Poet of the Fortnight #19: Ben (May 11 - May 25, 2018)

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Ben, formerly known as naughtymouse, has been randomly selected as our 19th Poet of the Fortnight (PotF)! Ben is a 37-year-old man living in the UK, whose profile states, "some of you like me and some don't but that's ok," but I don't know a soul on PnQ who doesn't like Ben! I'm a big fan myself. Anyway, Ben's most recent account was created in the winter of 2017, but don't let that fool you because he's been around :)
    Please welcome Ben to his own special thread, and be sure to read his latest poem posted just below:

----
    Emeralds & Songbirds (An Old Rhyming Nana Challenge)

I wish that it
    rained emeralds for you,
    as you bathe in
    the eternal sunsets hue
    and time would slow
    to mark your grace,
    savouring the beauty
    on your face.

With strength I watch
    your passion swell,
    your voice sings to me
    my own liberty bell,
    as I hold your hand
    to the bluebirds song,
    we dance through the
    tulips all night long.

If winter should
    fall early this year,
    it would be your warmth to
    melt my crystal tears.
    And with patience
    you would watch them dry,
    I would sleep to your
    sweet lullaby.
    ----

Ben, please fill out this public survey when you find time. You can pass any question/prompt in this thread, just write "Pass." I will ask 10 questions total throughout the next 2 weeks, and members of the community are encouraged to participate by asking questions of their own. Here's the survey:

Meaning behind your PnQ name:
    Birth place:
    Languages spoken:
    When you discovered PnQ and why you joined:
    Favorite poet(s):
    Book you are currently reading:
    Song you last listened to:
    Inspirations for writing:
    5 truths about yourself:

• Sunshine replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

BigBen. Aaaaah that poem. I did not notice that you published it until Jane posted it here! I should challenge you again. I love this poem a lot.

• Ben replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

Meaning behind your PnQ name: it's my name :)

Birth place:Kent, UK

Languages spoken: English & Hebrew

When you discovered PnQ and why you joined: when myself and my son's mother split i got very drunk and for some reason wrote a poem on a beer crate for my boy, it stayed in the glove box of my car for a year or two and one day I found it and read it, I still don't know why I then searched online for poetry but then found pnq and started reading poetry, Meme was the first pnqer I read :) I decided to post the poem and it got a fantastic reception, I'd never been interested in poetry before then and many of you sparked my imagination and love for the written word :)

Favorite poet(s): Komachi, Li Po, Jill Scott, Poe, Harry Baker, Neil Hilborn, Sabrina Benaim and a million others.

Book you are currently reading: Marcus aurelius: Meditations.

Song you last listened to:Jimi Hendrix all along the watch tower.

Inspirations for writing: love, loss, nature and enlightenment.

5 truths about yourself: I am an anti-theist, a strong believer that hard work pays off, a sucker for a love poem, fulled by coffee and truly believe that bacon and cheese makes everything better :)

This totally made me smile thankyou Jane and Nana :)

• Ben replied to Sunshine
    5 years ago

lol oh I forgot to say...bring on your challenge Nana :)

• Sunshine replied to Ben
    5 years ago

On its way to your inbox! @ challenge

- Is there a poem that you've read in the past and which left an impact over you ? If any ?

- What's your favorite movie ?

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

Yaaay 'other' Ben please don't take that the wrong way as it makes you no less of a poet and a gent in my eyes.

If you were on a chat show ie Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer what would the headline be and why??

5 years ago

I'm totally up for that Nana :)

- Is there a poem that you've read in the past and which left an impact over you ? If any ?..........there are so many, I seem to absorb poetry books like a sponge (I hvae literally hundreds of Poetry books lol) at the moment the one that comes to mind the most would be "Shipwreck My Soul In Your Eyes" by Craig Charles, I think the reason it left such an impact with me is that i've always known Craig Charles as "Lister" a space bum in a UK show called red dwarf, The poem give me an inner smile and I find it all the more compelling as it came from a "Space Bum"

Shipwreck My Soul In Your Eyes

I want a cold pebble beach,
    I want sea in your hair,
    I want salt and sand in your skin,
    I want to bathe my hands in the waves of your hair,
    And bathe your body all tight and trim
    And shipwreck my soul in your eyes.

I want to see you dressed real minimalist,
    In lycra and lace
    The cool damp cotton towel
    Can wipe mascara from your face
    And I will shipwreck my soul in your eyes.

'Cause your pretty in lace and satin and silk
    You're mine.
    That's not to say own you,
    Just a time share holding.

She's pretty, she's pale, she's soft, she's warm, she's clean,
    She's the computer rash in my machine
    Affecting mind and motion, thought and deed,
    And wherewithal,
    My love.
    Where, with all my love.

It's either that or "If You Forget Me" - Pablo Neruda.

I want you to know
    one thing.

You know how this is:
    if I look
    at the crystal moon, at the red branch
    of the slow autumn at my window,
    if I touch
    near the fire
    the impalpable ash
    or the wrinkled body of the log,
    everything carries me to you,
    as if everything that exists,
    aromas, light, metals,
    were little boats
    that sail
    toward those isles of yours that wait for me.

Well, now,
    if little by little you stop loving me
    I shall stop loving you little by little.

If suddenly
    you forget me
    do not look for me,
    for I shall already have forgotten you.

If you think it long and mad,
    the wind of banners
    that passes through my life,
    and you decide
    to leave me at the shore
    of the heart where I have roots,
    remember
    that on that day,
    at that hour,
    I shall lift my arms
    and my roots will set off
    to seek another land.

But
    if each day,
    each hour,
    you feel that you are destined for me
    with implacable sweetness,
    if each day a flower
    climbs up to your lips to seek me,
    ah my love, ah my own,
    in me all that fire is repeated,
    in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten,
    my love feeds on your love, beloved,
    and as long as you live it will be in your arms
    without leaving mine.

- What can I say i'm a sucker for a love poem :)

- What's your favorite movie ? - This is a hard one, I love movies of all types......it would either be one of the Starwars Movies, Avatar, one flew over the cuckoo's nest or the Godfather.

• Ben replied to Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

lol i've known you long enough now Em ;)

If you were on a chat show ie Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer what would the headline be and why??

I couldn't stop grinning at that one :)

I think it would be "Why do I fall for morons and can someone get me a kebab"

• Sunshine
    5 years ago

ohh Neruda's poem is one of my favorites too, it resembles me. Beautiful poems, Ben!

5 years ago

Neruda is one of my all time greats, he truly had a poetic heart

• Darren
    5 years ago

Great to see you get a spot in the sunlight Ben

I am glad you are back first of all,
    My question

What is the hardest thing you have ever done?

• Ben replied to Darren
    5 years ago

Thanks Fella, it is nice to be back....again....last time though promise :)

What is the hardest thing you have ever done?

Without meaning to sound like a douche, that's a hard one, there are many hard things that life has passed in front of me, being away from my son and then suddenly becoming a single parent overnight (I wouldn't have it any other way) that was kinda mental, being in a rocket attack in Israel was Hard too but having said that people in that region ( on both sides of the borders) have to deal with it every day, week, month, year so I wouldn't class that really though I am just thankful that Me and My family don't have that in our lives all the time.

I think it was separating from my wife, she lived in the states and me and Alfie were moving there to be a family all together, we used to travel every two to three months back and forth over the pond and made real plans for a life together, then, two months before we moved (after an unbelievable amount of planning) I had a lady contacting me telling me that her sons father had moved in with my wife.....yup ....that's a killer....what was worse that I suspected and was called paranoid and stupid for even thinking it. what was hard about it is that she was my best friend above all else and to be treated like an enemy cut me unbelievably deep not only that but her family knew what was going on and they still let me and Alfie find out the way we did, this is unforgivable to me, I'm not perfect by any means and i have broad shoulders for my problems but myson is 9 and didn't deserve to be treated like that....the worse thing about all of that was how it affected Alfie, he has trust issues enough with women after his mother abandoned him to live a "single life" he was heart broken and so was I.

But, a year and a half on, we are doing good, we have a new apartment on the beach, literally, he has started a new school and is lovin the beach life and I am very thankful for the support and kindness from my family and friends :))

Sorry that wasn't supposed to sound all moany lol

• Sunshine replied to Ben
    5 years ago

sorry for all that you have went through Ben. I also am sorry for Aflie. With proper love and support he will learn to find trust again, it shall heal when it is time.

Glad you guys have moved on in a way or another. A fresh start always helps.

5 years ago

Thank you Nana, he is the most amazing and resilient little boy I have ever known, it is an honor to have him with me and a blessing, I am lucky to have him :)

• Darren replied to Ben
    5 years ago

No need to apologise

You have been through a lot. Glad you can talk about it here.

• Em (marmite) replied to Ben
    5 years ago

I'm so glad you didn't take it the wrong way :)

Hahaha erm I can't answer the morons thing but I could get you a kebab if you like??

What era would you go back to if you could and why?

5 years ago

Lol :)

What era would you go back to if you could and why?

I'd go back to a time when there were no man made machines or mechanical noises...I'd like to know what the earth sounded like without those things. ..I'm not a betting man but I bet it was peaceful as shit omg :)

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Hello Ben :P

So your time in the sun has come. Time for us to strip you down to your stripy boxers... I say, they are rather tight, aren't they! lol

Alfie sounds like a chip of the old block. Children are so resilient and Alfie obviously draws his strength from those around him. Be proud, you deserve to be.

Questions - well, okay:

1. You live in Kent. Kent has many coastal towns, like Margate and BroadStairs - do you like these tourist places, or do you seek the more 'off the beaten track' Beach walks?

2. Do you have any poetry ambitions?

3. Do you, or have you have/had any pets. If so, tell us all.

4. If you could design your perfect sci-fi body what would this body look like? For example, would you have a 3rd leg? :P

5. You are obviously a talented and creative, but what other creative talents do you have. Don't say, breathing through my ears!

• Ben replied to Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

1. You live in Kent. Kent has many coastal towns, like Margate and BroadStairs - do you like these tourist places, or do you seek the more 'off the beaten track' Beach walks?

Well lol, I grew up on that coast, went to college in Broadstairs and Margate is actually where we moved too lol were a bit out of the town so the tourists kinda stay out of our way :) I love all the coastal towns but (I lived in Southend for 5 ish years too) I do admit to preferring the less touristy areas I am lucky to have travelled as much as i have all over the world and i love the UK coastline and off the track areas we are lucky to live in such a beautiful country. ..but having said that i don't think I've ever been to an ugly one, the earth is beautiful from head to toe it's just the humans I don't like much hahaha

2. Do you have any poetry ambitions? 
    Not really, i've done some open mic stuff and a slam or too which was so much fun and my e book has sold pretty good, i guess just to learn more about wordcraft and become better at writing what I want to say the way I want to say it :)

3. Do you, or have you have/had any pets. If so, tell us all. lol I love animals, I have two crested geckos one called Tesla (after Nikolai Tesla) and one called Darwin (I won't insult your intelligence) and a 8 month old giant lop rabbit called lopsey- she's a house rabbit so runs around freely hopping and bunking all over the shop and she's pure white like Alice in wonderland lol

4. If you could design your perfect sci-fi body what would this body look like? For example, would you have a 3rd leg? :P

hahaha I'd be brave star, eyes of the wolf, strength of the bear, speed of the puma and a thing to make an elephant blush lmao ooooooo ;)

5. You are obviously a talented and creative, but what other creative talents do you have. Don't say, breathing through my ears!

That's nice of you to say fella :) I've played guitar since I was a boy and I love chilling and playing (but I do have a child so not much time for that recently lol) I'm a pretty bad as landscaper too, I've designed parts of gardens for friends which I have loved doing. ....but.....I can also breath through my ears :)

Good questions fella I hope you are good :)

5 years ago

I bet it was.

If you could learn to do one thing you haven't already what would it be and why?

5 years ago

Ah that's easy :)

I'd live completely off grid, log cabin somewhere remote, raise animals, grow veggies, solar and water power for electricity it would be as close to bliss as I'd care to get :)

• Ben Pickard replied to Ben
    5 years ago

^^

Ben, I have yet to ask you a single thing, but I believe this comment is the reason we understand each other so well.

I'd just like to say I was lazy before and didn't read through earlier questions etc but know I have and I take my hat off to you, you've been run through the mill and as (I'm sure it was Mr D) said Alfie is definitely a chip off the old block and you must be super proud to call him yours, yes it probably won't be easy for either of you to trust but together you'll crack it. <3

That's amazing Ben and something I'd love to do also.. There's too much ignorance and electronics nowadays isn't there, don't get me wrong I love my phone as it connects me to you guys and friends I haven't seen in years but I could live with out it if I needed too.

If there's one thing in life you could go back and change, would you and risk it changing other things abit like back to the future??

• Liz
    5 years ago

Hi, Ben!!

Do your geckos still have their tails or are they frog butts? Lol mine still has hers and I'm so terrified of her dropping it!

What is one piece of advice you hope your son will follow into his adult years?

What is the best advice (you feel) someone ever gave you?

• Ben replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

I hear you fella (fist bump, blow it up lol)

5 years ago

Thank you Em, I appreciate your words:)

I don't think I would change anything....the past however ugly or painful makes us what we are, it can shape us dramatically or just change an opinion in the smallest of matters, it is a funny thing because the past is everything and nothing all at the same time. ....like I say it shapes and molds us to who we are...yet it is ultimately up to us how we firstly deal with the present and secondly look to the future, if we are truly happy with who we are in the stillness of our heart then we've no need to change the past. .....If we aren't happy with who we are and wish to change ourselves then often looking to events in the past will help, what lessons could we have learned or dealt with situations differently etc

And the future is with honest and mindful consideration what ever we want it to be. ...humans are both the prisoner and liberator of our own future and so literally anything is possible if approached in the right way.

Having said that back to the future is legendary and should be compulsory watching world wide :)))

• Ben replied to Liz

Hey poetess!

hahaha nooo they've still got theirs :) yours should be fine as long as she's not freaked by anything like really loud noises or a sudden appearance a cat at her tank lol :)

Best advice for my boy? The same advice I'd give to anyone of any age and the best advice someone gave me;

You are an individual and that is a wonderful thing, life is about experiences and not aquired things, the world is a wide and wonderful place with SO MUCH to see and experience. .......yourself and time is your worst enemy in life, do not take forever to learn the basics because youth is wasted on the young and time does not wait.

I hope that doesn't sound too pious lol I am far from perfect no one is but I think this advice is pretty sound :)

5 years ago

Ben I absolutely love your answer. That is all.. You good man are a true wonder!!

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Yay Ben, you own post! First off, I love, love, love your poems! You write beautifully and your love poems, so swoon worthy...BTW, I listened to your poem you did for one of your slam events and it was amazeballs! Let's put it this way, I needed to fan myself lol....:)
    I think Alfie is a very lucky young man to have you for his Dad. It takes a special kind of guy to raise a child. My husband was a single parent to both his boys and he really did an amazing job with them. I know at times it feel likes you are being pulled in about a thousand different directions being both Dad and Mom but I have complete faith you will be splendid and succeed.
    What is your favorite season and why? What is your favorite food? Are you a good cook? What is that one dish you positively slay? What other music do you listen to? Jimi Hendrix is amazeballs. Is there any one song you could listen to over and over again?

5 years ago

Thanks Em that's sweet of you to say :)

• Ben replied to Brenda

Hi Brenda!!

it isn't easy being both mum and dad but on days where you don't want to hold them in place by magnets its an honor lol your husband sounds like a good man, single parents (especially ones where the ex partner doesn't have anything to do with their kids) are as strong as they come, we've gotta be or we'd be a mess! :)

What is your favorite season and why?

Autumn is my favourite, it's not cold but then it's not baking hot, and the colours and smells of a forest or wood in the autumn is magical :) in truth i love all seasons but the Autumn is a magical time for me :)

What is your favorite food?

that is a hard one because I think i love almost all food, Indian food is my favourite....but then I do love ribs and a sloppy joe! so yeah those......or BBQ :)

Are you a good cook?

oh hell yes, i am a culinary genius!! impromptu meals when the boy brings his friends in or a feast on $10 I got the kitchen magic :)

What is that one dish you positively slay?

Lamb Kashmiri - Indian in origin, has lots of coconut and almonds with sticky coconut rice - inbox me if you want a recipe :) I have been tempted to start a recipe thread on here we have recipes from all around the world in our ranks!!!

What other music do you listen to?

ahhh.....Music is soulfood and I can dine FOREVER!!! i'll list a few as I would be here until Alfie starts shaving lol

ACDC, Hendrix, Steve Vai, JJ Grey, BB King, Frank Zappa, ZZTop (older stuff is better), Gary Moor, Polyphia, Bob Marly, lots of SKA, Josh Kumra, Ben Howard, Metallica, GNR, Pantera, Puya, LP (She is freaking awesome), Ozric Tentacles, Nina Simone, Marvin Gaye, Louis Armstrong and literally thousands of others, I have about 65GB of music on my external drive so my list is inexhaustible.

Is there any one song you could listen to over and over again?
    Lost on you by LP and Touching Tongues by Steve Vai

I think that's about it :) Awesome questions B!

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

What's your motto in life?
    What's one piece of advice you give to others but never listen to yourself?

5 years ago

LOL......

What's your motto in life?
    If it smells don't eat it :)

What's one piece of advice you give to others but never listen to yourself?
    Masturbation can make you go blind so don't go mad with it....wait who said that???

lol only joking :)

Probably, listen to your heart and not your head, although i try but my head gets in the way sometimes!

• Lost One
    5 years ago

If military service was not mandatory would you have joined and why? I've asked the same of a few of my cousins that lived there and got answers from both sides of the fence.

• Ben replied to Lost One
    5 years ago

Hi Tony :)

No, I don't think I would, I think there has been more than enough lives lost on both side, I think that alot of people don't realize what a small part of the world this is and the amount of death surrounding such a small peace of land over ancient rules makes me sad, the conflict there will go on forever if attitudes don't change. although having said that there are certain things that have happened in recent years that I think show a turning of the tide (even thought it is minimal) in Iran, there is day where it's citizens used to (and still do in some parts) parade with their families saying they'll give their blood for Palestine and Gaza for solidarity etc - however in recent years the families have refused to do this saying they would give their blood for their country but not for this conflict.....this in itself shows a much more moderate attitude within this part of the world and is only a good thing. I have friend on all of those borders on both sides of the fence and for their sake and their families I desperately hope that some form of agreement is made. I understand exactly how that sounds but if these people can learn to tolerate each other then it would be a basis for a better life for them all. nothing tugs at my heart more than seeing a six year old little boy screaming death to all Jews - or vise versa.....a change of attitude and perseverance towards that attitude will make all the difference, and it is happening slowly and however much events that have happened recently escalate issues in that neck of the woods we should remember that there has been some progress made. the media from all corners of the globe cover it and all from different angles and so because of this ANYTHING from ANY media outlet should be looked apon with caution and skepticism. although it is worrying we must have solidarity with each other in find a solution where people can live without fear such as they do.

Apologies for the rather unlettered reply, I could write for ever about each side and what i like and dislike about this beautiful area of the world, ultimately it is civilization slowly grinding itself into nothingness which cannot happen, some resolve somehow needs to be found.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Hey Ben :-)

Awesome answers ... you've packed a lot into your life so far eh!

You're a great dad! ... your attitude and outlook will be the making of Alfie and all the things that are hard now will be his strengths because you've totally got his back and he'll always know that. So high five to you!

When you look in the mirror, what does your inner voice say to you most often?

:-) x
    =^.^=

• Ben replied to Kitty Cat Lady

Hey kitty cat!

Thank you so much that's very sweet of you to say :)

It says "how you doin? Lol hmmmm i guess it says "stay true".....at other times its said lots of things, when I was acting like a prat or not doing things in life I should be, we're great at lying to ourselves, example: maybe that we did something we shouldn't for personal gain or in an abusive relationship and stay because we fool ourselves that it'll get better, each time our inner voice speaks differently. ...so at the moment I'm all good and I guess it's just telling me to keep doing what I'm doing. ...I'll defo take that lol :)

Good question!

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Truly an inspirational life story, Ben. Proud of you especially for stepping up with your son when it might have been easier to crater.

Your home sounds near idyllic with the coast so close. I suppose even the storm season can inspire you.

Say you happened upon an old shipwreck pushed up on shore by a storm. You (against good sense, but what the hey) climb in through shattered staves and find yourself in the cargo hold. What do you find (it can be one thing or several) and what do you do with it?

• Ben replied to Larry Chamberlin

Hi Larry :)

Thank you we do love it here by the sea, the storms look awesome and sunset most nights is beautiful even in the cloudy UK!

hahaha that's just the last few years .....dare I mention watching numbers dance across the black board during math at school after perhaps over consumption of mushrooms with ....shall we say unusual properties the night before lol

I search to wreckage in the cargo hold.....find a fairly large object covered with a dusty tarp....slowly i edge closer....perspiring in anticipation, the cool sea breeze flowing through the staves.....i reach out pulling on the tarp hard........a cloud of dust and and flies in the air to where i have to shield my eyes....as i look up, there in front of me....sunlight illuminating as if sent from heaven itself.....because there...in all its glory is a 1979 Harley Davidson Shovelhead with arched bars, a full tank and keys in the ignition :)

The new ones are ok but the '79 will never be beaten ;)

EDIT: Sorry I got carried away i forgot to mention what I'd do with it...ride it like I stole it! (which i guess technically I did, I believe the "sea fairers" law on wreckage treasure doesn't count if you're on land lol

• Brenda replied to Ben

Ben, thank you for your answers. I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply back sooner, work kind of went sideways this past week. It's always something, isn't it? Sounds like you got this parenting thing being both Dad and Mom, my hat is off to you. I would very much like your recipe for your Lamb Kashmiri. It sounds delicious.
    I do like your musical taste. A couple of artists I will definitely have to checked out. Especially LP, you mentioned her numerous times. I love your analogy about it being your soul food and you could dine forever. I feel like that myself. There's something about music that is always a soundtrack of our lives. I've listened to it when I am happy, when I am sad. I use music to calm me down and keep me calm. It also can mellow me out with the hardest metal blasting. Can't explain it, it just works.
    I have really enjoyed your answers-you are a many faceted person. You speak Hebrew-was that a difficult language to learn? Was there a reason you learned it?