Weekly Results, 16 April 2018

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

It hardly takes a wizard’s wand to draw a connection between two of the poems selected for the front page this week. Indeed, nearly half the judges’ votes went to formed poetry! Such an impact can only be attributed to Hellon’s efforts, so it is especially appropriate that her delightfully lilting palindrome to Wintery rainbows should take top honors. Michael’s magnificent rondeau taking the reader through the Summer rain joins her in the circle along with Jaime’s paean to the Springlike light of his first requited love which rounds out the front page. (Jaime also gets an honorable mention for the Autumnal declaration of difficult Changes.)

A total of four formed poems were honored this week. Great selections, at that, especially considering that twelve (12!) Formed poems were nominated out of thirty-one. I don’t believe we have ever before had a week where more than a third of the poems nominated were formed.

Congrats to all and thank you judges. [Under the experiment of 2 months per term you have two weeks left in this term.]

Judging note from one of the judges to all poets:
    “I would like to say from my heart as a judge, there are truly wonderful poems I read, this week being no exception. I have read some incredible ‘formed poetry’ this week in particular, and I have taken time to read and study the individual forms so as to respect poets with their ability in writing skills.
    “There is a very clever side to formed poetry, and also very restricted! I can now see the difficulty with styled poetry. So “well done” to all that have posted different kinds of poetry - I admire you. However – to how difficult formed poetry is to write, for me it is about the theme and how the author paints their emotions and the depth of their story, whether short or in length, rhymed or otherwise
    To attempt this in formed poetry is truly magnificent, and yes I would certainly say the recognition is worth much credit.
    “Thank you all.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Front page:
    Dancing rainbows (Palindrome) by Hellon 10+7+7 = 24 points
    Summer Rain (Rondeau) by Mr Darcy 10+7 = 17 points
    Love is named Kristen by Jamie 14 points

Honorably Mentioned:
    Mother... Why? (Rondeau) by Tony 11 points
    Chronicles of addiction by Michael 10 points
    Remedy by Maher 10 points
    Chocolate Frostys by poet on the piano 7 points
    An Echo of Innocence (Paradelle) by Darren 4 points
    Changes by Jamie 4 points
    Rebirths in Spring by Mark 4 points

Dancing Rainbows (Palindrome) by Hellon 10 points
    This week has been the hardest to judge - there have been so many wonderful gems of formed poetry! Hellon’s Palindrome is perfect in form and has as much meaning backwards as it does forwards. It paints a beautiful picture of a moment of nature, frozen in time. Icicles and the things that ice and frost do in nature are undeniably stunning, and this poem reflects that brilliantly and takes us right there.

Dancing Rainbows (Palidrome) by Hellon 7 points
    - this was one of the main poems this week which has been stuck in my head and I have read over and over again. The imagery, in fact the whole piece, is sublime.

Dancing rainbows (Palindrome) by Hellon 7 points
    Yet another fine piece of ‘formed’ poetry, which again has a style I was not too familiar with. A piece that reads not only down, but is ‘mirrored’ from a pivotal point in the poem, and then reads back up. I was taken aback by the complexity of this style, one of which the author has penned so very well.
    Again the content and theme of how the author has painted such a beautiful scene of ‘Winter’ and the title “ Dancing rainbows” which captures imagery with a soft and delicate tone. Then reversing with “Icicles” as the central focal point, painting such beauty with their imaginative ink, which reads as well in both ways. A word the author uses – “enchanting” a word I could not find better, than to describe their piece as a whole. Truly enchanting and captivating. I could see the author just sat taking in the wonderment of a beautiful season in its glory, bringing their emotion into nature of a wintry vision. Again very well done with all that is involved with this piece of writing.

Summer Rain (Rondeau) by Mr Darcy 10 points
    This piece of French ‘formed’ poetry is just delightful. I was not familiar with this style, until I read more about the structure. I must say there is far more to this piece after doing so. A poem consisting of – ‘Quatrain’ ‘Quintet’ and ‘sestet’ with a rhyming structure.
    Firstly the author has penned their piece with flawless ink. The ‘syllable count’ is pitch-perfect, along with all that is required for such a formed piece, as to is the flow. Again after reading up more, not an easy task and one I would struggle if attempted, so really well done with this.
    Also as difficult to how this must be to write - there must still be content of story to be told. The author has accomplished this with a nostalgic tone of ‘missing another’ with the rain as a reminder of that person.
    I could almost hear the sound of rain, and what this meant to the author, with their story capturing my heart, and although to how clever a poem is in form the story is the ‘button’ for me.
    A truly lovely piece of formed poetry with a beautiful theme, mixing nature and emotions – albeit a piece that inflicts sad memories. Very well done all round.

Summer Rain (Rondeau) By Mr Darcy 7 points
    I could just as easily have given this my 10 points this week - it was such a tricky choice! Mr Darcy’s beautifully romantic and expertly rhymed rondeau uses the summer rain as a brilliant metaphor to express the fear of drowning in his own tears if he can’t be with his love. There’s no heart alive that wouldn’t flutter a little (or a lot!) to receive such romantic words expressed within this wonderful form.

Love is named Kristen by Jamie 10 points
    Herein, emotions are felt from the very first line. I can feel the poet's heart spilled out. The poem is built as a circle, beginning and ending likewise, and this strengthened the theme further. It's beautiful to read about others' experiences of first love, and the first love here is unique. The sexual side thickened the poem's layers. Great imagery.

Love is named Kristen by Jamie 4 points
    This might not be the number 1 poem for this week, in light of all the wonderful forms published.
    There is no competition anyway this week, all the poem written and nominated deserve to go to the front page.
    It's a very honest raw poem. The writer's heart seemed to be broken yet to brave. I fell in love with the character and how a very personal poem turned out to be so open for public to feel and relate with and to it
    I am at loss of words but just hope this poem makes it to the front page. Pure.

Mother... Why? (Rondeau) by Tony 4 points
    - All I can say about this is that it really hit him to me how some of us don't get along with our parents and though there will be different reasons why it no doubt hurts all the same and this was relatable and extremely beautifully done even if extremely saddening

Mother... Why? (Rondeau) by Tony 7 points
    Oh My Heart. This touched me deeply. Some lines gave me completely sharp goose bumps.
    The form is wonderful and was nailed. Tp write such a form with so much emotions, it is very creative and talented.
    I don't have not even one suggestion. The poem is nailed. Well done!!

Chronicles of addiction by Michael 10 points
    - in my opinion this is a very raw, relatable and brave write because it speaks of addiction (here Michael's addiction) and one which he has openly spoken on the site about. I say it's relatable as many of us have addictions some we hide, some we don't but they are still no doubt hard to succumb and bad for us all the same.

Remedy by Maher 10 points
    What an amazing poem. This is more like a written movie script. We have a complete story over here with a sad ending.
    I love your word choice and every image you drew with your lines. I was touched by the whole piece and feel like I could relate to it.
    The open questions at the end of the poem are heartbreaking.
    The title 1st gives you a positive impression, just for hopelessness to loom at the end.
    Well written.

Chocolate Frostys. By poet on the piano 7 points
    I gave this piece 7 points although it deserves 10. But I just wanted Maryanne to edit it, reshape it, rewrite it. Because its beauty can be tripled, maybe by making it more ambiguous, more subtle? Anyway, the journey of failed suicide attempt and the rehabilitation afterwards was so moving. The reader can easily sympathize. I also liked the subtle rhymes in the first half. But why the footnote at the end? The message doesn't need explanation.

An Echo of Innocence (Paradelle) By Darren 4 points
    It feels like a bit of an insult to give this just 4 points – but the nominations this week have been stunning. Please know Darren that I think this is worth more! The strict form of the paradelle can render a poem nonsense by re-using previous words. Not so in this case, and I think that the final stanza holds as much gravity as the previous three with this sad and powerful observation about how the innocence of love and hope of a child are so easily stolen with war and oppression. A difficult subject within a difficult form - brilliantly crafted.

Changes by Jamie 4 points
    I'm in love with this week's nominations. The title is a perfect fit, and Jamie never ceases to amaze me. Few people can write about depression and immensely touch you, and Jamie is one of them. No words, really. The ending is a line to remember.

Rebirths in Spring by Mark 4 points
    I read this piece a few times to absorb the sheer beauty of this story of ‘Springtime’ unfolding. The author takes me through a myriad of stanzas, which are penned with words so sublime. The author paints a wonderful picture, using their palate of colours and imagery, of a season bringing life again (or as the title says “rebirths” ) with such intricate lines, one of which is – “The natural drooping bells, mirror the passing snow” so delicate upon reflection, in fact the author is so subtle with their story. A piece that flows from one verse to another effortlessly, melting the joys of Springtime into my heart. An enjoyable read. Well done.

• Jamie replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Thank you judges for the votes and the comments on my poems, and ben and em for nominating both of mine.

• Meena Krish replied to Jamie
    6 years ago

WOW!!Well done everyone!! Congratulations to the front page winners
    and to all those who got a HM!

Thank you judges for your time and thank you for hosting
    Larry :)

• Darren
    6 years ago

well done everyone involved.

Tough week to be a judge this week.
    Thanks for the HM, just glad to be writing something again

My thanks to Hellon for that,

• Brenda

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Amazing, amazing writes all around! Thank you always judges for your dedication and the hard choices. Larry thank you for hosting!

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all :)

What a week! Thank you Larry for a great introduction

Well done to all front page winners, some really great formed poetry all well deserved. Congratulations to all HM's awarded.
    Thank you to the poets for nominating my poems, and the judges for their continued work. Also to the judge for my lovely comment and my HM.
    The bar is raised somewhat, which is always the challenge :)

Much love
    Michael :)x

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Congrats everyone! :-)

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Wonderful choices all round and may I just say what a wonderful week of poetry this site has enjoyed, so a genuine and massive thank you to Hellon for being no small part of that.

All the best

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Larry, thanks, for hosting. No one hosts the weekly contest better than you. Congratulations to all the winners. Read so many different styles of poetry.
    Sincere thanks to our wonderful judges and moderators behind everything. Thanks to brenda and Em for nominating my poems. And thanks to all the pnq friends for supporting me.

• naaz
    6 years ago

Congratulations to our front page winners, the HM's and the nominated ones.

Thanks to judges and moderators for all their support and love towards all of us.

I say sorry for not giving any comments on the poems I nominated.

Thanks to sir Larry for hosting the contest this week.

Let's cheer up together for Hellon, Mr. Darcy, and Jamie on their perfect win.

Love you all!

• Hellon

Firstly I'd like to thank Larry for hosting....to the judges for their lovely comments which, I hope you know by now, are always appreciated. I didn't get on to the nominations thread this week so...whoever nominated my poem...thank you so much.

I'm very humbled by this win because it has come in the mist of so many wonderful poems and, yes I'm glad it has been acknowledged that there was a lot of great formed poetry posted this week. I think this has been a learning curve for a lot of members, both new and old and, if I've contributed in a small way I'm glad but I have to conclude...you've all had the poetry in you, perhaps you just needed a little nudge. I'd like to share my win with all of you who took part, you should all take a well deserved bow...:)

I'd also like to acknowledge the judge who took time to make a collective comment on all the nominations this week....thank you.

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Wonderful job, everybody. Thank you to Larry for hosting. Thank you to the judge for your honest commentary on my piece. Congrats to all!

• Mr. Darcy
    6 years ago

Formed poetry is rocking the foundations of this site - thanks to Hellon and all those who are taking part in the threads.

Thanks, Larry for hosting and to all the judges for their hard work and those who support me. Congratulations to fellow winners and all HM's

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all! Very well done. The surge in formed poetry is exciting and I love how collaborative/encouraging/helpful everyone has been in learning new forms.

Larry is absolutely without a doubt 100% our best weekly contest host. His intros deserve their own prize.

• Hellon
    6 years ago

Can I just suggest that the member's name who nominates a poem stays on the poem's page after the week is over so that authors who have not had time to look on the nominations thread are aware of who actually nominated their poem. I know, at the moment, the members name shows up on the poem prior to the winners being announced but, to be honest, I never revisit my work after it's posted unless someone is querying a typo or something.

Probably something to be added to the never ending list but I just thought I'd put it out there.

• naaz replied to Hellon
    6 years ago

OMG!

Just because you were too busy in that wonderful thread you opened up to polish the writing of new and old members and you didn't get time to see who nominated your poem 'dancing rainbows';

You want the moderators to do something about that.

Please, don't show this much love for me.

I will drown.

But, hellon, thank you for everything.

You are a wonderful person.

• Hellon replied to naaz
    6 years ago

Back up right now Naaz...I never said that I was too busy to visit the nominations thread just that I didn't go there this week. So...I regret that I did not acknowledge your nomination and that is because I didn't know who nominated it so now...I'm trying to come up with a solution to the problem. As I said, I doubt if the mods can do anything about it but...I'm just trying to make them aware so that, if Janis every returns he may do something about it...

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

The nominations page is saved each week
    If you need to know who nominated your poem in the future you can ask me