An inspirational pat on ones back

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi All :)

Today marks a personal anniversary (no haven't got married and not told anyone) :)

I have achieved a personal goal-milestone, as I have managed myself to steer clear of old demons (addiction-demon), and I just wanted to share this with you, as you all at PNQ in some way have been on my journey with me :)
    So far its has been quite a venture, learning new ways to manage myself and unlearning the years I conformed my life to. I haven't changed as a person, I have changed how to manage myself for better for healthier (ooh nearly a wedding vow in there haha) ironically, it is like making a vow to myself and honouring myself with the promise I made, at a time when a choice had to be made, The beauty is with all the learning, is that natural flow comes through to love myself more and explore who I really am. My poetry has taken many steps with me in my journey, and I have enjoyed working deeper to find what I am really capable of.

It takes a lot of 'pushing oneself' and support however that form maybe. The support here is wonderful, the poets that I have come into contact with has helped with my writing no end. My wonderful therapist, who I will continue to see - truly wonderful relationship.

So I felt it would bring some positive energy, with this thread. This is about you, not a praise for me (I have and am doing that) :) to share any achievements, goals future aspirations you may be working towards, anything you want to celebrate and give yourself a huge pat on your back, even the smallest thing.

I look forward to reading your inspirational stories :))

Much love as ever

Michael :)xx

• Milly Hayward replied to Michael
    6 years ago

What a truly inspirational thread Michael and congratulations on your personal anniversary you deserve that huge pat on the back and a huge hug. Taking control of your life is often difficult but the rewards are beyond price. Well done love and best wishes Milly x

• mossgirl19 replied to Michael
    6 years ago

Congrats on your personal anniversary, Michael and as your friend I am very happy that you are doing great. Hugs and much love to you!

I want to share that I have just recently started a new work contract and I feel very blessed because it's an answered prayer for me. Less working hours a week, good pay and great colleagues. I have more time for my daughter which is really a relief.

Spreading the positivity!

• Poet on the Piano replied to Michael
    6 years ago

So happy for you, Michael! Want to wish you congratulations and always the very best for you. You are a rock on PnQ and thank you for continuing to lift so many poets and friends on here up. That's also very cool you are open about therapy and talk about it in a positive light. Therapy helped me too, when I needed it the most, when I had no idea how to express myself and I was just starting to write poetry that expressed my honest self, no matter how painful or ugly that was.

Side note, this DOES read like a wedding vow, but what would I know about that lol ;)

It doesn't seem like a big deal now but thinking back to how bad it used to be, I guess it is. I've been clean from self-harm for half a year, maybe more. I lost track of time and I think that speaks for itself. I never thought I'd make it to the day where things were healing, and I no longer counted how many days since I last slipped.

Love you all so much!

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Michael,
    Great news! You should be happy.

Mel, spending more time with your kid is the best part of your new contract.

MA congrats, too, the past 6 months.

I was informed by my deservedly happy ex that she just celebrated her 18th sober free anniversary.

• Hellon replied to Michael
    6 years ago

Good on you Michael and...you should be proud of your achievement. Do you mind telling us what your addition was...how it affected you and others around you? How long did it last? What was you lowest point and was that significant?

I quite my smoking addiction just over 4 years ago and saved the money. I figured I spent roughly $100 a week on cigarettes so I put it aside...after 4 years I had just over $20,000 so I took my whole family to Bali with the money...called it our "Up in Smoke Trip". I think I may have shared this story before so...sorry if I'm on repeat here haha!!

• Em (marmite)
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Michael you kind sir need a real pat on one's back and a well deserved one too any kind of addiction is hard to succumb but you've done it and I'm so pleased for you

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi All :)

Thank you to everyone for your supportive comments on this thread, and posting some of your own achievements and goals, so well done to you too, and I hope you really have given yourself a pat on your back, because you deserve it.

We should always remember to be compassionate with ourselves, and reflect where we have come and anything achieved small or large, supporting others where and when we can. I know almost for a fact, had I not come away from addiction, I may not be writing this thread, but I am because I wanted to work it out as much as I could with myself. But the most important fact is only we can rid ourselves of demons and manage our lives, because I know I will live with addiction within me for the ret of my life, but I am so aware of the 'triggers' and weakness/ vulnerability.

In answer to your question Hellon, rather than this sort of becoming a repeated thread, on the members forum under 'Friendship[' - a shared place, I have put quite a bit about my addiction. I haven't returned there for some time, as I would like to finish my story, but you will find lots there to read up. also thank you for your interest Hellon, and again to all the lovely people that came along here.

Much love
    Michael xx

• Hellon replied to Michael
    6 years ago

I never go into the friendship forum so I totally missed this. Quite honestly, I never really looked at gambling as an addiction, growing up in my generation it always came under the guise of 'he has a wee gambling problem' same with drinking...it was just 'a wee problem' that someone had..it never seemed like a big deal to me. Everyone smoked then too so I didn't really consider myself to be addicted until I was well in my twenties.

I'm glad, in the end that you pulled yourself together and, thank you for pointing me in the right direction to your other thread....

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Michael

You Sir are an inspiration, hugs you