoughts recorded in word. They give fantastic images of joy, and worry, happiness and fear, and I dare say a little misery and sadness.
    So to the beginning.
    This is what truly hooked me!
    To be questioned on your faith is rather shocking. Everyone has the right to choose their own. That you responded so gracefully here is the measure of you.
    Well done

Do you know what it’s like? by Mahalia Butler points 4
    Invisible and mute to the world! A voice caged but not
    heard or given an opportunity to be heard. Worst still been
    labeled and not given the chance to be heard rather, a
    misunderstood soul silently screaming to be seen, felt, touched
    and acknowledged. Its not just a touching poem but a painful
    one for someone to live through.

-------

Do you know what it's like? by Mahalia Butler points 4
    Great rhyming and use of repetition in a poem that portrays some of the challenges of life. It captures the frustration of youth and the invisibility
    that is often felt by introverts in a world filled with extroverts. A sensitive piece that will resonate with many who have experienced this.

Lofty Lakes Are Black Lagoons (English sonnet) by Ben Pickard points 7
    A sonnet that tells of a seemingly safe lake which tempts the swimmer to his doom but at the same time it is a metaphor for love and the initial invitation
    and promise that your heart will be safe. Only to find once dragged in you find yourself heart broken, marooned and alone. A very clever sonnet that works well on many levels.

Stay (song) By Maher points 4
    Too close to the sun or too close to hell? Either way it going to burn.
    I simply loved the flow of this poem. It rhymes really well and ones eyes simply dance over it. As lyrics they are astounding.
    A fantastic write which one day, I'm sure we would all love to hear set to music.
    Great work

Stop the hate by deeplydesturbed points 4
    This piece was very honest, emotional and I'm guessing touched many of us here as much as it touched me. Though a short piece it speaks volumes. The words just flow off the tongue and onto paper and makes the piece a powerful one with punchy lines.

• Em
    6 years ago

Thanks Larry for hosting.
    Thanks to the judges for judging week in and out.
    Congratulations to all winners, HMs and to all those who got nominated this week.

This site would be nothing without you.

Be blessed.

• Mark
    6 years ago

Thankyou all judges, moderators and Congratulations to all winners and HMs. Thanks to Scott and Nams for their nominations

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Brilliant wins and HMs, congratulations everyone :-)
    Thanks also to all the judges for their terms and for Larry and mods ... appreciated as always x
    =^.^=

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Congratulations to front page winners and HMs.
    Huge thanks to judges and mods for their valuable time and suggestions.
    Big thanks to our senior members for all their support and always inspiring us.

• Meena Krish replied to Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Congratulations Winners and HM's!

Thank you judges for you time and thank
    you Larry for hosting :)

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Well done, all. Many thanks to the judge for their vote/comment on my sonnet.

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Larry, thank you for hosting. Judges amazing job as always! Thank you for your time and comments.

• Michael
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Hi All :)

Thank you Larry for hosting and great intro as usual :0

Congratulations to all the front page winners and all HMs awarded.
    To all the judges for their time, sifting through all the wonderful poems
    and lovely comments left on my poem.
    And thank you to Mark for nominating my winning piece :)

Much love
    Michael x :)

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Congratulations to our fantastic winners this week! Congrats to our amazing HMs as well! We are having more and more diversity every week and just beautiful poetry!

Thank you to our judges who are ending their terms. Your time and effort is very much appreciated. Thanks Larry for hosting and to our other mods, too. :-)

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Firstly well done to all our winners and honorable mentions, every entry was worth its nomination.

Judges and moderators (this week Larry) you are legends.

As new members join and achieve the ability to nominate, i've noticed that the poems entered are growing and are becoming more diverse. This is bloody fantastic.

Last but by no means least thank you to Mel for my nomination.

You guys rock