Weekly Contest Results, 6 November 2017

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!” - Revelations 3:15.
    The author of the apocalyptic book of the Christian bible would have no problems with the winners of this weeks contest. The molten heart of a mother emotionally supporting her dying child is juxtaposed to the fresh night breeze shared by two new lovers and also contrasted to the person ensnared by his own choices, yet focused and determined to extract himself. Nothing lukewarm in these poems.

Congratulations to the front page winners:
    A mother by Maple Tree 24 points
    Musings of Reflection by IdTakeABulletForYou 18 points
    That night we walked the city by Beautiful Tragedy 17 points

And to these honorably mentioned works as well:
    Sorry, Love Daddy by Ben Pickard 14 points
    Caught.. Red-handed by Michael. 10 points
    Sing Your Own Song by Kitty Cat Lady 7 points
    The Poem of Night by ddavidd. 7 points
    Loco-emotion by Kitty Cat Lady 4 points
    Nams’ Song by Mark 4 points

A Mother . . . by Maple Tree 7 Points
    I don't believe there is a greater heartbreak than a parent whose child goes before them from this life. Where the child has had tremendous crosses to bear and the mother willingly accepts the child's crosses as her own it is exquisitely painful and yet reaffirming. This poem is crafted so tightly and yet so vulnerably that I can't get it out of my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A Mother… by Maple Tree 10 points
    It’s not often that a poem tears me to absolute shreds, but this poem did in a matter of seconds. It’s heartfelt & genuine. No parent should have to watch their child suffer. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A Mother... by Maple Tree 7 points
    It feels so empty to say "there are no words", but how can one speak when you have shared the biggest part of you? The love you have and give as a mother is clearer than anything. You could write only a few words, and it would be felt everywhere by anyone. I know she means everything to you and I think of you both, daily. I truly wish we had healing powers. I truly wish we could make some sense of this. Of this hurt, of this suffering. I can just hope that you know you are not alone... I know she is so loved by you and so many who believe in her and are keeping her close in their hearts.

Musings of Reflection by IdTakeABulletForYou 4 Points
    Personal accountability is at the top of my chart for admiration, not that we normally find ourselves needing it. However, there comes a time in each of our lives where we are in the dark about how we got into this situation. Accepting personal responsibility and focusing on what to do next is the best response. This poem so lays out that proposition that it gets into my being.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Musings of Reflection by IdTakeABulletFor You 4 points
    It is incredible how what you feel or have undergone can exactly be put into words by another poet. I think generally, the subject matter here is very relatable. I really like the visuals of entering a dark room and feeling for a switch or anything to undo such a wrong move. I think it is the perfect illustration there is when one makes a wrong decision; it is like entering a dark room and not knowing what to do next. There is a sense of helplessness, regret and hopelessness all in one. The whole piece was very descriptive of such. The ending stanza was superb; to use the word forever reflects the weight a wrong move or mistake can have a toll on us. I just have a thing with the title, at one glance I can say it fitted well with the subject matter, but having read the piece many times I think a more catchy title might be preferable- something deep or dark. A great write nonetheless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Musings of Reflection by IdTakeABulletForYou 10 points
    Such an introspective piece! I love the honesty and depth of your voice. I definitely noticed an inspiration taken from "The Road Not Taken". Reading this piece also reminded me of a first-person game I just played called "The Stanley Parable", which explores the very nature of choices and the paradoxes behind it. It can be surprising, how we realize there could have been another path, and would it have been brighter? More beneficial to us? Can we consciously say there is a wrong choice in our everyday decision making? I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts, especially when you mentioned "a pattern of controlled chaos" and asked yourself "How can I forgive myself for being me?" Being simply human. Simple but ever so perplexing. Well done.

That Night We Walked the City by Beautiful Tragedy 7 points
    I am not a fan of the centered format and I wish this was written left aligned just to give emphasis to the feelings contained within as every line unfolds. Surely, poetic beauty comes in with the use of poetic devices such as metaphors…but I believe the simplest, most raw expression of love just as it is, at times can simply melt us…just as love plainly as it is can melt us. Aside from being sweet, this piece has certain youthfulness to it, which rendered it a delight to read. The author seems to always throw the bomb (using the title) at the end of the piece which for me works very well. Great job!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That Night We Walked the City by Beautiful Tragedy 10 Points
    Love delights, love entrances, and love enlivens. This poem so perfectly captures new love that I could not help but feel uplifted by it.

Sorry, Love Daddy by Ben Pickard 10 points
    It is a general advice to poets to show and not merely tell. I have to say this because with a message as personal (although generally relatable) as this I would think free verse would work better. This rhymed piece however proved that even with the restrictions of rhyme feelings can still be adequately expressed and can touch the readers as it would if it is written in free verse. I think this is where ‘show and not merely tell’ comes in, when a poet chooses to utilize poetic devices available to write poetry.
    The message in this one is deeply felt because parents or not we all make mistakes and fall short of what we are expected to do, and it takes great courage and true love to be able to admit mistakes, especially in this case, asking forgiveness from children. Great work!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sorry, Love Daddy by Ben Pickard 4 points
    Very strong atmosphere you have created and although I am not a parent myself, I feel the hardship of your emotions, the constant battle between giving all you could for your child and the thought of what else there might have been... soulful write that expresses your own journey in trying to lead by example and pave a clear, straight path for your child.

Caught.. Red-handed by Michael. Points: 10
    Oh, what a beautiful write, with a amusing twist to the story in the end. From when the lady in question was introduced, her charm was exquisite. You described her flawlessly. And when it was revealed to us (the readers) that this alluring lady was a mannequin -
    her sophistication, her poise were of an immovable object - it was remarkably amusing. Very well penned.

Sing Your Own Song by Kitty Cat Lady 7 points
    An extremely powerful write, that is reminiscent of Mary Elizabeth Frye’s “Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep”, and I mean that in the highest praise. It takes a genuine soul to spin loss into warmth. It’s written in a mellow, comforting tone that grabs the readers hands to reaffirm them that everything will be fine, in a period of loss. An amazing write!

The Poem of Night by ddavidd. Points: 7
    Your poem of the night is a picturesque imagery which I loved reading and imagining. By beginning to recite the poem of the night, I hardly realized when did you take a detour to make the reader see the beauty and the pain in sorrows, in broken roads and streets, the trees and fallen leaves, the withering hopes and dying dreams. The poem of the night, to me, did beautify the pain of the night in a glamourous way. Especially loved your use of alliteration in 'dancing dusts of dreams '. Well done.

Loco-emotion by Kitty Cat Lady Points 4
    A simple get-a-way to clear her head told in a simple straight-forward manner. Such perfect imagery of the “ghost” reflection, that she must hope will be filled in substantially in her journey.

Nams’ Song by Mark 4 points
    A wonderful tribute to Naomi; the rhyming and flow was superb. This poem is oozing with heartfelt emotions, and came from a genuine place. Excellent job!

• Mark
    6 years ago

Thanks to all judges, congratulations to all winners and HMs. Thanks to Nams, Em and Brenda for their nominations

• mossgirl19

Oh my Larry you are early as ever didn't expect to see this now. :-)

I absolutely enjoyed reading the comments and I would like to congratulate all front page winners and HMs! Such beautiful pieces nominated this week, which makes me very proud to be a member of this very talented community.

To our new set of judges, thank you for your time and lovely insights. To Larry and the Mod team, thanks a bunch for your hard work. :-)

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Well done to everybody highlighted this week and a genuine thank you to the new judges for their time.

Ben

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Huge congrats to this weeks worthy winners, HM's and nominations :-) Thanks so much to Mark, Scott and Craig for my nominations and to the lovely judges for my HM's and lovely comments, I'm thrilled :-)

Thanks to Larry and everyone behind the scenes and to the new judges :-)

Kitty =^.^=

• IdTakeABulletForYou

Thank you judges! Congrats to everyone! Also, a big thanks to everyone here for getting me back into poetry. It is your input and feedback that I thrive off of, and writing is really therapeutic. Having a welcome place to share that writing is priceless!

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Congratulations to front page winners and HMs.
    Huge thanks to judges and mods for their valuable time and suggestions.
    Big thanks to our senior members for all their support and always inspiring us.

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Thank you to everyone, the comments have me in tears.... Robyn will be touched to know my poem was highlighted.

Congratulations to everyone, hugs to all of you

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi All

Congratulations to front pagers and all HMs awarded.

Thanks to Larry for hosting and the new term judges who spend valuable time sifting away through wonderful poetry, also the HM comment on my poem, very much appreciated :)

And thank you to Em for nominating my poem :)
    Much love
    Michael x

• ddavidd

Thanks judges for my comment. Thanks Liz (mossgirl19) and Dagmar Wilson for nominating me. Thanks Larry the early bird.
    How wonderful, indeed, that your wonderful poem is highlighted Andrea.

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Well done to all winners and those who received honorable mentions, as always there were some amazing pieces.

Well done to the new judges, you rock. Mega thanks to moderators and our host this week also. Your efforts are not without recognition.

Last but not least thank you so much to Ben and Dagmar for nominating my two.

Respect all

Craig

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Such powerful, moving pieces! Congratulations to all!

Thank you, Larry for posting... and of course thank you to the judges.

• Em
    6 years ago

Thanks judges
    Thanks Larry

congratulations on all WINNERS and HMs