Message of inspiration: Birds Story

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

I wanted to share with all of you, and up lift you...

5 years ago, my eldest child Robyn, began a dark road of drug, alcohol addiction, prostitution and gang violence. She's Lost all 5 of her children ( adopted within my family) and been in and out of jail numerous times. My poetry through the years reflects the years of pain. I never gave up on her....never.

Back in July, I was on video chat with Bird, she was so strung out, she had the crack pipe in hand....she said to me Mom, my breast hurts... I begged her to see a Dr. I sent a group called exoudus crys out on the streets to help her...she declined help....but they made sure she ate...and gave me updated reports on her safety.

My youngest daughter Rita and her husband have the three youngest and my sister and brother-in-law have the two oldest children...as a family we have banded together for Bird.

Last September, she was incarcerated and diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, terminal. Drs said I would lose her by Christmas...mid January and she's still with us....

Bird stopped treatment for a bit and is now back on treatment, blood transfusions, radiation and soon a double masectomy. It has spread to her brain as well.... she's fighting still.....

She's dangerously underweight....but she continues to fight.... I asked her who she is now compared to a year ago....she said"Mom, I'm an angel"

Bird is reaching out to fellow prostitutes...trying to help..

I was severely depressed around Christmas....she said to me " Mom, get your ass to a Dr, fight with me...we got this"

I'm now on medication and doing better....we got this.

Bird said" I was given terminal cancer so I could remember what it's like to be clean"

Bird wants me to publicly say thank you to all of you for the powerful poetry...she reads them daily for comfort.

She feels she's being granted a few more months so she can save others..

She currently lives with my parents...doing Dr appointments daily, outpatient Rehab and public outreach...busy kid.

Thank you to the folks with AA and NA...they have made special arrangements for bird to have meetings in her home when she's to week to get out....

Special thank you to the infirmary at Douglas county jail, bird had to do some jail time during chemotherapy, clean up past charges...and they called me often to assure me of my daughter's safety and update on her condition...they didn't have to do that.

The support here and within New York and KS has been powerful...

I travel back and forth from New York to KS..

She wants this story shared...she is the strongest angel bird I know.

Thank you for reading

Hugs,

Maple Tree And her Bird

Side note:

My husband has been battling non hodgkins lymphoma for 7 years, currently in remission. I'm not new to this cancer nightmare... people ask me how I continue to be strong... I say to them ... I truly don't know, I just do...

Jim and Robyn are my rocks, along with Rita, my four beautiful step daughter's.... family, grandbabies....and numerous friend's, most of whom are on this site....thank you!

Special Thank You to the following

D David, Angie, Brenda, Ben and Ben, Mary Ann, Britt, Jane, Larry, Craig, Em and numerous others on this site for your friendship and support, I love you all.

• silvershoes replied to Maple Tree

<3 <3 <3 <3 I am so inspired by your Bird. My heart breaks thinking of all the pain she's gone through in her short life so far, but the complete turnaround she's done since being diagnosed has given her and her family the opportunity to see the truest version of herself. When faced with one of the most difficult challenges of her life, she has not only stepped up to the plate for herself, but thrown her energy and time into loving and helping others. That is the resolve of an amazingly brave and kind spirit. "Mom, I'm an angel." I love that. It seems she's found her wings. Love you, Andrea. Thank you for sharing this journey with us.

• Poet on the Piano

There are not enough hugs in the world right now to give you both... Thank you for sharing this. She (and you) are true inspirations and I'm sitting here weeping at her courage to be open and brave in wanting to tell her story and help others. I think it's absolutely incredible that she could say she was given these months to be clean and have that kind of perspective that is going to inspire so many others who may have given up. Indeed, she is living her truest self.

So proud of you both. Much love, always and forever. She is one amazing angel <3

• naaz
    6 years ago

She is the strongest angel bird because she got those wings from her mother.

• ddavidd

Thanks so much dear Andrea for the update. I was dying to know what was going on. It is so good to know the whole story, so thanks for sharing that too. Now I am left with feeling a little relief and so much pride. Now specially after seeing her last photos, I have a burning desire in my heart to let Robyn know that I am absolutely in love with her soul. In the beginning of this journey she was different, (according to her pictures) I could see the residues of those rough lifestyle on her beautiful face as some mood or intonation. But now none of these shows, only an angel remained, and a question that I can see in the depth of her eyes , something like sparks, like some flame, like a wonder so tangible that I wish I could paint. She has transformed.
    Those last pictures that you posted on Facebook, affected me so deep. If by any chance life bless us with her present any father, that I hope he does, that I pray with all my heart he does, she would be a transformed person. She has faced death so gloriously ( this could be one of the most transcending experience of on's life).

Here I want to share a 100% true story of a friend of mine, who had stage 4 prostate cancer, and doctors told him that he had only few month to live. So he dropped everything and went on to a vacation for few month. And then when he came back he never went to see his doctor again. He was bragging that it was six years past the doctor's deadline
    and he was still alive. Though after after this conversation, in few month he disappeared. I have lost his contact number and he did not call me almost a year now. So I am not sure if he is still alive and dare not to investigate. The reason for my neglect is we were not close friends. Every once in few years we see each other in the streets of Toronto, by accident, go for some tea, or vegetarian dish ( his favourite ) and then few calls after, until we bump to each other again, sometimes in five years.

• Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Birds story is inspirational. Every time I think of her and your situation I am moved to tears. Life is so unfair. I don't get onto Facebook very much but the photos of her I have seen she looks like a beautiful angel. I think she is amazing reaching out to others to help change their lives at this difficult time and words cant describe how wonderful your love and strength is for her and your family. Sending you all our love and hugs and best wishes Milly x

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

I have no real words, Maple. I don't want to patronise you and say there there, it will be alright. I'm a parent and I know what a tough battle there is ahead for you but surely, if you can face it with the same courage and peace that Bird has done, you will come out the other side.
    As for Robyn, perhaps all the years of giving in to vices has allowed her to store the incredible strength she is displaying now that would otherwise have been used up completely. There's only so much fight that any one person has in them - it sounds like she's saved all of hers for the one time in her life that she really needs it, and she's winning: she hasn't let cancer beat her down or take away her inner peace. Death comes to us all, but if we can stand up, face it head on and say 'I'm not scared by you' then we are something very special indeed. You and Robyn are certainly that, Andrea.
    You know I'm thinking of you, you know I am always at the end of an email/message/ and you know you have my upmost support and respect.

All my love and best wishes to you and your incredible Bird,

Ben

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Again, Andrea, I am shown the power of love and determination. Robin has collected so much grace these final few months!
    You have always, in my mind, been the inspiration for the vast majority of poets on this site, past and present. I am certain you are also the source of Robin's strength.

• Brenda replied to Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Andrea, your story has been truly uplifting and inspiring and really says what family is all about. Baby bird is true grace under pressure and the fact she's reaching out to help others is beyond amazing. It shows what a wonderful young lady she always was. We aren't promised tomorrow and we need to make each day count. Robyn is doing just that. I don't think we ever know just how strong we actually are until faced with these life changing events that come into our lives. Like you said, "You all got this"- I'm so happy you have gotten this "more time" to be able to really see baby bird soar. Thank you a million times over for allowing all of us into your lives, for being extended sisters, aunts, mom's, brothers, uncles, siblings to you guys. I can only send hugs and prayers and strength and thank you.

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone, for sharing and for your support and friendship...we thank you

• Em
    6 years ago

All I can say as tears fill my eyes again at the story and how birdy is an inspiration like you.. Is that I send my love and what strength I have to you both and your family

• Liz
    6 years ago

You two really are inspirational. <3

• Dagmar Wilson
    6 years ago

Dear Andrea I am sincerely touched by your story and your daughter has her wings from you. You are an amazing person you will fight with everything you have to help and safe someone else. God is with you and he has not left you and I am sending prayers to you and family.