Weekly Contest Winners - May 21, 2018

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago by Sunshine

Hello everyone! Congratulations for every winner and HM - and for all of you P^Q'ers who write and contribute beautifully everyday.

This week Ben's Haiku stole the judges' hearts and so did Thomas's transience poem and Pickard's love beneath the Moon!

Thank you judges for your valuable time.

*Kindly note that I am still waiting for 1 judge to send in their comments, once sent I will add the comments + add their votes distribution to this thread.

#Rania
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Front Page Winners

*Transience by Thomas: 10 + 10
    *Each leaf (Haiku) by Ben: 10 + 7
    *Love Beneath The Moon by Ben Pickard: 10+4

transience by Thomas – 20 Points:

transience by Thomas – (10)

This poem is a wonderful example of descriptive writing. The similes of falling in love like… were all excellent and ranged from: a pair of climbers, determined to travel through tree branches, to kissing like bad actors trying out for unwanted roles, to, my favourite, 'we were stuck together, sneaker sole and street gum, and we stuck it out until you could find a suitable curb to scrape me off'

The poetic skill of this author made me green with envy and pink with delight for such a treasure to be shown off on this site.

I could go into far more glowing detail, but, really, if you have not read this, you should, right now!

Without further ado, I award, this week, an eye-watering 10 points (10)

transience by Thomas – (10)

Thomas's ability to pull sublime metaphors and similes out of the hat - seemingly at will - is second to none on this site. "our sex was a holiday parade without fireworks, two boats lazily floating in the harbor" - just one example of this. His descriptive writing is marvellous and so, whatever he is trying to paint, the reader always has a complete and finished picture to 'look' at. His visuals draw you in expertly and you genuinely feel like you are sharing something intimate with him and this tale of two naive, young lovers is like peeking through a window at someone's history we don't really have the right to be privy to. Anyway, I'm glad I was!
    My only gripe would be the lack of capital letters after the full stops. The rest of the piece is punctuated so carefully and correctly that I don't see the need to omit the capitals. However, I'm an old English student and that will stick with me forever, I'm afraid. Either way, it doesn't affect this marvellous poem at all and it is purely down to personal preference. Well written.

###########################################################################

Each leaf (Haiku) by Ben 17 points:

Each leaf (Haiku) by Ben - (7)

To be honest, there were plenty of other poems I could have chosen over this one. However, my heart goes to out to Andrea and her daughter. This poem eloquently expresses what many of us feel.

A Haiku, usually about nature. What are rules, if not to be broken, eh? Anyway, Andrea's PnQ name, Maple Leaf, or her love of nature could not be more apt.

The title, 'each leaf' draws the attention of the reader to every leaf, as each one is important as the next.
    A Haiku form should have a volta/ turn towards the end of 2nd line, leading into the 3rd, where the last line reveals a moment of enlightenment and I always look for this is a well written haiku.

This poem depicts a 'strong storm' - in this storm, most trees would sway, bend and possibly break. Not so, each leaf of this tree stands silent. Why - because, this is the Maple Tree.

Those that know Andrea will agree, she has such strength that this storm will not ever defeat her spirit.

This writer has captured a powerful moment/time, which is just what these compact forms are supposed to do. For this reason, this week, I award a compassionate 7 points (7)

Each leaf (Haiku) by Ben – (10)

It is not easy for us to control our every emotion in situations(storms) like this. At some point we break, we give up, but She is strong and all of us know this. For me, the best poem of this week. Truly deserves my 10 points.

Love Beneath The Moon by Ben Pickard 14 points:

Love Beneath The Moon by Ben Pickard- (10)

This poem sends warmth and yearning to the readers heart. It continues to show Ben's mastery of the form.
    To have faith needs subtle and strong will. A relatable poem. Thank you for sharing.

Love Beneath The Moon by Ben Pickard- (4)

First off, I give this a 4 this week only because I strongly related to two other poems on a personal note. Any other week it would have easily been my top choice. Ben writes beautiful sonnets as easily as he breathes (or so he makes it seem), they are relevant and relatable. This one does not disappoint. Who here can say they weren't afraid to light the candle again after, once burning bright, it had gone out?

~~############################~~HMS~~############################~~

Oh D'arcy (420 unfriendly) by CJ Maleney- (10)

CJ tackles a difficult issue in this. As having watched a loved one struggle with addiction myself this one struck a chord with me. It's painful to watch someone you love and care for falling, especially when you know that quitting is their choice and you can't make it for them. You're words were beautiful and I could feel the love and pain behind them.

The Survivor by Larry Chamberlin- (7)

I'm not sure what was survived, but I can honestly say I have felt this way in life on more than one occasion. Perhaps the tragedy is best left vague as it leaves space for the reader to step into the narrator's shoes and share in the sense of triumph. I love the rhyme scheme in this piece!

Love On Druids Walk (Rhyming) by Ben (7)

Ben(naughtymouse), always takes these little breaks from the poetry. If This is what he writes during those breaks, he should definitely take them.

Graphics by Satish Verma (7 )

I have to admit that, as frequently as I am drawn to this poet's work, I am just as frequently baffled by it. However, that is not a negative as far as I am concerned. It's like eating a a plate of food that is laced with multiple flavours and each time you taste it, you never quite know what to expect.
    Every day or thereabouts, Satish quietly goes about posting a poem that often flies under the radar because of his lack of presence around the site, in terms of comments and the main boards. But that doesn't mean good poetry should not be read and appreciated, and he seems to have oodles of ideas and imagery up his sleeve that I genuinely enjoy reading. Excellent and original writing.

#########################################################################

a mime's tale by pmmurphy (7)

Wonderful imagery. It makes me actually see the mime doing all sorts of contortions and yet also see into his / her torn heart.
    Thoroughly written.

#########################################################################

Making frozen waterfalls by Em (marmite) (4)

Occasionally a poem resonates with me, you know, touches a chord that hits a spot. This poem did just that.

The title: 'Making frozen waterfalls', created a powerful image. One of a colossus column of frozen water. I could feel these icy cold tears freeze into ice as she is lied to. A culmination of lie upon lie, killing any feelings until the heart is as icy cold as the tears. This tale is so sad, that as each ending 'ies' rhyme passes the pain increases until the inevitable, goodbye. By this time, the love has gone too.

Still, that is irrelevant really, so this week, I award a succulent; 4 points (4)

Hope (Reverse Etheree) by Jamie (4 )

I enjoy this form a lot; they are fun to write and fun to read and this reverse etheree is very well penned. Syllable count correct but - perhaps more importantly - not once is the content sacrificed for the form. There doesn't seem to be a word wasted by Jamie here as we are shown the emotions and some of the reasons behind the despair. And finally, the abrupt, one syllable word at the end which is inspirational to read after what has gone before: hope. Excellent work.

A Feather's Balance (Rondeau) by Ben Pickard (4)

For all the lies, there hides a truth.
    Well another truth is that Ben is the one of the finest poet. He knows how to balance a poem with proper syllable on the metre along with good diction and an imaginative thought process. How could someone gifted with such a talent can be poor?

Analepsis by Aegis (4)

There is a clammy feeling to this poem that fits perfectly with the person drifting in reverie. Nothing is clear, all is timeless.

• Mr. Darcy replied to PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago

Thanks, Rainia for hosting this week. Thanks too to the judges for their dedication.

Well done, Thomas and both Bens'. Your poems are super, smashing, great. Certainly deserving of, Bully's star prize.

As for all the HM's, a prize money or darts just can't buy: *Darcy blows each member a wet kiss*

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Congrats to all! Thank you judges and many thanks to Rania for hosting.

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congrats to our front page winners and HM's! Amazing, amazing writes! Rania thank you for hosting and judges for your dedication each week.

• Meena Krish replied to Brenda
    5 years ago

Congrats Winners & HM's

Thank you judges and thank you for
    hosting Raina

• Aegis
    5 years ago

My poem shows the HM next to it but there's no mention of it on the forum?

• Ben
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Thank you for hosting Nana and judges for your wonderful comments, yet again i am humbled by such nice things being said and it made me smile alot to see peoples reactions to it. Maple Tree/Andrea/Syrup has been there for many of us who have vented and whined and complained to her and has helped so many of us not only with these things but with writing also.....she probably pulled out many a hair trying to teach me the whole Aa Bb Cc Dd thing.

Anyways, i'm rambling and there's no need , so thanks for the comments and time etc and Thank you Maple Tree/Andrea/Syrup for being freakin epic, we all love you loads xxxx

EDIT: Also.....Michael...The Bowan is legendary!!!

• Hellon

Did we only have 4 judges this week? I nominated Aegis' poem so I'm also wondering why he has a HM against it but no mention of it here?

Also, it seems another poet has left the site leaving an awkward spot vacant on the front page that could have been filled with so many other well deserving poems. Is there no way these spots could be filled with the hm'sfrom this week?

• Em (marmite)

Another great week of poetry.
    Thanks mods, Rania for hosting and all this terms judges.
    Congrats to both Ben's and Thomas on their wins and to all HMs.
    Thank you judge for your comment and vote on my piece it means alot, really I feel honoured

• Ben Pickard replied to Hellon

I believe Rania is still waiting for a judge's comments - at least, she was at the time this 'went to print' (See her post).

Anyway, a genuine congratulations to all involved, be it whether your poem won, received an hm or was simply nominated.

Take care

*Edit - it's none of my business, and I am certainly no one to preach about closing accounts, but if you are reading this somewhere, Thomas, come back to the site if you can and when you're ready. Your winning piece was sublime and I for one was sorry to see it gone, but more importantly, you are a gifted poet and the site is much poorer without you.

• Sunshine

Hello again! No all 5 judges voted, actually the comments and votes I mentioned in my side note on the initial post include the HM and the remaining vote on Ben Pickard's poem, etc.

I will be adding/updating the 1st post with any remaining HM/Comment/vote, the moment we receive the comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As for Thomas, it's sad that he left, if anyone knows anything about him, let us know, sorry to have lost him.

But, unfortunately, no, the site will not replace the blank place with an HM, however, it's a good idea, which perhaps could be added to the Janis-wish-list!

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Sunshine
    5 years ago

Congrats to the winners, including Thomas, who proved the essence of his winning poem (Transience). Congrats to the fellow HMs as well. Thanks to the judges and to Rania for hosting. Thanks to the judge for the comment and to Mel for nominating it.

• Sunshine
    5 years ago

ALL remaining comments and votes were just added!

The judge asked us to thank you for your patience and understanding, the latter lost internet access and couldn't send the comments after casting the votes.

• Hellon replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

You know what Ben..Aegis questioned why he had an HM next to his poem and no mention on this thread ...one that I had nominated so I obviously wondered why..when he raised the question and I also asked why...there was no mention of 'awaiting' a judges comments at that point on the original thread and...I have sought confirmation that it was added later so..lets just say that...my question was a legitimate one ok...

• Sunshine replied to Hellon

In regard of confirmation, yes I did write the note in the original post. The only time I edited the original post was now, few minutes ago, when I added the remaining votes + comments.

I think Ben P was online at that time and saw the note, that's why he knew his other comment + vote were missing.

Since each judge casts 3 votes, the post was missing 3 comments, each for: Ben P, Aegis, and pmmurphy; all added now.

• Ben Pickard

Hellon, I am genuinely not sure where that's coming from - I was only trying to make you aware of the situation in case you hadn't seen Rania's initial post which did mention that she was waiting on a judge, as she said. I certainly never meant any slight.

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi All :)
    Thank you Rania for hosting

Congratulations to all the winners this week, and HMs awarded.

To all the judges for their time and hard work reading such great work.

Michael :)

• Aegis replied to PnQ Mod Account

I hate to be a bother but I think there's another mistake here. The comment above is about a poem I posted almost a year ago, not the one Hellon nominated last week.

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Congrats to all winners and honorable mentions.

Much respect to our judges and mods for their efforts, and thank you've whoever voted and commented on mine.

Regards

Craig

• Hellon

I would like to apologize to both Ben P and Nana for my behaviour yesterday. I took Ben's comment the wrong way and thought he was having a dig at me...he wasn't so, I'm sorry Ben. I asked Nana if she had altered the original thread and she told me she had....what I didn't realize is that she had, just minutes before, updated it to include the final comments. I acted on that information and got it wrong...Sorry Nana.

When Aegis left his comment, I admit I just glanced at the original post...saw that the judge's comment was missing so, I asked the question. Now I have another question...this one for Aegis. Why did you, all of a sudden decide to bring up a missing comment from a HM you received on a poem that you posted over a year ago? Which poem are you referring to?

• Aegis replied to Hellon
    5 years ago

My previous poem from a year ago was not the HM I was referring to. My poem from last week, Analepsis, had an HM next to it. But the comment that was first posted here was one about Untitled, my old poem. I still got an honorable mention last week, and now the correct comment has been posted. All is well ^_^

• Hellon replied to Aegis
    5 years ago

Sorry....I don't understand what you mean?

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Hellon - thank you and don't mention it again. Easy mistake.

Thanks for updating the comments, Rania.

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Regarding the confusion on comments: A judge resigned after voting but without sending comments. The sub-judge had a senior moment (which might be expected at 68 years old) and commented on the first poem in Aegis’ profile rather than the correct poem. Part of the confusion was that the first poem had an HM, but I should have noticed it’s age and title.
    - Larry (the sub judge)

• naaz
    5 years ago

Congratulations to our front page winners, the HM's and the nominated ones.

Thanks to judges and moderators for all their support and love towards all of us.

Thanks to Rania for hosting the contest this week.

Let's cheer up together for Ben, Ben Pickard and Thomas on their perfect win.

Love you all!

• Aegis replied to Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Totally understandable Larry! Thanks for clarifying that for us:)