something that may just make you laugh

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

So, I was in a rather intoxicated state last night, brought on by copious amounts of red wine, when my daughter said 'So Daddy, what is iambic pentameter again?' (she is 10, and loves writing poetry and I, surprisingly, have been teaching the kids sonnets).
    Anyway, we got on to iambic feet - the idea of an unstressed/stressed syllable in that order and the example I chose to give her was rather an unfortunate one. I said, 'here's an example of a perfect iambic foot. Say the word "deterred". The "de" is unstressed but it's the second syllable of the word that is stressed - it's the "terred" that you are pushing out...'

• Sunshine replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Lool ! I think it is wonderful that you are teaching your kids already how to write sonnets. I also like that she likes writing poetry. It's lovely!

• Mr. Darcy replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Very funny. She sounds like a 'chip off the old block'
    ...though, keep her away from the vino! Lol

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Ha .. ha.
    That's really fececal ... err .. farcical.

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Very good, Larry. :)

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Sounds like poetry runs in your jeans.

• Koan replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

^^^^^ Now thats funny for sure... !!!

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Thanks for the laugh, Ben. Also, that's super cool you are teaching your daughter about iambic pentameter. Mad respect to you!

I wish I had a witty response, but alas, I am too pooped for the day to wreck my brain for something ;)

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

So, I try and post something moderately amusing which is a real struggle for me, I can tell you, but alas, every reply to my unfortunate tale has surpassed it in the humour stakes...
    From here on out, I will stick to miserable poetry.

• Meena Krish replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

haha...oh Ben...its good you are teaching her how to write a Sonnet
    and I'm sure she will do fine just like her father :)

• Kitty Cat Lady replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

haha ... brilliant Ben ... and as funny as it is (and it is!) this will probably forever more now act as a reminder for me about stressed/unstressed syllables! :-)

• Everlasting replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

Lol

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

Ben words fail me at this moment as laughter prevails, thank you!!!