Weekly Contest Winners - June 18, 2018!

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Happy Monday, everyone! Congratulations to our three front page winners: Mahal, with his honest poem to his father "The Poor Man And His Son"... Aegis, with his striking piece "High Voltage"... and a new member on this site, Megan Chapman, with her poem about the wonders of rain in "Petrichor". Congratulations to all HM's and thank you to the judges for your hard work. Hope everyone has a wonderful week :)

~MaryAnne

WINNERS:

“The Poor Man And His Son” by: Mahal Ko Kuya Ko 10 + 10 = 20 points

“High Voltage” by: Aegis 7 + 7 = 14 points

“Petrichor” by: Megan Chapman 7 + 4 = 11 points

COMMENTS:

“The Poor Man And His Son” by: Mahal Ko Kuya Ko

“In truth, this reads more like an open letter than the image-filled poetry I have come to expect from this talented young author. But I like it for just that reason. There is a brute honesty and heart-wrenching sentiment to it that so many (as cliched as it sounds) will relate to.
    So, what do you do when you don't believe yourself capable of living up to your parents' expectations? When you are 'not genius enough to be a scientist' or 'talented enough to be a superstar'? Well, you start by writing poetry like this which - by the way - proves the author wrong in at least one aspect: that he is not 'good enough for a writer'. Rubbish, if this is anything to go by. But also - and perhaps more crucially - you do it with a sensitivity and understanding towards that demanding parent that belies your age: 'You dyed your hair last night, and I don't know how hard everything is for you'.
    Now, upon reading the poem back, we see the author is both young, very talented, caring and certainly a son to be proud of after all.” (10)

- - - - - - -

"After reading through the long list of nominated poems, this poem resonated and stood out to me the most. There is a vulnerability and a sadness in wanting to be appreciated and loved for all that you were, instead of being valued at your possible potential, or the endless expectations of a father who never seems to be at peace. This seemed like such a reflective piece and I hope you found some sort of healing in writing it. The specifics of how hard you have worked, truly an adult and working through any self-doubt to pursue your dreams, yet being defined by how "capable" others are is heartbreaking. The beauty is that we make our own purpose. And comparing ourselves to the unique gifts and talents of others will only bring us down. Each of us have so much to give, and we shouldn't have to fight for others to see it. How many times do we seek approval and affection from those who have raised us? How long must we try to prove our worth to them?

Powerful, emotional piece. Thank you for sharing this." (10)

“High Voltage” by: Aegis

“This poem is very powerful and on the contrary, the poet did express something which is hard to express even in the most powerful of words, but you have worded it so beautifully, so powerfully are your feelings expressed in few words, that 'I AM COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY' by this piece. Sometimes the hardest things we go through are of such "high voltages" that surviving is difficult, but surviving is important and living is essential. Your portrayal of feelings of pain in metaphors of power lines and wires and voltages, I knew this was going to be my pick the very first time I read it. Splendid.” (7)

- - - - - - - -

"I love the theme and how you always commit yourself to the imagery and metaphor. I felt that doom, that sense of hopelessness, then that fierce desire to make something whole. The loose ends reminds me of when we have chaos in our lives, when we seek closure and resolution in order to keep living. A short but profound write as always!" (7)

“Petrichor” by: Megan Chapman

“Petrichor – a distinctive aroma that certain plants release when rained upon after a dry spell.

I want to thank this author for bringing this word to my attention. Although, I never wondered if there was a specific word for this appealing smell, I do now.

This poem is both creative and informative. It is beautifully described and detailed. I liked the internal rhyme and alliteration; making the reading of it, all the more special.

The word/ process of ‘Petrichor’ is used, cleverly, as a multi-metaphor for the release of human emotions. Like the plants that absorb, in clay-based soils and rocks, then, after a prolonged amount of time, release these oils when rained upon. It is true, in order to gain trust, for example, one has to earn the right for that to be release, right? Petrichor – a word to remember.

I award 7 points for well thought out, researched and unique poem.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"What a wonderful find on this site, and may I extend a warm welcome to a new member. I was pleasantly surprised by the very calming atmosphere and the comfort and solace many feel at the promise of rain. I love that there is actually a name for the smell after a rain, it's almost enchanting to think how much rain can heal and expose us, our truth and who we are. Beautiful tie-in to the openness of rain, and how we need to be that accepting. The only reason I gave this a "4", is because I felt some of the lines were overwhelmed and burdened with too many commas. I feel like some lines could have been naturally separated so the flow wouldn't have been broken. The repetition of "and" can work to connect ideas, but I felt like this poem could have been tidied up a bit. Also, in this line: "and the rain that the that the humidity promised," you have extra words that aren't needed in my opinion.

But I hope to see more of your poetry on this site and thank you for sharing! (4)"

• PnQ Mod Account

HM’s:

“Arson (English Sonnet)” by: Kitty Cat Lady Points = 10 points

“Her many seasons” by: Mark = 10 points

“I Long for the Sparrows Song” by: Ben = 10 points

“Fade to Blue - Lost in the Sky” by: Larry Chamberlin = 7 points

“This is who I am” by: Dagmar Wilson = 7 points

“Autumn leaves” by: Mortal Utopia Points = 4 points

“June” by: Meena Krish = 4 points

“Kissed by a rose” by: Walter = 4 points

“Pupps” by: Everlasting = 4 points

COMMENTS:

“Arson (English Sonnet)” by: Kitty Cat Lady Points

“With a risk assessment completed and sent off to Larry, I donned my fire-retardant gloves and read. I must confess that I fell in love with this sonnet; from its crafted metric beats that sang to me from the page, to the question’ no, I correct, the blunt, yet clear warning within. I mean, how engaging is this to the reader? Very! I have to say, I do feel sorry for the poor fellow who is left with the dilemma, though – ‘don’t start what you can’t finish – or else, feel my wrath – for I am, a twisted fire starter!’

This writer’s growing talent for writing sonnets is evident. It is clear, much work and commitment has taken place to get to this point. A point where the sonnet rules are followed; but not so much so that creativity is stifled. Very enjoyable indeed – a sonnet worthy of merit and, perhaps, more importantly, juicy points!” (10)

- - - - - - -

“Her many seasons” by: Mark

“Love and the many seasons that accompany it — happiness the kind spring brings, melancholy that comes in with the rain and the grief and sadness one might see in winters; and you have well blended these feelings with the seasons of your lover - a lady and her many seasons. This is an excellent portrayal of the myriad moods and feelings, and the wait for summer's joys. But isn't love a mixture of everything, then why keep awaiting her summer mood? Why not accept everything? [Do correct me if I have interpreted it wrong. :) ] All in all, a beautiful poem.” (10)

- - - - - - -

“I Long for the Sparrows Song” by: Ben

“For me, that sparrow is you and these days one can easily find you in my heart. Even in tatters, I feel alive again whenever I read such beautiful poems written by you.” (10)

- - - - - -

“Fade to Blue - Lost in the Sky” by: Larry Chamberlin

“There are things that happen to us in the course of our lives that are instant, obvious and devastating, the clearest example being, perhaps, the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one. Portrayed here, though, is another kind of tragedy altogether - far less obvious but no less devastating.

As the author points out, the drifting apart of two people is not new in this 'world of woe' but it does remain a 'great mystery'. One of the comments below the piece likens it to a 'silent assassin'. I couldn't put it better myself. Life goes on around you while it creeps up - stealthy and deadly - and before you know it, everything you thought your relationship was made up of lies crumpled on the floor without either of you ever having a chance to defend yourselves.

There is an eeriness to this poem that resounded deeply with me and it serves as an ominous warning to all of us. A fine piece of writing.” (7)

- - - - - - -

“This is who I am” by: Dagmar Wilson

“The best thing about this poem are these little fragments which somehow make this poem a perfect poem in the eyes of the reader. The title totally justifies the poem. And if someone thinks that giving this poem 7 points is a bad choice, then God knows my heart. He knows that I am still human.” (7)

- - - - - -

“Autumn leaves” by: Mortal Utopia Points

“I admit, I am a sucker for a nature poem. This little gem captured my heart and imagination.

As with many poems, they can often be interpreted in any different ways. I liked the literal meaning: A person feeling sad that the life that they see in the trees now, will soon be gone. Leaves will turn brittle and like the fragility of a butterfly, be taken by the ‘voice’ of the wind. I found this turn of phrase (voice) delightful. I liked too, the layout. Each line laid out perfectly, leading to a, what I considered a wonderful observation: Trees listening/ crying to the sad song of the wind. From the canopies leaves rain, like tears, upon the world.” (4)

- - - - - - -

“June” by: Meena Krish

“In very simple and few words, the poet expresses her feelings and as a reader, I caught onto those feelings very well. There is all - beauty, happiness and sadness in nature, but our own feelings are what we project in the world. Although the words are framed from the poet's own self and can be seen between the lines, it doesn't contain the reader from anything, especially how easily it can be connected to and felt by.” (4)

- - - - -- -

“Kissed by a rose” by: Walter

“Very beautiful poem and You explained the feeling pretty well. Every word you said, true. I want to write so much but after reading this poem I feel like everything around me has slowed.” (4)

- - - - - - -

“Pupps” by: Everlasting

“If the author had written the title as PUPPS I absolutely would have known that it stood for Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy which is a chronic, hives-like rash that strikes some women during pregnancy. A load of nonsense, of course - I had never heard of it in my life!
    Anyway, to the poem. Why award this rather bizarre piece of poetry my 4 points this week? Well, for that very reason alone: it is - well and truly - bizarre and original because of that. I very rarely open Lucero's page without finding something that fascinates me, from the content to the way she formats her work and her style in general. She truly is a one off round these parts and cannot be confused with anyone else on the site.

As for the problem itself, I must confess to having no suggestions at all other than suggesting Calarmine. I say that only because every time I have ever had any issue with my skin, that's always the first thing my mother advises when I scramble for the phone desperately! Truthfully, though, I shouldn't think it would work in this case. Just don't tell my mum that." (4)

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Wonderful poems and terrific comments. Congrats to the front pagers as well as to fellow HMs. Thanks judges and MA for hosting.

Thanks to Dagmar for nominating Fade to Blue and to the judge for the detailed and insightful comment.

• Mahal Ko Kuya Ko

Wow! Congratulations to the Winners and HM's! Thank you, Judges, especially to the two who gave such wonderful comments on my poem, they are very much appreciated. Thank you, MaryAnne for hosting and Mr. Ben for the nomination. Take care, everyone! (:

• Aegis
    5 years ago

Wow! I'm pleasantly "shocked" that my poem was selected as a winner this week:) Thank you to all the judges and the readers and congratulations to the rest of the winners and HMs^_^

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi all :)

Thank you MA for hosting this weeks competition.

Well done to all the winners, along with all HM's awarded )and new member with a great piece).
    To all the judges week in and out, giving their valuable time. The poets who nominated my poems.

Much love
    Michael :)x

• Meena Krish replied to Michael
    5 years ago

Congratulations to the front page Winners
    & all those who received a HM. Thank you
    judges and MA for hosting.

Thank you Em for the nomination and to
    the judge who commented on my poem...
    thank you!

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Stellar writes all around! Thank you judges for your time as always and,Mary Anne for hosting.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congrats to all the fab winners this week as well as the HMs and nominees.

Thanks so much to the judge for awarding my sonnet their top points and for their really witty judging comments - I'm thrilled and tickled all at the same time! lol :-)

Thanks also to Mr D for nominating it and to Ben P for shoving me in the right direction ... I really appreciate both :-) x
    =^.^=

• Megan Chapman replied to PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for this last comment. It's really constructive and helpful and I very much appreciate your generosity in giving such a detailed explanation.
    I'm in awe of the poets I have found on this site, I'm just a scribbler who has much to learn! So to have a win like this is indeed an honour.
    Many thanks
    Megan

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Well done everyone this week; great to see a new member on the front page, too.

Thanks to the judges and all involved,

Ben

• Everlasting
    5 years ago

“If the author had written the title as PUPPS I absolutely would have known that it stood for Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy..”

- oh, but I did write it in capital letters! ( LOL)
    However, it’s probably the site deciding that PUPPS looks better in lower case.

Or it might have been a change implemented by Janis. I remember that before the changes, many were employing capital letters in the titles and that was a big no no.

I could be wrong. Though, if I go to edit, the title appears in capital letter. When I publish, only the first letter is capitalize. The others are in lower case.

As far as the problem, haha my body needs to be cold. I mean, I need to be as cool as possible. Then the itch goes away. If I start getting hot, then that bully of the itch comes backs to make me lose my senses. It makes me hot headed. Lol

Thank you for the HM.

• silvershoes

Interesting front page this week! Well deserved and congratulations. Thank you to our judges and to MA for hosting :)

• Ben
    5 years ago

Apologies for my lat reply on this >< thank you so much for a lovely comment judge much appreciated and very curious at the same time :)