HOW COME WE DON'T HAVE A SONG LYRIC / SONGWRITER FORUM!!!

• Robert Gardiner
    6 years ago

How come we don't have a forum for those who also write song lyrics. I want to see the song lyricist shine. I think we should have a place here that spotlights the song lyricist and songwriters. I feel those who write songs and song lyrics should have a place to better themselves at their craft. I love poetry as i assume many of us do here, bit there isn't really money in it. And I personally feel those looking to make a career or at least some money off their ability to write well and and express their own or someone else feeling or sentiment should have a place to improve their skills in the craft of song lyric writing.

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

Hey Robert, great idea. Since we can't create a song lyric/songwriter forum within the forums (we would need Janis, the site admin, to implement this), maybe we can designate one of the current forums as this area? Or we can manage an ongoing thread?

• Robert Gardiner replied to silvershoes
    6 years ago

Whatever works, as long as we have a creative space for song writers ans lyricist to get feedback on their work and to work on improving in the art. We have to work on a good way to trademark (copy write) the individual intellectual property, so ones art (creative output) can be protected.

• Hellon replied to Robert Gardiner
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

And I personally feel those looking to make a career or at least some money off their ability to write well and and express their own or someone else feeling or sentiment should have a place to improve their skills in the craft of song lyric writing.

^^^^^

How do you see that happening on this site? I mean, we're just amateurs on here giving a personal opinion, not a professional one.

• Robert Gardiner replied to Hellon
    6 years ago

We all I assume listen to music, and just like you can tell when a poem is good you can tell if a song lyric is good. Also, there's a library of tips, notes, and information you can find online about songwriting. There are also books on songwriting. There are a lot of songwriters who have no professional training, but have a lot of talent and ability. I've collected a lot of information, notes, on the craft, to allow people to learn and expand their fluidity in the craft; But mostly it would be a opportunity for people to get feedback on their lyrical works (songs).

• Hellon replied to Robert Gardiner
    6 years ago

we all I assume listen to music, and just like you can tell when a poem is good you can tell if a song lyric is good.

^^^

Well members on here always argue that poetry is subjective so I will assume the same argument...what you like may not necessarily ring my bell.

I also see poetry as being a far broader medium than songwriting when you take into consideration all the forms that are available to us. songwriting on the other hand seems very one dimensional to me...you have the verse, chorus and bridge..ok, if the chorus is good it will, no doubt, suck us in because it sticks in our head easier than a poem does but that depends a lot on the music IMO.

I am interested though and would love for you to provide examples/more information on the subject. I did try writing some lyrics once and feel I failed miserably but, in the name of art, I'm quite willing to post it here or on a separate thread if you wish to open one.

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

This is interesting. Remember when Chelsey wrote song lyrics on here?

I think a "standard" (don't know correct terminology) form to follow when song writing is to set up your verse 1, chorus/refrain than verse 2. But I kind of see Hellon's point about poetry being more universal, if you will. In that way, I could see a person writing a poem specifically to be sung. So like in slam poetry, where you practice it aloud and how the words flow into each other, you could do the same when inspiration hits for a song.

I like it all depends on the person and their construction of the poem. There are some more folk or alternative song lyrics I read, without listening to and in disregard to the melody I know, and they read to me like poetry. So I think songwriting and poetry can compliment each other and be almost a hidden treasure in one another.

• Em (marmite)
    6 years ago

Why not start a new lyrics thread?

• Robert Gardiner
    6 years ago

I posted my collection of notes and information on songwriting. Here's the thread; http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/threads/146663

• Robert Gardiner
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

I feel and think songwriting and poetry are quite similar, from a lyrical standpoint. And when it comes to both, i think you should strive to write something of quality and that effectively expresses the subject, theme, and sentiment your trying to get across, and that you should write chiefly with flow and rhythm in mind, being that they're both lyrical pieces. When I write I just workout an idea. I built upon my chosen subject matter (idea), expressing the truths and the sentiment (feelings & emotions) therein. Here's a song I just wrote with Demi Lovato in mind titled, GODDESS. (I came up with the title/subject about being a Goddess and just started to write to the kind of message I want to express and the sentiment I wanted it to have, trying to make sure it flowed and had good rhythm along the way - revising later to better the flow, by adding or trimming words as needed.) Remember, a good song isn't about a bunch of technical elements, but how it flow, the quality of the lyrics and chorus and how they speaks to you (its audience), Anyway, here the song:

GODDESS!!!

{First Verse}:
    You’ve tried to break me down,
    But see, you’ve built me up.
    I’m so much stronger now,
    After fighting, through the muck.
    I’m strong and confident,
    Sure, of who I am,
    No matter, what you say or do,
    No matter, what you put me through.
    I know, I got this.
    See, I’m a Goddess,
    And you ain’t gonna dim, my light.
    You ain’t taking away, my shine.
    See, overtime, I’ve gained, insight,
    And realized, that I’m Divine;
    (I’m a Goddess, Resplendent, as a Goddess)

{Chorus/Hook}:
    I am a Goddess,
    A woman, of substance.
    Yes, I got, that magic.
    My strength’s, of abundance.
    Got integrity & good character,
    A strong sense, of self,
    That's why your negatives don't register,
    Cause I know, my worth.
    Strong is my body,
    My mind and my soul.
    A Divinity, I embody.
    I’m a Goddess, for sure;
    (I’m a Goddess, yeah, I’m a Goddess)
    GODDESS…

{Second Verse}:
    You've tried to tell me, that I can’t,
    But I’m gonna show you I can,
    That you cannot supplant,
    The will, of woman.
    See, we’ll keep on fighting,
    For what we deserve.
    I’ve never put much stock in,
    Being seen and nit heard.
    We’re lifting up, our voices,
    To our oppressors, times up.
    We’re bellowing, in a chorus,
    That we've had enough.
    So, no more sexual harassment.
    We’re demanding, you respect us.
    God’s Eleventh Commandment
    Is a Woman is a Goddess.

{Chorus/Hook}:
    I am a Goddess,
    A woman, of substance.
    Yes, I got, that magic.
    A strong sense, of self,
    Cause I know, my worth.
    Strong is my body,
    My mind and my soul.
    A Divinity, I embody.
    I’m a Goddess, for sure;
    GODDESS…

{Third Verse}:
    To all my ladies out there,
    Realize your worth.
    To woman, there’s no compare.
    Nothing better, on earth.
    You can bring home the bacon,
    Fry it up, in a pan.
    You leave nothing forsaken.
    Girl, you do the damn thing.
    See, without us women,
    Just where would men be.
    Why can’t some comprehend,
    That women they need?
    Even if, they don’t know, your value,
    You got to know, your own,.
    You, don’t let him devalue.
    With confidence, stand strong.
    There’s nothing, like the spirit,
    Fire, you possess.
    You're filled with wonder and magic.
    Know, you’re a Goddess.

{Chorus/Hook}:
    I am a Goddess,
    A woman, of substance.
    Yes, I got, that magic.
    A strong sense, of self,
    Cause I know, my worth.
    Strong is my body,
    My mind and my soul.
    A Divinity, I embody.
    I’m a Goddess, for sure;
    GODDESS…

{Fourth Verse}:
    34-28-36,
    At 5'3”, it’s such a lovely mix.
    132 pounds, of sexy, going on here.
    To My hourglass figure, you know, there’s no compare.
    I just love my lovely lumps.
    See, I know, I got it going on.
    I’m Certified Hotness.
    With a body like this, you know, that I’m a Goddess.
    Got that boom-boom, that you want;
    Got that boom-boom, that you want;
    Many men, many women, want to get them some.
    Venus, Aphrodite, I’m the quintessence, thereof,
    Demetria Devonne Lovato, the new Goddess, of Love.

{Chorus/Hook}:
    I am a Goddess,
    A woman, of substance.
    Yes, I got, that magic.
    A strong sense, of self,
    Cause I know, my worth.
    Strong is my body,
    My mind and my soul.
    A Divinity, I embody.
    I’m a Goddess, for sure;
    GODDESS…®

® Written & Composed By Robert Gardiner
    © Copyright April 2nd, 2018

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Rhymes are lyrics

Lyrics are rhymes

All that is is missing is a tune and chorus.

Many of my rhymes are lyrics that I can't put a tune to. I'm not an artist of that calibre.

Really liking this thread

Craig

• Robert Gardiner replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

That's why you partner with a producer or musician Craig.