Weekly Contest Results 8/20/2018

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Congratulations to MA, Lady Nik, and CJ Maleney! A little early I know! I can't say I would've chosen any differently than our judges this week - truly remarkable stuff, guys. MA, your poem knocked me to knees (figuratively since I was already sitting down). CJ, you've created such a delicately and beautiful somber piece about a picked flower. There is more to this poem than the literal. Lady Nik, you've created something that feels flawless and effortless and relatable. I love this line in particular:
    'Noise, that’s all it was.
    Lies I turned into love notes
    to help me sleep at night.'

Thank you to our judges and sub judges for continuing to make the weekly contest possible. Congratulations to all of the honorable mentions.

-Jane

WINNERS:

Mahogany Rain. by Poet on the Piano: 10 + 10 + 10 = 30 points
    Let Go by Lady Nik: 7 + 7 = 14 points
    little flower by CJ Maleney: 7 + 4 = 11 points

COMMENTS FOR WINNERS:

Mahogany Rain.
    by Poet on the Piano
    30 points

"I'm speechless with this poem.

Its breathtaking within each line,
    filled with emotion to be the person
    you want to become, to find your true soul
    and yet society makes you crouch into a corner
    questioning your thoughts, fears and struggles.

MA, touched me this week!" (10)

-

"It’s been a while since I have read such a wonderful poem. Poetry should cast you into another world where your senses are stimulated. Poetry should move you, affect you and even, like this one, for a moment, become you.

The formatting is superb, each word, stanza and full stop is in the right place. Mahogany rain speaks of a world that moves too fast for nature and our emotions to keep up. It is no wonder why our minds find invisible places to occupy, if only for a while." (10)

-

"I happened to read this piece at a moment when I was feeling something very similar and connected to your poem very well. The feeling you explored in the words you used were very sensitive in a way that I caught them. This piece was a perfect description of what my morning dream made me feel, and I love it for making me feel not like the only one. :)" (10)
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Let Go
    by Lady Nik
    14 points

"This is beautiful, elegant and yet heartbreaking-

I adore Lady Nik's style within this poem.
    To hold onto a person and yet wanting to break free, knowing
    the unhealthy balance it has on your soul is very difficult.
    truly a wonderful poem." (7)

-

"Similes help the writer paint pictures for the readers’ mind. From the start this poet plunges you into a world of fire and ice. Opposites do not always attract and this sad poem about being trapped in a violent relationship highlights this so well. Many will relate to this poem, especially the journey one takes when things get difficult. We try to blame ourselves, kid ourselves that it will get better, but, like this poem, the voices of truth will not be muffled forever – eventually, the will scream out what you’ve known all along." (7)

little flower
    by CJ Maleney
    11 points

"Craig, I think what's profound about this piece is that you tell this little story of that quest to brighten your own life, and the light and hope a flower can give, yet there is the reality that beauty fade and not everything lasts forever. I instantly pictured a sunflower and I think the brevity worked so well with this piece. It made me think of the way we may interrupt nature to have something close to us that may comfort us. It also reminded me of the cycle of life or even days, like the sun setting and the inevitability of darkness. I sensed an innocence yet desperation in this piece, to be able to tangibly hold on to something and have it serve as an inspiration, when life becomes out of control and we need a small reminder not all things are bleak. I feel like we all have an ache in our hearts, a space that needs to be filled. Glad this piece was nominated, as I believe it holds a lot of perspective." (7)

-

"This is a unique twist to a metaphor
    that has been written of before,
    I can't get enough of this poem
    and just how beautiful it is.

There is so much beauty and sorrow
    mixed within this rich little poem- its just wonderful!" (4)

COMMENTS FOR HONORABLE MENTIONS:

That old-thing called darkness
    by: Michael
    10 points

"Honestly, it was a bit hard reading this piece because of how much resonated with me. How deeply I feel those demons, how it is like poison in our mind. We try so hard to sort through the negative thoughts and work on focusing toward the positive, but it's like we're always on the verge of an ambush. I liked how you mentioned the vulnerability, because although it is a beautiful thing, it can be terrifying and I have a fear someone will take advantage of that. You've captured so many emotions and images that make a lot of sense to me when this darkness, this monster of depression, uses us as prey. That final line gave me shivers because we can become lost in the depression, and it takes several times to try to find ourselves among the dark. To clear our brains and purge our thoughts seems somehow impossible, especially when we know we can make progress but those same "habits" or patterns of behavior pop up, and we can't block them anymore but have to work through them.

I hope indeed that you find your way through expressing this, especially since you've been honest about your struggle with and recovery from addiction. I hope you can fight through the demons, and perhaps giving them a voice through writing is one way you can out them and work on overcoming them with your inner voice. All the best." (10)

A gambling awareness
    by Michael
    10 points

"When I discuss with anybody the subject of 'poetry' their eyes glaze over and they immediately assume I am going to discuss Shakespeare or his ilk. What I look for in poetry is something that is relevant to today. Michael has written a brilliant, relevant and relate-able, modern piece of poetry here that not only gives us a glimpse into his own demons, but ponders the morality of the whole industry. It's poems like this that prove that poetry can be modern and can still be an important outlet." (10)

Cinderella
    by CJ Maleney
    7 points

"A very different take on the common folk tale. I loved the new concept, the different story line, and the different Cinderella which I wonder if we would have liked to know. Beautifully explored, very well written, and definitely captivating. Well done." 7)

Hello can anybody hear me?
    by Mr Darcy
    7 points

"Mr D has written a heart breaking piece this week that deserves recognition. It is a brave write. You can't help but feel for him and admire his strength of character to not only share this piece but share his strength. I don't him well but from reading his poetry I can see that he is a well rounded caring individual. Love the double meaning in the title as well, points to not only his condition but also how he must have felt as a child." (7)

I SING A SONG
    by CRAFTY KEN
    4 points

"I had to laugh when I first read this. I nodded like an ornamental car dog at the truth in it – we do sing, even when the world slaps you, again and again – we sing! Why do we do this? We sing to help our mind stay focused on surviving another day. We sing with words of optimism, love and happiness. We sing to remind ourselves that we were once happy and will be again. Singing brings people together, mends broken hearts and reminds us of what has past. Let us not forget to sing when life needs a lift." (4)

Ode to red sofa
    by Yogi73
    4 points

"I loved this piece, very funny and an insight into the male mind. We see most mundane objects as something feminine and desirable. We also become quite attached to our sofas or cars, bed favourite chairs etc. Worth an HM at least this week purely because you have taken an everyday object and given it some character. Well done." (4)

When Love Escapes
    by Walter
    4 points

"Toxic relationships! It is very harsh to be in love with a person who is wrong and there's nothing worse than being stuck in it and not being able to leave. Along with exploring a severe issue, Walter has also chosen an apt title - when love escapes - what's left is severely toxic." (4)

on smashing glass
    by: c. a. williams
    4 points

"One thing I've noticed with your poetry, is that you truly show the reader and leave an impact with a few stanzas, without relying on descriptions that have to almost be force fed to the reader. There's a rawness in this piece, a smooth yet untamed passion, and I love the kind of juxtaposition of the sea being sweet (when one would thinks salty) and the way this storm will not be letting up yet how you welcome that. One thing I wasn't too sure of but simply my observations. I can't decide if "tears tear flesh" worked. It kind of made me stumble first time reading. I did however like the way "spilling" was repeated in the last stanza and how it came with ease, and this storm is like a desire you've been waiting for. Really neat piece!" (4)

• naaz
    5 years ago

Love, love, love...

for winners, HM's, judges, moderators, each and everyone.

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congratulations to MA, Lady Nik and Craig. Good job judges, including the wonderful comments on the HMs.

Thanks for hosting & posting, Jane.

One week left, Judges!
    Anyone who wants to step up for the next term (September & October) contact a mod or the mod account.

• End Of Eternity
    5 years ago

Congratulations & thanks to everyone :)

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Awesome writing all around. Thank you judges for your time and making the tough choices. Thank you Jane for hosting...

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for winners
    Grateful to judges
    Thanks to Moderators
    Much love for pnq family

S

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Appreciate it, thank you so much to the judges who wrote the comments and others who read the piece. There's been a lot on my mind, kind of overwhelming me, and it felt like a huge exhale to be able to put at least some of it into words.

Thank you to the judges and Jane, for hosting.
    Congratulations to Nik (good to see you on PnQ again and it's never something simple or easy to "let go") and Craig's poem which said so much in so few words.

Wonderful work everyone! Take care <3

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Congratulations one and all. :0)

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi all,

Thank you Jane for hosting this weeks competition.

Congratulations to all front pagers with lovely poetry

To all the judges this term for your time every week, and to the two judges that left some lovely comments on my HM poems.

Much love, M :)x

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

I would like to say a massive well done to all winners and HM's and to all those nominated. That my poems stood along side yot guys and received votes I find rather humbling.

Thank you to our judges for your lovely words and insight. You pretty much captured my mood perfectly with regards to little flower.

Cinderella was another of my twisted fairy tales, which I simply love doing. I realise these go on a bit, but if you're going to re write a story you have to finish it. Even if it only makes you happy. That someone liked it enough to vote really makes me smile.

As always massive respect to our Mods and host.

Thank you all so much and it's goodnight/good morning from the beautiful island of Rhodes.

Efcharisto

Craig

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Well done to all the winners and hms this week.