Weekly Contest Results April 9th

• Meena Krish
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Good Morning Everyone, once again our dedicated judges have given their
    time and effort to make this contest a success. Congrats to our front page winners:
    Karla, Tony and Ben Pickard and to all those who picked up a HM. Congratulations
    everyone and well done!

WINNERS:

Letter from my Notebook by Tony

the immortals by Karla

I Never Once Forgot by Ben Pickard

//COMMENTS//

the immortals by Karla (10 points)

Deep and moving. Excellent subtle rhymes, giving the flow a natural
    voice. Lovers and poetry, poetry and immortality, an interchangeable
    equation well-portrayed by Karla.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“ if you climb silently into my skin, on a cold windy night” Such intrigue just
    in the first two lines of this beautiful poem. The author sweeps their pen-
    delicately across the paper. Each stanza took me deeper into their story, with
    a flow that suited the style of such a delivery. The whole poem simply flawless,
    with some great use of words that did not complicate the message conveyed by the
    author. A story of poetry itself (I felt). The sheer beauty and deepness of how poetry
    really feels to the author. The way the author uses metaphors so gently, gives this
    piece a genuine meaning of their emotions. The title suits this poem so well, “the
    immortals” as their story is also one of something/someone else. Which left me to
    think whether this is just the author and their relationship with ‘poetry’ and/or someone
    that has a special meaning to them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An exceptional poem.

The poet has so much depth and insight that could be seen
    as reflected in her word choice and thoughts.

The opening is mesmerizing and eye-catchy.
    Every aspect of this poem is interesting and fresh.

I admire how the poet spoke of a Second person point of view,
    yet as a reader, I felt I was involved with both characters
    (i and you). Amazing poem.

-----------------------------------------------

Letter from my Notebook by Tony (10 points)

This piece oozes with truth, power and unfortunately reliability as many of us
    have probably been at a low point therefore written in a diary ‘notebook’ to express
    the emotions we're going through. I have fortunately been saved by my very own
    diary through times of hardships and when I felt like no one else understood I had this
    ‘little book of emotions’ where I could let my pen do the talking because I found it difficult
    to talk being told to shut up so often and I knew that this inanimate object wouldn't
    judge me but instead would listen as it certainly had no choice to listen to my
    ramblings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Letter from my Notebook by Tony (10 points)

I found this to be such a powerful articulation of poetry. The notebook writes
    a letter to the poet saying – “I’m here, and I’m all of these things for you”. The
    physical manifestation of the words poets write are given an image (cracked spines
    and grinding teeth) as well as a spectrum of emotions (rage, anger, pain, tears, self-control).
    The fact that our poetry is often a direct reflection of how we’re feeling is also addressed
    (‘the tattered mirror to your soul’). The releasing nature of poetry means we do indeed
    use it to express guilt and love, and to help us grieve and find peace - all boxes ticked here.
    The final stanza expresses how our words can both wound and protect, but mostly poetry
    can be “the voice to voice the things you can’t”. Reading this I felt understood and soothed,
    I’m not sure how else to describe it, but Tony, this is magnificent!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Letter from my Notebook by Tony (7 points)

What an extremely powerful poem; right from
    your notebook to the heart of the reader. It stroke me.

As much as personal this might be, I bet many people
    will say they are in your shoes when it comes to the
    emotions you're feeling.

It's more brilliant how - your notebook - wrote it.
    Nothing knows us more than our diary.

A heart-felt poem, with brilliant rhyme.
    Not one line was forced. Well done.

--------------------------------------------------------
    I never once forgot by Ben Pickard (4 points)

I enjoyed reading this piece very much. The author tells me of their feelings
    around someone special in their life, and the emotions they express so deeply. The
    author paints a picture of how their relationship with ‘another’ gave such meaning to
    them, however as the story continues the picture begins to fade and lose its color of
    love-maybe? the author reflects this with - (“upon a dismal sad goodbye”) and the
    description of their “bridge” built they were unable to “scale the ridge” and the “castle,
    they once built” being their home was “sinking”. The author has written their story in a
    wonderful and flawless rhyming scheme, along with great use of ‘reflective writing’ A
    heartfelt piece, that resonated with myself on many levels. Well done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I Never Once Forgot by Ben Pickard (7 points)

A lovely lengthy poem from Ben to settle down with and enjoy – and I really did.
    My interpretation of this was of a love that suffered from too much time apart, the
    weeds grew and a separation was agreed in order to try to rebuild the love. The
    separation didn’t work and the pair went their separate ways, only to meet again a decade
    later. The poet is ever hopeful, but prepared for the worst. She may come with her love, or
    maybe not, but he’s never forgotten his love for her. To spin such a beautiful tale with such
    heartfelt, poetic rhyme is a craft to be celebrated and respected.

HM’s:

Forbidden Treat by Brise

The same old song by Michael

My Condolences by Purvi Gadia

Time Machine (acrostic) by - Mr. Darcy

Forgiveness by Jamie

Crown Heights (Haiku String) by Poet on the Piano

Chapters Dried by Butterflies (tanka) by Ben Pickard

//COMMENTS//

Forbidden Treat by Brise (4 points)

This for me is the very epitome of playing with fire. Brise has expressed that curious
    craving to have what you can’t or shouldn’t have – knowing that one more step is going
    to complicate life (and not in a good way) but being inexplicably drawn in regardless.
    He (an assumption) knows it too and is most likely trying to be sensible – but her need
    to know for sure if it’s real or imagined on her part will be their undoing. It’s impossible
    to go through life only ever being attracted to the person you’re with, but it’s what you do
    about that attraction that writes the story – one way or the other. An excellent write.

------------------------------------------------
    The same old song by Michael (4 points)

This speaks of unfortunate truths that we are each our own person, each have
    our own woes yet still there are people, circumstances which are much worse of than
    ourselves but what can we do, unless we stand together and fight for the right thing, not
    a lot I suppose. A thought provoking piece which I will read time and again.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Time Machine (acrostic) by Mr. Darcy (4 points)

What I love most about the flow of this poem,
    is the fact that it's an acrostic. I love this form and you nailed it.

The pace is perfect, don't think the word choice could get any better.

I love the topic and how you used it with a twist. It touched me personally.
    If only a time machine could save us all from agony.

Thank you for sharing.

---------------------------------------------------
    My Condolences by Purvi Gadia (4 points)

Well-written and sad enough to move the reader. I suggest removing
    'again' in the very last line.

-----------------------------------------------------

Crown Heights (Haiku String) by Poet on the Piano (7 points)

Maryanne strikes with a straight forward tribute to the still on-going injustice.
    Formed poetry served her purpose. And she served the form further by creating a
    mind blowing scenery that sounds like a bullet. When will all of this end?

---------------------------------------------------------

Forgiveness by Jamie (7 points)

I have to admit I had to look up the meaning of “soliloquies” in the first line. Such
    a wonderful word to use as to describe the state of ones mind. I read this feeling
    such anguish and pain, as the author sadly paints a picture of such dark and saddened
    times. The more I read, the more the story unfolded of the author writing such a personal
    account of their life, all through to the end that hit me hard! The message- is just simply the
    tragedies of abuse and the aftermath that comes all different forms, this one being self-harming.
    A piece that was not the easiest of reads, however the author penned this very well- with the
    use of reflective’ words that gave a harsh message, using a somewhat softer tone. I would like
    to thank the author for sharing their story, one that has so much more unsaid. A piece that
    struck my heart with their reality. Really well written.

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapters Dried By Butterflies (tanka) by Ben Pickard (7 points)

This piece is a whirlwind of emotion and an amazingly filled with images
    that make you believe you're there watching the ‘ink settle on pages of love’
    which makes me believe that this is all about an everlasting love as ink is
    permanent, right?

• Jamie replied to Meena Krish
    6 years ago

Thank you judge for your kind comment and for voting for my poem. Thanks Mark for nominating it.

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Congratulations to my fellow winners and to everyone highlighted this week.
    Thank you so much to the judges for their time and comments.

Ben

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HMs and nominees and thanks to the judges :-)

• Brenda
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! So many beautiful pieces to settle into. Thank you judges for another hard week of making those choices. Thank you Meena for hosting!

• Lost One
    6 years ago

Thanks to Em for the nomination and heartfelt comment, and to the three judges for their votes and comments as well. This was my favorite poem I wrote last week and I'm glad it touched the people that it did.

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Thanks to our judges for giving their time to read our poems and be honest with their comments. Thanks to Moderators too for all their efforts. Congrats to FP, along with the HMs. Thanks to naaz for nominating my poem. And thanks to all the pnq family. Such great support.

• Mr. Darcy replied to Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Wow - what a week of poetry. Thank you to the judge who appreciated my acrostic. Thanks too, to all the winners and fellow HM's - not forgetting the judges who have excelled in the choice and comments. Did I mention the moderators, no? Well, thank you guys. Imagine me group hugging you all...

I may let go tomorrow some time, maybe? :P

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners & HMs. Thank you judges for your service
    Thanks, Meena for hosting.

• Em (marmite)
    6 years ago

Thank you Meena for hosting and all other mods too for all your hard work.
    Thank you judges for judging yet again a shamazing week of poetry.
    Congratulations to Ben, Tony and Karla on your wins and to all HMs

Great job all round!!

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all :)

Thank you Meena for hosting
    Congratulations to all front page winners, with great poems and all HMs awarded.

Thank you to the judges for their time as always, and my comments left on my HM. Much appreciated and to Mr. Darcy for nominating my poem.

Much love
    Michael :)x

• Karla
    6 years ago

thank you judges. i am honoured. in my country those who belong to the Brazilian Academy of Letters are called " the immortals". i was inspired by this idea because we will live forever in the minds/ hearts of those who love what we write. in a way we are immortals too. thanks again. congrats everyone.

• naaz replied to Karla
    6 years ago

Karla, That's interesting!

• naaz
    6 years ago

Congratulations to our front page winners, the HM's and the nominated ones.

Thanks to judges and moderators for all their support and love towards all of us.

I say sorry for not giving any comments on the poems I nominated.

Thanks to Ms Meena for hosting the contest this week.

Let's cheer up together for Karla, Tony, and Ben on their perfect win.

Love you all!