Perfect Valentines Date

• Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

We had such a lovely response with so many valentine inspired poems. So I wondered if you could choose your most perfect valentines date / place to go money or circumstance no object then where would it be and what would you do.

So to kick it off.. My perfect Valentine date would be with my husband sitting at a table on a sandy beach in Mexico or Dumaguette watching the sun slowly set whilst eating a lovely meal, listening to the waves crashing on to the shore. Then spending the rest of the night on a boat drinking alcohol free cocktails and staring at the moon and stars until we fall asleep.

• Brenda replied to Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Milly, what a lovely date! Anytime I get to spend time with my honey is like Valentine's day. But if money was no issue I think one of those huts they have right over the ocean would be amazing! I've seen them on the internet and it looks so cool. You have your own pool and stuff. Super romantic...

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Aww, that sounds so lovely! I've never been to the ocean so I someday dream of going, being able to watch the sunset, sing to each other, just breathe in the reality of being with someone I care about.

My perfect date would also be traveling somewhere local for the first time. Nothing fancy or far away. Just exploring nature, possibly hiking or learning some secret about the town/city and its history.

• Hellon replied to Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Milly your valentines date sound perfect but I may change it just a little to better suit me...

YOURS
    "Then spending the rest of the night on a boat drinking alcohol free cocktails"

MINE

"Then spending the rest of the night on a boat drinking free alcohol cocktails" LOL!

• silvershoes
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

LOL, Hellon, love your edit. That would be my edit too. Free alcoholic cocktails, ohhhh yeah. Dang guys, Kevin and I were in Mexico in January and you pretty much described the experience haha. Take me back! It was amazing!

Kevin and I spend a lot of time together, so when Valentine's Day rolls around, it's like a lot of other days for us. Also, our anniversary is only 3 weeks before V-Day, and we go all out for that (weekend trip and present exchange).

For V-Day this year, we exchanged love letters (his was 3 pages long and I cried multiple times while reading it of course), made dinner, popped some champagne, ate homemade peanut brittle, and watched 'This Is Us' while cuddled up on the couch. Just a warm, cozy night at home with our kitties. For me, it was perfect.

• Hellon replied to silvershoes

I'm actually surprised that both of you picked Mexico? Where about's did you go? I went to Tijuana many years ago and couldn't believe the poverty there. I bought a lovely painting, all mounted in a wooden frame for a pittance and I still feel extremely guilty about it to this day. It was a long time ago and, I hope things have improved for these poor people. There was a group of them hand cuffed and waiting for the police to arrive because they had tried to escape and had been caught....now I hear a lot of Mexican people have simply walked away from their homes in USA and going back over the border...not sure if that's true or not.

• silvershoes

Ooh, I’ve been to Tijuana several times (it’s not far from San Diego, where I have family), and it is such a sad place... I hope to never go back, unless it has something to do with social work.

We were in Puerto Vallarta and Yelapa this trip, which you can google. I also like Cancun, Cozumel, Tulum, and Playa Del Carmen. These are beautiful places in Mexico, though of course there are still pockets of poverty hidden away from tourists.

I have friends who are DACA recipients and they don’t want to go back to Mexico because they consider the USA home, but I have heard that some families are choosing to retreat back to Mexico.

The only difficult part of being in Mexico this time was the guilt of having Trump as our president. We felt the need to tell people that we didn’t vote for him and don’t agree with him, which instantly relieved tension. It was different when Obama was our president. *siiiiigh*

6 years ago

Puerto Vallarta looks a bit too commercialized for me..Yelapa looks more my style :) I really want to visit Aruba (it's on my bucket list) not necessarily for a valentines date..it just looks beautiful :)

• Hellon

I heard a lot of them were going back before Trump came to power...my sister-in-law lived there for years )America I mean) and employed a lot of Mexicans so that's were my info is coming from but...like I said, it could be wrong.

• silvershoes replied to Hellon

Aruba is definitely on my bucket list as well. Yes, PV is commercialized. We did the all-inclusive resort there. In Yelapa, we stayed at a bungalow. It had a dried grass roof and walls only on 3 sides. The stars were beautiful at night. No light pollution.

I'm not sure about Mexicans going back to Mexico to be honest. I should probably know that. I do know immigration from Mexico to the U.S. has slowed down in the last decade.

6 years ago

You should look at Bali...I know it's quite far for you to travel but..if I can make it to Aruba you could definitely make it to Bali...I'm sure you'd love it there, the sunsets are spectacular.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

I count myself lucky to have been on several perfect dates with my wife. If I were to describe one I would want it would be something like:

Start out with dinner with the kids (all of them, including the grandson), in a scenic restaurant cliff-side on some north Italian village on a hillside overlooking the Mediterranean. The kids each leave with their own significant-other and Rosaura and I retire to our private villa balcony where there is a hot Jacuzzi waiting for us along with a frosted bottle of not-too-sweet Tuscan Vin Santo. The full moon rises as we soak in the gently bubbling water and reminisce about our years together and our hopes for the future. The hillside twinkles as people switch lights on or off in their quaint red-tile-roof homes, giving a star-like effect. The moon lights up sailboats in the bay, with ours among them, waiting for the morrow.

• Em (marmite)
    6 years ago

Ok my perfect day would have been waking up with the one I love besides me smiling, looking into my eyes before having a kiss and cuddle before one of us gets up to make coffee and bring it back upstairs so we can have another cuddle whilst the coffee cools then the other one goes down to make breakfast or even better both of us and eating it sat at the table together (I don't do crumbs in bed lol) then going about out working day as usual... If its not a working day though having a home cooked or light lunch playing games (I'm a suckernfor board games some say a weirdo lol) if it's nice taking to the garden for fresh air before taking a walk hand in hand

Later on going out to our favourite restaurant chatting the night away and finding somewhere a little later to stargaze with each other before falling asleep in each others arms.

Hey who needs Paris etc etc when you have the person you love besides you forever? Though alternatively I'd love to be in Rome doing all of the above :)

• Lost One
    6 years ago

Dancing with "the one that got away." I have two left feet, but she is a ballroom dancer. Dinner, a glass of wine, and the rest of my life trying to win her over...