Weekly Contest Results 4/30/18

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Yoohooooo! I hope no one minds the results are being posted a few hours early :)
    Congratulations to our winners.
    Larry's free verse grants deeper insight into a personal journey of growth and adaptation.
    Michael's rondeau is rich with rhythm and warmth.
    Andrea's beautiful tribute to her daughter wilts with sorrow, yet blooms with strength and hope.

Thank you to our judges, sub judges (mods), poets, and nominators. This week wraps up another successful term. Judges who are being demoted are now free to reveal themselves and post their comments to poems if they like. Thank you immensely for your time and effort.

-Jane

WINNERS:

Going Out to Play In the World by Larry Chamberlain: 10 + 7 + 7 = 24
    We will walk together (rondeau) by Michael: 10 + 7 = 17
    Stronger than Sorrow by Maple Tree: 10 + 4 = 14

COMMENTS FOR WINNERS:

Going Out to Play In the World
    by Larry Chamberlain

“I keep re-reading stanzas and marveling at how incredible it is you shared this, and that you wrote such a honest piece, not withholding emotion nor letting shame silence you anymore. Even acknowledging how shame snuck its way in. Every person's journey should be celebrated and what's even more touching is that you hope others can feel this "lightness", this truth in who they are, not to live in a constant fear of isolation but to know there are others who have lived happy, fulfilled and loved, and that they are not alone. Coming to this openly, seeking understanding and support, it's beautiful. And I have no more words to say other than thank you for sharing this important journey, and I hope it reaches others. To know, embrace and be your most authentic self is the most inspirational message.” (10)

"This piece really touched me and Larry has shared with us a totally unique perspective of the world from a mind that’s wired differently but is no less brilliant. What really struck me (and Larry forgive me for referencing your age) is that autism today is a familiar word, and even those of us that may not know much about it, have some inkling of the many ways in which autism manifests itself. When Larry was a child, there was very little understanding of any such condition, and the labels imposed on autistic people (I can only begin to imagine the comments from ignorant people) and the general treatment thereof, would have been more debilitating than the condition itself! Although this is a sad, reflective piece, I really enjoyed the fascinating glimpse of the world seen from a totally different angle. Thank you for sharing something that’s so deeply personal.” (7)

“A poem that takes you on a journey indeed, and what a journey.
    Such an incredibly inspiring and thought-provoking poem.

I enjoyed the narrative tone and the descriptive tonality 
    in each of the stanzas. There is so much depth and magic
    to the words written. 

In this poem we can see a poet, a philosopher and an
    authentic human being. 

One of the best poems that I have read, lately.
    Thank you for sharing!” (7)

----------

We will walk together (rondeau)
    by Michael

“I have fallen in love with the rondeau, and I have fallen in love with Michael’s poem. I vote for this poem to replace traditional wedding vows as this piece says it all! This is what love should be – not promises of a rosy garden, but an acknowledgement that life can be pretty sour a lot of the time – and a promise of seeing those hard times through together. Absolutely wonderful!” (10)

“I just love a love poem and this is definitely one of the best I've read recently, an upbeat and beautifully written piece and a formed one too which makes it in my eyes all the more superb.” (7)

----------

Stronger than Sorrow
    by Maple Tree

“I have read this countless times and each time I find something more beautiful about it, something that moves me like I've never been moved before by a piece of poetry even more so knowing that this is real, no sugar coating it so to speak. I'll need another box of tissues soon though.” (10)

“Again, Andrea shares pain from her heart as well as the voice of her beautiful daughter that she is more than this sorrow. I think sometimes as poets we are expected to write of our pain and become stronger because of it... but sometimes we hurt, there is no logic or satisfying conclusion, and that's okay. We are allowed to mourn, to feel that heartbreak and not always be able to pick ourselves up right away. An honest write full of the purest kind of love for a special, beloved daughter.” (4)

COMMENTS FOR HONORABLE MENTIONS:

The dead rose.
    by Purvia Gadia

“I really loved this poem from the bottom of my heart. 
    The description is so vivid and so accurate. 

The word choice for describing the colors of 
    the fading flower and how delicate it is, 
    was so mesmerizing and real. 

It's very sad and touching whilst not too dramatic which 
    gave it a very elegant shade. 

The closing line touched my heart. Sometime's
    memories fade, and items from loved ones
    start to get old. Time can pass over everything,
    but not emotions.” (10) 

----------

Just a kid
    By Alice Rider

“This certainly is a very sad piece indeed. The author tells of a child with a mother in the clutches of heroin addiction. Although this poem has been written quite short and quite simplistic, the author delivers a stark and very sad reality in content. The trials and tribulations (in the literary sense) of how dark drug addiction can be, and for a child of just “six” to endure the damnation of their mothers habit.
    The author writes as if this about maybe someone they know, or something that have read about – I am not to sure, but my heart goes out to the family concerned. The author describes a very sad situation, as another child is also brought into their story and the abuse that these children go through makes my heart- wrench it really does. Certainly not an easy read, however the author has done this with basic colours and painted a scene very well, and that there is far, far more to this story.
    I could pick up in places where the vocabulary/grammar could be slightly tweaked (maybe an intention) however I do not want to spoil the way the author has written this in a raw and honest way. Very well done, albeit a very sad story.” (10)

----------

Catastrophe
    by Aegis 

“I remember in your previous poems you had almost resented the ability to pen such gorgeous words, yet not do so in speaking and perhaps there was a disconnect there. But in this piece, I see a birth of chaos, and an energy and passion for it. No longer is your soul "barren", and that word, on its own separate line, gives great depths to the emptiness in which you felt. I also really like the title and that one word, because catastrophe is often synonymous with "disaster" and "tragedy", always final and with negative connotations... but I think it can be deemed as something great and powerful, something taking over your original motive and break from poetry. The line about what you weaponize were beyond thought-provoking, like perhaps in hiding truths you only did more harm. The final lines are so profound and speak of a release, a freedom you can finally grasp. Personal and what seemed like a necessary write. Welcome back.” (7)

----------

Creating the other shoe
    By Valiantpenguin

“A rather intriguing title I must say, which drew me in from the start. The author paints a picture of a familiar saddened story I’m sure many of us can relate to, and the struggles endured while battling with anxiety. The author tells their story very well, also the way in which the poem has been written with long and short sentences – like taking breaths between each line, giving their piece a real feel to it. 
    The poem itself is quite an easy read, as the author makes use of words to give the reader an understanding of their suffering – I refer to one part “though ears bend at every direction, I do not turn to them” as if the author is saying people are there to listen, however the author finds it difficult to express to others of their anxiety. Maybe?
    A brave and open piece of writing, which as I mentioned before reads really well, albeit a sad state of reality. Thank you for sharing, and I hope this is something you will come through. Very well done. Just a small “it” changed to “is” third verse?” (7)

----------

Chinks in the wall (diamante)
    By Larry Chamberlain

“It certainly is the season of ‘formed poetry’ and again I found myself reading up on this style. A piece that certainly looks easier than I imagine to write.
    First of all I liked the title the author chose for their poem, which describes this piece well. A poem full of ‘nouns’ and ‘adjectives’ and cleverly how the author starts with “hate” and comes to the ‘autonym’ of the subject. The author uses words to their full which describes the subject so well. So very much opposite words, but with just a few in-between brings them together, however so far apart. In truth it made feel that our ‘emotions’ are so very close to one another – fine lines!
    A wonderful piece of formed poetry. Well done.” (4)

----------

Faster
    by Kate

“This resonated a lot with me and I found myself singing along though saddening there was an upbeat tune about it.” (4)

----------

Searching For a Dream
    By William Mae

“Very vivid and accurate, it's full of emotions and love.
    There is massive amount of sentiments that could be
    felt with every line. 

The poet opened their heart and mind and poured
    all of their yearning and devotion in this poem. 
    The whole scene was busy with the beauty of 
    the two lover's harmony, just to be left with a
    perhaps sad ending, finding out the the love affair
    is but a journey in the poet's dream.

It is said that we mostly dream about what 
    we are missing and what we most think about.
    To dream, is also to be able to reach what we cannot
    achieve while being awake. Dreaming sets us free..

A touching and a lovely poem.” (4)

----------

What she thinks...
    By Chelo

“Isn’t it funny how the unpleasant things that people say about us are the comments that lodge in our minds, rather than the wonderful things? I think (particularly for women), there is a pressure to live up to a totally unrealistic standard about physical appearance, that even supermodels cannot achieve without the aid of enhancement (be it plastic or digital). What the world needs is more people like Chelo to override those negative inner thoughts by noticing and voicing all of the wonderful things that they love about their partner. It just takes one person to show you that they think you are amazing – to make you feel amazing … yes, I know – we should be able to find that acceptance for ourselves – but that’s unrealistic IMO. The beautiful simplicity of how this poem was written, and all that it embodies won my vote. Really well done!” (4)

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Well done, all, some more wonderful choices. One of the judges mentioned falling in love with the rondeau - me too, and Michael has penned a cracker there, hasn't he?

Take care

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

It is not yet 6:00 am here and I have about 15 minutes of internet. I am both immensely pleased and yet embarrassed for the win. I came close to deleting the poem several times. Thank you judges for the supportive comments and insights. Thanks also for the HM. Congrats to Michael and Andrea and the fellow HMs.
    Thank you judges for your work and Jane for hosting. Thanks also to Michael (Mr Darcy) and Brenda for nominating the poems.

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Thank you Jane for hosting this week. Congratulations to all the winners. Read so many different styles and really good poems.
    Sincere thanks to our wonderful judges and moderators behind everything. Thanks to kitty and naaz for nominating my poems. And thanks to all the pnq friends for supporting me.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HMs and nominees and thanks to Jane for hosting :-)

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

I write for me and for Robyn these days, we both thank all of you for your heart felt compassion, love and support.

It's a joy to be on the front page with Michael and Larry, two lovely gentleman whom I adore.

Congratulations to everyone and I thank all involved, hugs you

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

*Mr. Darcy, looks from right to left, looking appeciatingly at each responsible member for the weekly contest and claps enthusiastically*

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi All :)

Thank you to Jane for hosting this week.

Congratulations to the front pagers and HMs awarded, and for the wonderful comments on my poem (sneaky cat haha)

Thank you to all the judges for their term-time, and their precious time each week sifting through some wonderful work of PnQ poets.

Thank you to Mark for my nomination, and Ben for your comment and all the mods

Much love
    Michael :)x

• Brenda

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! A lovely cross section of poems to read and marvel over. Thank you judges for all your hard work and for Jane for hosting.

• PnQ Mod Account replied to Larry Chamberlin

I'm relieved you did not delete the poem, Larry. It is excellent.

Jane

• naaz
    5 years ago

Congratulations to our front page winners, the HM's and the nominated ones.

Thanks to judges and moderators for all their support and love towards all of us.

Thanks to Jane for hosting the contest this week.

Let's cheer up together for sir Larry , Michael sir and our dearest Andrea and Robyn on their perfect win.

Love you all!

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Such powerful, touching poems!! Huge congrats to Larry, Michael and Andrea... as well as all of the beautiful HM' s. Thank you so much to the judges for this term and thank you Jane for hosting.

• Darren
    5 years ago

Congrats and well done to all involved

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

Well done everyone some fabulous poetry highlighted again this week

• William Mae
    5 years ago

Thank you for the HM, thanks for the comments and for all the reads. Congratulations to all the other great poets here at PQ

• Meena Krish replied to William Mae
    5 years ago

Congrats to the front page Winners and HMs
    Thank you judges and mods for your time and thank you
    for hosting Jane :)