Weekly Contest Results 2-12-18

• PnQ Mod Account
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago by silvershoes

Jane here. Thank you once again to our wonderful judges and sub judges for continuing to make the weekly contest possible. Congratulations are in order for Ben Pickard, Sinners gospel, Rosy Cheeks And Irony, and all of the honorable mentions this week. I'm not one for a grand introduction, so without further ado, here are the results:

Even The Badgers Found It Strange by Ben Pickard: 10 + 10 = 20
    Remake. by Rosy Cheeks and Irony: 10 + 10 = 20
    Parallel Universe by Sinners gospel: 7 + 7 + 4 = 18

Kimberley. by Poet on the Piano: 10 + 7 = 17
    True Colours (another messed up sonnet type thing) by CJ Maleney: 7
    Love is... by Micheal: 7
    Roses by Matt Carroll: 4
    It’s been raining all day by Jamie: 4
    As Plainly Stated by Ben: 4
    Deewanapan. (Villanelle) by Purvi Gadia: 4

COMMENTS FOR WINNERS:

Even The Badgers Found It Strange
    by Ben Pickard
    10 + 10 = 20

"Poetry is such a wonderful medium, when written well, it transports the reader to often new experiences, feelings and visions of different times and places. This poem took me back in time to the beauty of something I had almost forgotten. The early morning walks through the countryside
    With Wonderfully rich visual textures that brought the cold and frost back to my bones. Reminding me of the isolation yet wide eyed musings that comes with walking through a world devoid of humanity and touched by a veil of frost.

The beauty of nature in that moment is breath taking. The countryside becomes like a familiar yet strange world, cold and beautiful. You feel as if Caught in a pocket of time when everything feels eerie and strange. Like being caught in a spell, a moment out of sync with reality, magically captured in time through the words of this insightful and superb poem. A treasure to the senses to be kept and reread over and over again." (10)

-

"Capturing a moment in time thru poetry is really a favorite of mine, and I believe, of poets in general. This rhymed piece has got my full attention and I was like transported to the very place described, feeling the cold, eerie morning. The way Ben described the surroundings - the land, the river, the way towards home - it's really commendable. Great work!" (10)

--------------------------------------------

Remake.
    by Rosy Cheeks and Irony
    10 + 10 = 20

"I have no words to explain let alone describe this piece of
    poetry which has everything to make poetry perfect! I love the
    the choice of words and the smoothness of the read. It carried me
    through the along with the writer and its as if I’m there listening
    as well as witnessing this whole episode. Beautifully penned!!" (10)

-

"The poet attempts to deconstruct & recast the history of a relationship in order to gain some perspective. I like the various imaginative role she plays with - after all is said and done she really should be a princess." (10)

Parallel Universe
    by Sinners gospel
    7 + 7 + 4 = 18

"You have put in your whole heart and soul into it and
    brought it out into the open! I like the emotions that has been
    not displayed but “said” the feelings felt instead of just tagged.
    I also like the break between the stanzas with the word “drop”
    running down. This poem though long it was worth the read!! Excellent!!" (7)

-

"This poem about losing some one you love in your life is amazingly written for me because the love story is expressed in beautiful metaphors that rendered it a really heart-breaking one. Some things are so beautiful that they hurt. I read it and I felt a sad melody playing in the background. It is breathtaking and heart-breaking at the same time. Great work!" (7)

-

"I appreciate the choice of your words for the portrayal of your thoughts. And hope - the one thing this poem spoke to me in abundance about - hope is that ruthless ruler of our being to whom at the end of each day, we still subject ourselves to become voluntary slaves. At the heart of it, this poem is beautiful and flows elegantly, like a brook, and once again, your choice of words is well done." (4)

COMMENTS FOR HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Kimberley.
    by Poet on the Piano
    10 + 7 = 17

"This poem is very raw and honest; filled with vulnerability in every word written. Sometimes it is not really about what the poet writes but more about how they make you feel - and you have made me feel both blue and calm at the same time (and this, to me, is incredibly special).
    This deserves the full score for your courage and sincere truthfulness in it. Keep writing. :D" (10)

-

"The intensity of this poem is both an outcry of angst and a pean to the joy received. The depression and scars that accompanied the end are shown in bitterness and yet profound nostalgia." (7)

True Colours (another messed up sonnet type thing)
    by CJ Maleney

"I believe that true colours is a very important poem, it raises awareness, brings to the open what we often like to ignore. That monsters exist and they "come in all shapes and sizes, so many faces, so many guises". Setting out to do harm to others for self gratification makes a person a monster whether it be rape, murder, bullying, theft, sexual harassment or anything else that causes hurt to others.

These people hide behind many different facades designed to elicit trust from you and whilst most people are fortunate never to come across such behaviour. When they do it is such a shock that it is often hard to believe that another human that they thought they knew, could have possibly done such
    terrible things.

As Abraham Lincoln was once attributed to saying "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time" There is something that is not quite right about monsters. No matter what disguise they use it will be that something off key about their thinking that always causes them to reveal themselves in the end.
    An excellent and topical poem in these times of conflict that we currently reside." (7)

Love is...
    by Micheal

"Love is divine and you have painted this notion exquisitely. I am struggling to find words to describe how struck your words have left me.
    In minimal words you have captured the beauty of love perfectly, and it beautifully creates the aura that the magic of Valentine's day holds.
    A captivating and mesmerising piece by you. :)" (7)

Roses
    by Matt Carroll

"A poem filled with such depth of emotion that the reader cannot help share in the writers woe.
    The vase of roses a cruel reminder of a recent love lost. This powerful and heart wrenching piece pierces the heart of the reader. Each and every stanza revealing the deep depth of sorrow and loss caused by the different reminders of a love presence now gone.

From idle possessions in the hall to a bed he can no longer sleep in. The terrible silence and emptiness of loneliness reverberates around the walls of what was once a place filled with love and happiness. That simple vase of roses that he cannot bear to throw away, as if to do so would be the final admission of his loss. A very well written piece that brought an honest heart wrenching look into lost love." (4)

It’s been raining all day
    by Jamie

"This is different, though sad at the same time the image it
    conjures is alluring making the reader to dig deeper into
    the writer’s world. Vividly penned with so much said
    underneath in just two stanzas…
    Take care." (4)

As Plainly Stated
    by Ben

"Ben captured me in this very romantic write. In this, he captured the bliss of love in the most simple and heart-melting way. I always believe genuine love always lead us to become better individuals. It has great power to erase the nightmares of the past. It always give us a fresh new hope in the morning. It makes us feel so at peace inside and outside. It is the kind of love every heart would dream of." (4)

Deewanapan. (Villanelle)
    by Purvi Gadia

"The hardest part of a Villanelle is to craft it with a meaningful message. The structure of the format can lead to triteness and even an embarrassing outcome. Purvi happily has drafted a masterpiece that carries the drama beautifully." (4)

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Congrats to all!! Thank you to Jane for posting. And thank you to both of the judges for the vote/comment (and also to Mark for nominating my piece).

Have a great week, everybody! :)

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! So much beauty in all these words so wonderfully penned. Thank you Jane for hosting and always the judges for their time and sifting through all these and making those choices-

• naaz
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Another wonderful week for pnq. I saw some very beautiful, inspirational poems on nomination list. Learned a lot from those poems.
    Sir Michael, see I told you competition would be tough because Ben came. He proved once again why he is one of the finest poet of pnq.

Congratulations to everyone and don't get discouraged if you aren't seeing your poem in between the winners, and please don't forget to thank the person who nominated your poem.
    Thanks to judges and whole pnq team for giving their valuable time to run this site, for contests and other activities.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Congrats to worthy poems both on the front page & HMs.
    Thanks Jane for hosting.

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

All I can say is thank you so much to the judges for their lovely comments. What means more than anything to me is that people have read it and really understood what I was trying to convey and that they enjoyed it.
    Thank you indeed to Scott Cole for the nomination; well done to all the other poems highlighted this week and thank you to the judges for their time.

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi All,

Congratulations to the front page authors with wonderful pieces, and good to see Ben back with a beauty :)
    and all the HM's awarded including the lovely comments on my piece. Thank you.
    To the judges as always with their time.
    and thank you to Em for nominating my poem.

Much love to all
    M :)xx

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Thanks to the judges for appreciating my poem so much. Thanks to mods and other members for being so supportive.
    Thanks to naaz for nominating it.
    Congrats everyone!
    Huge thanks to Mel and Brenda for always encouraging me to write and at last that person without whom it wouldn't have been possible, Hellon.
    Hellon, I almost quit it, but after getting that message from you I came up with something that showed up on the front page. You brought some kind of positive energy with you which motivated me to write once again.
    Thank you so much Hellon.

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

As always well done and respect to our front page winners and all who gained HMs.

Thank you to Brenda for nominating my poem totally didn't expect that. Especially with this one.

I also didn't expect it to get a vote. So thank you to the judge who did and who also commented so in depth and thoughtfully.

Finally thanks to all our other judges and big up Jane for hosting

• Ben
    6 years ago

Congrats guys awesome poems this week :)

thank you so much for my nomination and for the lovely comments on here and the poem itself :))

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HMs and nominees :-) Thanks to Milly for my nominations, to Jane for hosting and to the judges for their time. Great work everyone! :-) x
    =^.^=