Poet of the Fortnight #21: Ren (June 27 - July 11, 2018)

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Ren has been randomly selected as our 21st Poet of the Fortnight (PotF)! Ren is a 25-year-old female living in the USA. She has been a member of PnQ since the spring of 2005 -- 13 years! That's loyalty, friends. Ren is a lovely, kind, and creative person. In her own words, she is a "a gypsy soul and a hippie at heart."

Please welcome Ren to her own special thread, and be sure to read her latest poem posted just below:

----
    Perfectly Imperfect

She was

…broken…

like every promise
    he ever made-

but has learned how to put herself
    back together again

…piece by piece…

until the day
    she can look into the mirror
    and recognize her own reflection.

I watch her see herself for the first time…

and she is beautiful.

…scarred…

but beautiful.
    ----

Ren, please fill out this public survey when you find time. You can pass any question/prompt in this thread, just write "Pass." I will ask 10 questions total throughout the next 2 weeks, and members of the community are encouraged to participate by asking questions of their own. Here's the survey:

Meaning behind your PnQ name:
    Birth place:
    Languages spoken:
    When you discovered PnQ and why you joined:
    Favorite poet(s):
    Book you are currently reading:
    Song you last listened to:
    Inspirations for writing:
    5 truths about yourself:

• Meena Krish replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

1) if you could change a thing or two in this
    world what would it be?

2) what are your hobbies?

• Ren replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Thank you so much, Jane! For such a kind and warm welcoming!! :) I have to admit... I feel slightly nervous and guilty to be participating since I haven't been very active recently (especially on the forums), but I really appreciate the opportunity and will do my best :)

Real name- Lauren :)

Meaning behind your PnQ name- Just a nickname/shortened version of my name :)

Birth place- Wichita, Kansas. My family and I moved to Texas when I was four, and I've been here ever since.

Languages spoken- English with a southern kick. I took three years of French in high school but I can honestly say I was terrible at it and don't remember much at all. I was just there for my friends and the food haha. I speak some Spanglish here and there (if you can even call it that), and hope to learn Spanish fluently some day.

When you discovered PnQ and why you joined- Oh gosh. I definitely don't remember too many details about this. But I do remember needing a quote for school, and I typed it into Google and Poems and Quotes popped up. I thought it was the coolest thing ever cause I've never met other people who liked to write poetry, or write at all, and I loved reading all these amazing peoples poems. So I joined :)

Favorite poets- All of y'all, of course!! I seem to stumble across random works from random authors here and there when browsing books or the internet, but I couldn't list them at the top of my head.

Book you are currently reading- I have two next to my pillow at the moment. "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, and the 5th Harry Potter book. I book hop a lot...to the point of not remembering where I left off or what happened in previous chapters. Recently I've been terrible at reading books because I've been reading way too much fanfiction.

Song you last listened to- I opened up my spotify and the song playing was "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"...Red Hot Chili Peppers haha. I love music!! I listen to everything and anything, jumping from genre to genre. One minute I'm jamming out to Zeppelin and the next minute I'm belting out 90's throwbacks.

Inspirations for writing- Life experiences are my biggest inspirations, especially the people I meet and my interactions with them. Then definitely music. It can set the mood. Or strike an emotional chord. Or bring back a memory. There are random moments where I might be cruising down the highway and read something on a billboard, or a sign in a shop window, and something just kinda goes off in my head and I get inspired. Natures a big one, too :)

5 truths about yourself-

1. I'm not a morning person. Ever. I'm a night owl through and through, and it's really easy for me to mix my days and nights up. My friends are convinced I'm a vampire ;) but who's to say?

2. Friends and family are everything to me. I have two nieces (a 2 year old and a one month old) who have stolen my heart completely. They are my world and I absolutely adore them! Being an Aunt is the best job in the world. I love it. My third niece is due in December, and I can't wait to meet her :) girls are taking over my family lol.

3. My hair is currently purple-ish.

4. I want to travel so badly. See the world. Meet new people. Make friends. Explore :) I love going on adventures, whether that be going out of state for a concert with friends, or making a trip to the grocery store with my sister in the middle of the night for snacks.

5. I am super passionate about holistic healing and alternative medicine. I believe any sort of healing should address the person as a whole- mind, body, and spirit. I love the idea of preventative medicine, instead of waiting for people to get sick then putting bandaids on the symptoms til they go away. I want to learn as much as I can in this field and hope to turn it into a lifestyle and career.

• Ren replied to Meena Krish

Hi Meena! Thanks for the questions :)

1) I wish we could all change a thing or two in this world, because it sure could use some TLC. I've played the role of "peace keeper" my entire life, so I'm definitely a pacifist in most situations. I just want more acceptance and less judgement. More peace and not war. A gentle touch of kindness in a world that has forgotten how to act and get along. You know...peace and love and good vibes and all that jazz ;)

2) I'm really not that exciting hobby wise lol. Just a big nerd. I love to read and write and geek out on movies and Netflix. Learn new things. Hang out with friends and family. Chase my niece around. Listen to music. Sing. Dance. Go with the flow in wherever life takes me. Party. Chill. Live :)

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

1) If you could write a book about your life so far what would the title be and why?

Keeping with question 1)
    1) how would you like to see the title of your new found book change in the next 5 to 10 years and why?

3) if you found yourself stranded on a desert island what 3 to 5 items would you definitely have with you and what 3 items would you wish to have with you if you were able to make 3 wishes to bring them to you? 1 has to be atleast a person and why?

Nice to see you have your own thread, yaaay!

• Lost One
    5 years ago

A continuation of our questions from a few months ago... ; )

It's your last day on Earth. What do you

Eat?
    Listen to?
    Watch?
    Read?
    Write?

Now....

What planet are you going to? ; P

• Ren replied to Em (marmite)

Hi sweet Em!! :) Thanks for stopping by and for the awesome questions! (Which took me awhile to figure out how to answer lol. They're good ones!!)

1) If you could write a book about your life so far what would the title be and why?

"Inhale the Future" because things ain't too pretty right now, and I'm a mess, and life isn't exactly going well or as planned. So I try to stay positive and believe that tomorrow will be a better day :)

1) How would you like to see the title of your new found book change in the next 5 to 10 years and why?

"Exhale the Past" Because we live and learn :) what's in the past is in the past and sometimes we do more damage holding on to things instead of just letting them go. I strive to do just that. Let go and move forward. It may have been a messy, crazy ride, but it was all worth it, and I've come out a much stronger and well grounded individual in the long run (at least I hope so!)

2) If you found yourself stranded on a desert island what 3 to 5 items would you definitely have with you and what 3 items would you wish to have with you if you were able to make 3 wishes to bring them to you? 1 has to be atleast a person and why?

Me?! Stranded on an island!? Surrounded by the ocean?! I'm in heaven!! Lol

1- Water
    2- Food
    3- Sunscreen
    4- Music
    5- Tequila

Three things that I would wish for (including a person and why)-

1- Survival skills
    2- A tent!
    3- Captain Jack Sparrow. Cause he knows where the rum is...and somehow miraculously escapes deserted islands :)

• Ren replied to Lost One

Hahaha. Hi Tony! Thanks for dropping by and for the questions :)

It's your last day on earth. What do you...

Eat? Pizza (duh!) My favorite crab/cheese puffs. Homemade biscuits and gravy. Popeye's spicy chicken. Pretty much all my favorite comfort foods. And some form of chocolatey goodness. And a Monster. No...two Monsters. With a giant jug of sweet tea. And can't forget the Dr. Pepper.

Listen to? Everyone's complaints about me leaving ;) but really I'll just throw my playlists on shuffle and jam out.

Watch? Probably impossible with regards to time, but you know I can't choose just one...so...all the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies. And Harry Potter. And Aliens (with my sister, of course). And so many others that I would end up wasting the day just trying to decide. But I'd definitely make sure to watch the sunset one last time, surrounded by friends and family :)

Read? So much fluffy smutty fanfiction it makes my head hurt.

Write? So much fluffy smutty fanfiction it makes my head hurt.

Now...

What planet are you going to? Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away ;) I'll send a postcard.

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Yay Ren! Your own post! I have loved your answers this far. It sounds like you'd be a lot of fun on a deserted island lol.
    What is one thing you want to accomplish in your life? Do you have any pets? Biggest pet peeves? Guilty pleasures?

• silvershoes replied to Ren
    5 years ago

My family and I moved to Texas when I was four, and I've been here ever since.
    ^ Where about in Texas? I've only been to Austin and to Lake Travis, but I loved it.

I'm a night owl through and through, and it's really easy for me to mix my days and nights up. My friends are convinced I'm a vampire ;) but who's to say?
    ^ Saaaaame. I always fall back into the same vampiric sleeping patterns when I'm not forced to wake up early every day. I stay up until the early hours of the morning and sleep until the early afternoon.

Question #1: Do you believe in ghosts? A spirit world? An afterlife?

• Ren replied to Brenda
    5 years ago

Awww thanks Brenda!! I really appreciate that, and I'm so glad you stopped by :)

What is one thing you want to accomplish in your life?

Finding peace and acceptance with myself, while helping and positively impacting as many people as possible along the way :) Loving people and helping them heal is in my blood. I just wanna help others be the healthiest, happiest, best versions of themselves, while I try and do the same for myself.

Do you have any pets?

Yes!! I've had dogs my whole life. We have two labs right now, black and brown, named Twix and Rolo, and my sister has a pit mix named Milo. Talk about super sweet and spoiled rotten pups!! I'm unfortunately allergic...to like, everything...but I love animals, especially dogs, so I just grin and bear it :)

Biggest pet peeves?

Bad manners. Dishonesty. Narrowmindedness. Chronic negativity that sucks you in like a black hole and drains you of everything. People chewing their food loudly. Also, slow drivers cruising in the left lane lol.

Guilty pleasures?

Caffeine. Of all sorts. Chocolate. Studio Ghibli movies...because I end up watching them when I'm procrastinating haha. Lazy days doing nothing at all :) The Supernatural Fandom. Fanfiction. Oh...so much fanfiction.

5 years ago

Where about in Texas?

I've lived in a couple different cities around the Houston area :) Austin can be a lot of fun! I've never been to Lake Travis though, but I know some people who have. It's actually kinda sad how much I haven't seen of Texas despite the fact I've lived here practically my whole life lol.

Yes!! I have the same vampiric sleeping patterns. It's a blessing and a curse. There's a certain magic that comes with being awake during the night and early hours of the morning, but at the same time it's hard to function like a normal human being when you're sleeping through half the day lol. Story of my life ;)

Question #1: Do you believe in ghosts? A spirit world? An afterlife?

Yes, yes, and yes! Absolutely! When I was a kid, I always had this strange fascination with spirits, and watched those ghost hunter shows all the time. I even conducted my own investigations haha. I wanted to be a paranormal investigator when I grew up. Shoot, I still do! Lol. Not only have I had some interesting paranormal experiences in my life, but it's also just a feeling of knowing that there is so much more to life than just this physical plane. I believe we're all souls here having a human experience, and we just continue on, even after physical death. Where or how or why I don't know, but it's fascinating. Funny how the unknown seems to be that way :)

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

If there was one place in the world and money wasn't an option where would you visit and why?

What's one thing in the world that you'd fight tooth and nail against that other people just don't understand your reasoning against and can you understand why?

Loving all you answers

• Ben Pickard

Ren, interesting answers.

I know I frequently fear becoming the sum of the worst parts of myself. Personal question, but do you ever feel the same and what is it about yourself you fear most?

• Poet on the Piano

Ren, I also love your answers and I got excited reading about the Studio Ghibli comment (if you can tell by my avatar lol)
    My brother first introduced me to Japanese films. What is your top favorites(s) if you can pick?
    Mine would be "Princess Mononoke", "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "My Neighbor Totoro".

• Meena Krish replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to answer all our questions Ren and
    its interesting to read about you and get a better picture.

Do you like to watch horror movies?
    Do you have trouble sleeping after watching a horror movie?
    what type of movies do you like?

Hello again sweet Em!! I'm glad you are enjoying the answers, and I truly appreciate the questions :) once again, yours took me some time to think about lol. I hope I can answer them well.

If there was one place in the world and money wasn't an option where would you visit and why?

Oh this is a hard one! There are too many places I want to go to and see and experience! I honestly don't think I can pick just one place. Especially if money isn't an issue, because I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Walk away and never look back. I'd go on so many adventures all over the states and the world. See everything and anything I could. Explore. Reconnect with my soul. Wanderlust burns inside my veins and I have an insane calling to be where I am not. There's this quote that I love-"I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again."- Anais Nin

What's one thing in the world that you'd fight tooth and nail against that other people just don't understand your reasoning against and can you understand why?

Narrow minded and judgemental people and their actions. Everyone has the right to believe, think, and feel the way they want, of course, but when they use this to fight against other people who don't feel or believe the same way, causing problems and harming others...this is where I draw the line. I can't stand seeing others being treated poorly or wrongly because of their beliefs, race, culture, sexual orientation, etc. It hits close to home for me. I've been there. I am there. I feel this pain. And I still live it to this day. Many people think there is only one right way to do things. One right way to live. One right way to be. But not every person fits into a single mold, especially the mold of "Society's expectations and rules" or an even bigger one "their parents expectations and rules." We are all amazing unique creatures of colors, dreams, and love. I fight for and support the underdogs/outcasts of the world. The people who knew all along they would be following a different path from their families and friends. The people who may dream a little wilder than others. Who's heads are in the clouds. The people who dance to the beat of their own drums and bring such a creative, wonderful spark to this game of life and set it ablaze with bursts of rainbows and clouds of glitter. I say follow your heart. Follow your dreams. Make them a reality. Love who you want. Be you, and the best you that you can be. I fight for the dreamers and the lovers. The messy people who don't fit in a box or stay between the lines. It's okay to walk the road less traveled, or create a path of your own. Leave your mark. Be different. Be happy. Be you. And be proud about it :)

• Ren replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Hey Ben :) thanks for dropping by and for the question!

I understand this feeling all too well, but I also think I fear becoming the sum of what people think are my worst parts...and disappointments...if that makes any sense. I have the tendency to worry more about what others think of me, and what they believe makes me good or bad, because I am a people pleaser, and I hate to disappoint others, or not live up to their expectations. It's something I'm working on- not worrying so much about what others think of me-but it's taken a long time (years and years) for me to start understanding that I am made up of lightness and darkness- good and bad parts- and even though every once in a while the light might bleed more into the dark, or the darkness might bleed more into the light, I will always be both. It just comes down to finding that balance between the two. So I don't worry so much about becoming the sum of my worst parts. Instead, I worry about losing the balance between the good and bad parts that make me who I am. No one is entirely good or bad. We all have our flaws. It's what makes us human :) it shapes us into who we are. In regards to what I fear most about myself? That's a hard question to answer. There's quite a bit going on inside this head and heart of mine that worries me, and I struggle with a lot of anxiety and depression. But it's all about learning from the experience- the good and bad days. I'm learning to treat the bad days like I would a child- be gentle and kind and patient with myself- and I relish in the simplicity and light of the good days, and hold on to the warmth they bring and the possibilities for even more better days ahead. Healing is hard work, but progress is progress, no matter how slow, and I try my best to believe there are better days ahead, and stay as positive as I can :)

• Ren replied to Poet on the Piano

Hey there!! Aww thank you so much!! I really appreciate it! :)

Yass!! A Studio Ghibli lover! That's awesome! I hardly know anyone who knows about these films lol so this makes me very happy :) My sister and I absolutely love them. She's the one who introduced me to them. They are all so amazing!! But if I were to choose a top three, it would be "Whisper of the Heart", "My Neighbor Totoro", and third place would be between "Howl's Moving Castle" and "From Up on Poppy Hill." But I absolutely love "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Spirited Away." Omg, it's hard to choose!! My sister and I's absolute favorite though is "Whisper of the Heart." We watch it so much that we can quote our way through the entire movie lol. It's our go to movie if we are having a bad day, are stressed out, or just need to escape the world for awhile. I've started to show my niece some of the movies, but I think she may still be a little too young to enjoy them. However, she did think Totoro was kinda cool :)

• Ben Pickard replied to Ren
    5 years ago

Great answer, Ren; thank you. By the way, my kiddies love Kiki's delivery service - I'm quite fond of it too...

• Ren replied to Meena Krish

Awww absolutely!! Thanks so much! I really appreciate the opportunity and it's been fun :)

Do you like to watch horror movies?

Yes and no. I used to watch horror movies all the time, especially growing up with two older brothers who liked to try and scare me lol. I used to really like them, but for some reason I've gotten to a point where I don't enjoy them as much anymore...? It really just depends. If it's not too gory or violent then I'm usually okay. I think it's just the really messed up ones with horrible murders and gore that I can't stomach too well anymore.

Do you have trouble sleeping after watching a horror movie?

I have trouble sleeping on most nights, lol, scary movies or not, and my dreams are kinda messed up as it is. But sometimes! The movie may follow me into my dreams that night, or maybe make an appearance a few weeks later and confuse me, or not show up at all.

What type of movies do you like?

Anything really :) As I've mentioned before, I love Studio Ghibli movies, and all the Lord of Rings and Hobbits movies, etc. I love feel good/inspiring movies and comedies, and I watch so many kids/family movies now because of my niece. I enjoy some romances and dramas and mysteries here and there, and I really like action and adventure. Documentaries are interesting to watch sometimes, and I enjoy some independent films, too. It really just depends on the movie and my mood at the time. I just don't do well with violence or gore anymore, and sad endings or war movies can really get to me. I didn't use to mind a movie that could make me cry, but now they can literally haunt me for days and turn me into a sobbing mess. I'm an emotional little thing lol. And I've gotten to a point where I'll even read about the movie and look up the endings before watching them cause the suspense can be too much for my anxiety. It drives my sister crazy. We'll be watching a movie and she'll look over and I'll be googling the movie on my phone and she'll take it away from me haha.

• Ren replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Thank you, Ben!! I really appreciate you dropping by! Awww!! That is awesome! :) It is such a great movie and so much fun to watch!

• Lost One
    5 years ago

We've had so much back and forth it was hard for me to think of a question but I finally thought of one. In all of your answers so far I've noticed something... you've let go. You are yourself. No apologies no pretending, but you've hinted that was not always the case. When did that change? And what caused it?

• Michael
    5 years ago

Dearest Ren :)

A poet that can deliver the unexpected at time, with such talent!

Wonderful and open answers so far.

I read you are crazy about 'fan-fiction' so my question is have you made up a favourite character ?
    ..if so where did she/he come from?

I hope you are well and good
    Much love
    Michael :)xx

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

Some more amazing answers Ren :*

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

"And I've gotten to a point where I'll even read about the movie and look up the endings before watching them cause the suspense can be too much for my anxiety. It drives my sister crazy. We'll be watching a movie and she'll look over and I'll be googling the movie on my phone and she'll take it away from me haha."

This made me laugh because I'm the same way. It doesn't ruin the movie or show for me if I google the ending. It gives me a feeling of calm or preparedness for what's to come (I'm a very anxious person), but it drives my boyfriend crazy.

As for your interest in the paranormal, I live 30 minutes from Virginia City, Nevada, known as the most haunted city in Nevada. Spooky cool little ghost town. It was featured on the Travel Channel’s “Ghost Adventures” series. If you ever make it to Nevada, you should take a tour!

Continuing with my questions...
    Question #2: What are your favorite smells?
    Question #3: What are seven of your bucket list items? Things you want to do before you die.
    Question #4: If you died today, what would you want to be remembered for?

• Ren replied to Lost One

"In all of your answers so far I've noticed something...you've let go. You are yourself. No apologies no pretending, but you've hinted that was not always the case. When did that change? And what caused it?"

Time. Growth. Healing. That's the thing about life and treading the unpaved path of self discovery- you are in a constant state of motion. Always changing, growing, learning, and settling bit by bit into your own authenticity. I've had a bad habit of wearing a mask, keeping some of myself hidden at all times, and only allowing people to see what I wanted them to see. I can be an open book, but I've been lied to and tricked and abandoned so many times that I've gained some trust issues, and that mask became a crutch. But I have come to realize that these actions from others are not my fault, and I shouldn't have to take the brunt of the blow. It is a reflection of the person who turned on me and that's their own battle they'll have to deal with, and I shouldn't let it impact me so deeply and personally. With that realization in the works...my skin has thickened, my walls are stronger (although not as high), and my heart continues to beat strong, despite the callouses. I'm finally starting to outgrow that mask, and realizing it's not so comfortable anymore. The more courage that I gather and the more confidence I gain, that mask shrinks...a little at a time. I'm slowly learning how to break out of my shell, love and respect myself for who I am, and not worry so much about other people's opinions or expectations. I'm stepping into the shoes of my more authentic true self, and I like the way it feels. I'm me. I am who I am. And I'm learning how to not be afraid of showing that :)

That was a deep question! I got a little teared up with that one lol. Thanks again for dropping in and for the questions, Tony :) I know we've been through a lot of them. It's nice to hear from you! Take care :)

• Ren replied to Michael

"I read you are crazy about 'fan-fiction' so my question is have you made up a favourite character? If so where did she/he come from?"

Mikey!! :) I'm so glad you dropped by! Thanks for taking the time to look around and for the questions and kind words. You're so sweet!!

When it comes to creating my original characters, there's always something about each of them that I really like or admire. Developing characters and bringing them to life (in a sense) is so much fun! It's also kind of weird and frustrating because I get attached to them, and sometimes I find myself talking about them as if they were real people, and get some really strange looks and curious questions as to who I'm talking about haha. I think most writers get this lol but it's true!! You form an author to character bond. Writing is such a strange world to get wrapped up in. Sorry, I'm rambling, but yes, I do have a couple of favorite characters. They are the ones I've been working with the most recently and have been a lot of fun to create. One girl is a fiesty little thing. A mechanic with an attitude and a tad bit of a drinking problem...but she's lost an arm, a leg, and a brother, so I suppose she's a bit bitter about it. I have another character, who has been my biggest challenge to work with, because she doesn't talk. She's tiny and sweet...but don't let her quiet demeanor fool you. There's a spark somewhere in those eyes, ready to ignite at any moment. She's probably my favorite character to work with right now because she has such a big, warm personality for such a quiet person, and I really have to focus on body language and non-verbal communication with her, and I like the challenge. One of my favorite things about creating characters and writing their profiles is coming up with their personalities. All their quirks and flaws and past experiences. All the things that make them tick and act the way they do. It's so fun and rewarding to watch them come to life and grow. They start out as this tiny seed of an idea briefly passing through my mind as I lie awake at night, to these complex, three-dimensional characters who come from so many different places and walks of life. Then I get to throw them into some of my favorite worlds and stories and have them interact with those characters and leave their mark. Then actually writing the fanfiction is an adventure in itself :)

I realize I probably sound like a total weirdo right now haha but I loved this question! Thanks again! I appreciate you stopping by!! :) So much love right back 'atcha!!

5 years ago

Awww thank you so much Em!! You're awesome :)

"This made me laugh because I'm the same way. It doesn't ruin the movie or show for me if I google the ending. It gives me a feeling of calm or preparedness for what's to come (I'm a very anxious person), but it drives my boyfriend crazy."

Yes exactly! It doesn't ruin anything for me either. It allows me to sit back and enjoy the movie, and like you said, prepares me for what's to come. Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this lol.

"As for your interest in the paranormal, I live 30 minutes from Virginia City, Nevada, known as the most haunted city in Nevada. Spooky cool little ghost town. It was featured on the Travel Channel’s “Ghost Adventures” series. If you ever make it to Nevada, you should take a tour!"

Oooh! That's awesome!! I love checking out haunted places and going on ghost tours. It's interesting and exciting, but it's also just fun getting to learn about all the history. If I ever get over there, I'll check it out! "Ghost Adventures" is awesome by the way lol my sister and I like to binge watch it :)

"Question #2- What are your favorite smells?"

Babies. Haha. I know they can be stinky, but looking past the spit up and the poop, babies smell so good y'all. I could cuddle my newborn niece for hours, and I love when my shirt still smells like her even after I have to give her back to her parents lol. I also love the smell of lavender and many other different essential oils. Rain. Campfires. Nature. The ocean :) Tropical, fruity smells. Home cooking.

"Question #3- What are seven of your bucket list items? Things you want to do before you die."

1. Travel! As much as I can :)
    2. Put my feet in as many oceans and bodies of water around the world as possible.
    3. Skydive
    4. Swim with sharks/dolphins
    5. Go Scuba Diving/Snorkeling
    6. Zip Lining!
    7. Write a book and have it published

I have a thing for the ocean haha. Salt water runs through these veins. It's hard to choose just a few items cause there is so much I wanna do!

"Question #4- If you died today, what would you want to be remembered for?"

Oh gosh. Well if I died today I would definitely not wanna be remembered for burning the muffins I attempted to make earlier and stinking up the whole house lol. This is a hard question. I've never really thought about this before. I just wanna be remembered for being me, for as long as people wanna remember me for. That I was a nice, fun person to be around...and hopefully went out with a bang! I hope I've had a positive impact on people, and they remember me as a good friend, a great sister and daughter, and the coolest Aunt ever ;) Really I just want to love and give the best parts of me to amazing people who will carry that with them and pass it on even after I'm gone.

Great questions!! :)

• Brenda replied to Ren
    5 years ago

Ren, love your answers! I too share a lot of your thinkings lol. I wish more people shared your views in this world. Wouldn't it be a nice place?

• Ren replied to Brenda

Awww my goodness!! Thank you so much, Brenda!! You are too kind :) I really appreciate that, and I'm so happy you stopped by and took the time to read a little about me lol. The world already is a better place just by having people like you in it :) So many hugs to you!!

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Ren
    5 years ago

Love your bucket list, Ren.
    We have many overlaps.
    Every time I come to a body of water I am compelled to get wet, however much I can manage but at least feet or hands.

I love scuba & that is how you can best swim with sharks (unless you insist on Great Whites - in which case you’d do better with a cage).

Questions:
    1 What specific thing would you most like to change in this world (not “world peace” or “end hunger” type general issues)?
    2 Would you ever sell your talent for a regular income? Why or why not?
    3 Where are the skeletons buried? ;8-)

Love your bucket list, Ren.
    We have many overlaps.
    Every time I come to a body of water I am compelled to get wet, however much I can manage but at least feet or hands.

I love scuba & that is how you can best swim with sharks (unless you insist on Great Whites - in which case you’d do better with a cage).

Questions:
    1 What specific thing would you most like to change in this world (not “world peace” or “end hunger” type general issues)?
    2 Would you ever sell your talent for a regular income? Why or why not?
    3 Where are the skeletons buried? ;8-)
    4 Have you met other PNQ members face to face? (Luce & I each live in greater north Houston).

• Ren replied to Larry Chamberlin

Hi Larry :) thanks so much for taking the time to read this thread and ask questions!! It's much appreciated!

Oh I am the exact same way when it comes to water!! I always end up getting in there one way or another, or like you said, at least my hands or feet :)

I would love to be able to scuba dive! Especially if I could swim around with some awesome sea critters. Sharks fascinate me. They always have. I'm terrified, naturally, but I'd still love to check them out. I would not object to the cage though, haha, for sure.

"1 What specific thing would you most like to change in this world (not “world peace” or “end hunger” type general issues)?"

Going more Green!! Take initiative and do our part to help take better care of our planet. Save the environment and the bees and our oceans! <3

"2 Would you ever sell your talent for a regular income? Why or why not?"

Hmmm. That depends. Are you asking that instead of possessing a talent, would I sell it, as in get rid of it and no longer be able to do it, so I can get a regular income? If yes, then my answer is no, because I'd much rather keep my talent than make money. Talents are apart of who we are and make people interesting :) I guess it depends on what talents, too. But if you're asking would I sell my talent, as in provide a service to people with it and charge for it, then I have no idea, cause I don't really have a talent worth selling...? I'm pretty mediocre in everything I do haha. But hey if I could make some money then sure, why not. Interesting question...and I probably overthought it lol.

"3 Where are the skeletons buried? ;8-)"

In an abandoned field, salted and burned, of course.

I mean...

*Clears throat*

What skeletons?? *Shuts closet door*

"4 Have you met other PNQ members face to face? (Luce & I each live in greater north Houston)."

Oh wow y'all are so close!! I haven't met anyone on here from the Houston area so that's awesome! One of my friends is on here, I introduced her to the site, but other than her I haven't met any PnQ members face to face. I'd love to someday though! I've been on this site for so long, it feels like home, and y'all are like family :)

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Oh brother, I'm getting worse and worse at asking my questions in a timely fashion. Yes, it is July 16 and technically this ended on July 11, but it's not over until I ask all 10 questions! I apologize for once again screwing the pooch. Wow, that's a crass idiom. I don't think I want to know its origin. Anyway, back to you, Ren! Great, thoughtful answers so far. Answer this next burst at your leisure. No rush at all.

Question #5: What is the hardest thing you have ever done?
    Question #6: Which of the poems you have written most resonates with who you are as a person? A poem that you feel is so *you*.
    Question #7: Is there a poem by a famous author that has made a lasting impact on you? Has a poem on PnQ ever moved you to tears?
    Question #8: What era would you go back to if you could and why?
    Question #9: What is some of the best advice you have ever received?
    Question #10: Are there any quotes you strongly identify with and try to live your life by?

No worries at all!! You've done a wonderful job with these threads and I really appreciate you taking the time to make them happen :) I apologize for such a late reply!! Time got away from me and for some reason I had it in my mind that my turn was over until I glanced back on and saw you posted again. Sorry about that! I'm a bit scattered brain lately. So thank you for giving me the chance to finish :)

"Question #5: What is the hardest thing you have ever done?"

That's a tough question to answer, but two instances stand out the most. One being when I was taking care of my mom when she had cancer, and watching her go through all that mess. The second thing would be going through nursing school and my first nursing job.

"Question #6: Which of the poems you have written most resonates with who you are as a person? A poem that you feel is so *you*."

I feel like every poem I've written exposes a different piece of me each time, whether it be good or bad, and sadly I think most of them are really depressing lol I dont even wanna pick one. But I'd say "Wanderlust" sums up the more positive, adventurous side of me. I'll go with that one :)

"Question #7: Is there a poem by a famous author that has made a lasting impact on you?"

This isn't necessarily a poem, but I love and absolutely adore the amazing worlds and adventures of J.R.R. Tolkien's creations, and these particular lines get me everytime.

"I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something."

"Question #7 Part Two- Has a poem on PnQ ever moved you to tears?"

Oh gosh yes. There are so many talented writers and poets on here. Y'all have moved me to tears on several occasions!!

"Question #8: What era would you go back to if you could and why?"

If I could pick a time to go back to, I'd have to say letting my hair down and dancing around barefoot in the 60's/70's would be awesome!! It was such a radical time with artistic flare and colorful ways of life. I'm the psychedelic sheep of the family and a hippy at heart, so I think it'd be fun...and interesting :)

"Question #9: What is some of the best advice you have ever received?"

"One of the biggest mistakes you can make is thinking you should have your life together in your 20's."

"Question #10: Are there any quotes you strongly identify with and try to live your life by?"

"Expect nothing and appreciate everything."

:)

5 years ago

^ “One of the biggest mistakes you can make is thinking you should have your life together in your 20's."

... or at any age for that matter.

Most often in the later years what passes for a person getting their life together is the result of giving up on too many things.

I say keep your dreams even if it keeps your life messy!

• Jamie replied to Ren
    5 years ago

That quote <3

• silvershoes replied to Ren

Hey Ren,

I'm so sorry your mom had cancer. I'm sure it was a blessing for her to have such a kind and loving daughter there for her.
    I also love J.R.R. Tolkien and the quote you picked to share is perfect. I'm a bit of a fantasy nerd in general, but Tolkien is a favorite for his wildly expansive imagination. Sam was the unsung hero of that tale, was he not? Sweet and brave Sam.
    I can easily picture you in the 70s with flowers in your hair and no shoes on your feet.
    Love the advice you received. I think people in their early 20s especially need to hear advice like that. I know it changed my outlook on life when I received assurance that I didn’t need to have it all together.

Thank you so much for your time, Ren. It's been a pleasure getting to know you.

I'm going to end this thread with the poem you mentioned: Wanderlust.

The clouds part
    and all I see is
    …sky…
    Miles upon miles
    of the sweetest blue
    you could ever
    sink into

I chase the horizon
    …breathing in a new day…
    and I long for the wind
    to play with my hair
    and for the sun