Weekly Contest Winners - August 27, 2018!

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Hello, everyone! Wanted to wish you all a great start to the week and a big thank you to this term's judges for their time and dedication. We appreciate you! That said, we are still in need of four judges for this next term which will start in September and end in October. Please volunteer if you have an interest and privately message a mod.

Huge congratulations to our winners and HM's, which we had a lot of this week! The site broke ties and we had quite a few introspective pieces. We have a dark yet clever piece by Ben Pickard: "Sometimes, It Is Harder" which no doubt will make many members think. "Fallen leaves of confusion" by Ya ---- Na is a hopeful love piece that holds some uncertainty yet lots of desire. And then Dagmar's emotional piece, "To conquer that fear", on overcoming abuse.

Such powerful poems this week, congrats to all!
    Also, one note: I do apologize for this mistake on our part but Ben Pickard's "Death, I Say To You: Know You Are Beaten (English sonnet)” should have an HM attached to the poem since a judge wrote a comment for that piece for 7 points. My apologies.

WINNERS:

“Sometimes, it is Harder”
    by: Ben Pickard 10 + 4 = 14 points

“Fallen leaves of confusion”
    by: Ya-Na = 10 points

“To conquer that fear”
    by: Dagmar Wilson = 10 points

COMMENTS:

“Sometimes, it is Harder” by: Ben Pickard

“During this term I have read a lot of brilliant poetry, stanzas aplenty. This piece was a breath of fresh air for me this week. Ben has written a piece without any fill, just straight to a point and written as a conversation. I like to discover different pieces, this is one I shall try in the future. Why a 10? Because it got me thinking. Each time I read it I smiled. It is cleverer than it appears. No easy feat.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“I found this compact poem tragically sad and funny too. That, for me, is the essence of this, a person who ‘puts a brave face on, despite the pain’

How would we know if and when the pain becomes too much? Will it be when the laughter/smile becomes maniacal/twisted… or when, like a pendulum, a cadaver swings the answer “from the rafters” (4)

“Fallen leaves of confusion” by: Ya-Na

“A beautiful poem filled with the hopes of love. Although there might be confusion in your heart, but this poem also reflects happiness in each and every sentence and there is a brimming horizon of happiness for every doubt, confusion and other blurred feelings felt in this. I particularly loved the imagery used, especially "the crayon dreams" made.” (10)

“To conquer that fear” by: Dagmar Wilson

“Sometimes we make miles of progress and find we are at the juncture where we began. The poem’s theme of fearful angst plays out so vaguely that questions demand to be asked. Is the original abuser still present? If so, why? Is this child young and defenseless? Who exactly is the abuser? Is it the same person or has the child, perhaps an adult, fallen into the same emotional morass as her mom? I feel in my heart that it is the latter and the poet must now help her child find the strength to break out and learn how to value herself. Deeply disturbing yet hopeful poem.” (10)

HM’S:

“A change of scenery” by: Michael = 10 points

“DIY Baptism” by: Alice = 10 points

“August Screams (acrostic)” by: Meena Krish = 7 points

“Cure(Senryu)” by: Blank Canvas = 7 points

“Death, I Say To You: Know You Are Beaten (English sonnet)” by: Ben Pickard = 7 points

“Kaaterskill Falling” by: Maple Tree = 7 points

“white noise” by: brevity = 7 points

“The Last of It” by: Enrico Miguel Ulep Catolico = 4 points

“Pigments” by: Rania Moallem = 4 points

“Shine” by: Charlie = 4 points

“Your Fragile Self” by: Trampled Angel = 4 points

COMMENTS:

“A change of scenery” by: Michael

“..captured in a teardrop of dream rolling down the face of a wounded heart.”
    ^
    “What a way to finish a poem – wow!
    Michael has set this piece out in four movements. I call them this, as they read/felt like music to my ears and soul.

The poem is written with exquisite descriptions that with or without context are pleasurable.

Is this a journey of a teardrop emanating from a broken heart, travelling out of the eyes and slowly down a face? Emotion has never been described more richly then that within this tear drop depicted. Kudos.” (10)

“DIY Baptism” by: Alice

“Water = Purity, cleansing and a new fresh start.

I caught myself visualizing a shower or a soft rain shower- to make anew.. to be whole again.

Really enjoyed this powerful, spiritual and nature cleansing piece. Just lovely.” (10)

“August Screams (acrostic)” by: Meena Krish

“Natural disasters are destructive in every way, and the poet brings us here a very clean and clear message: not to mess with mother earth, if she provides, she can take it all back too. A very raw, distressing, and emotional piece for me, and it brings us to think about everything done and everything need to be done. I hope all of us begin to understand this now more than ever.” (7)

“Cure(Senryu)” by: Blank Canvas

“This Senryu simply blew me away. I know depression very well and that last line just underlined how we all feel. I love seeing a Senryu used in this way. I would probably write 5 stanzas using the same subject matter and probably wouldn't say much more than this little poem does. Great write, truly honoured to award 7 points to this.” (7)

“Death, I Say To You: Know You Are Beaten (English sonnet)” by: Ben Pickard

“Poets spill their hearts week after week on this site. This incredibly written sonnet floods out, spiting death itself in the knowledge that his life will go on. No matter what fate has in store, his love and life learnings will perpetuate in his children’s hearts. Damn you, G. Reaper, you can take me, but know this, I’ve beat-ya” (7)

“Kaaterskill Falling” by: Maple Tree

“Nature is the abiding peace for the purist of souls. The poet draws you into her world in a seamless weaving of its beauty. Even gentle humor allows the slipping on moss covered rocks to be experienced as dancing. Home indeed.” (7)

“white noise” by: brevity

“This poem is very powerful, feelings of anxiety, stress and depression mixed into one poem.

Thoughts of despair and yet strength, so much strength within this poem. Creative and unique with a powerful visual display, truly admire this poem!” (7)

“The Last of It” by: Enrico Miguel Ulep Catolico

“Well this elegant and flowing rhyme tugged at my heart strings. It’s purely emotional beauty, the beats were on point and I had a sorrowful rhythm while reading- the ending made me cry buckets of tears- most enjoyed!” (4)

“Pigments” by: Rania Moallem

“How interesting is the association of feelings to colour, and the most tricky - intelligent - clever - beautiful - I really don't know which word it exactly is... that when all the world outside started to lose all its colour and began to turn grey, the feeling generated inside wasn't grey but rather blue (I was referring only to the usage of English language until here, not why someone is feeling blue rather than grey.)

Coming to the poem specifically, this is beautifully-crafted and was a very sentimental piece to me. I wonder if the greyness is describing the transition of summer to monsoon, or is it the change in the perception of the world around in the poets view; which ever it may be, it was beautiful written. The usage of colours and the choice of words was very artistic; it was more of a very beautiful painting painted... I could see it the very first time I read the piece, I can see it now ... in fact, I could then even feel myself standing right there. Very beautifully written.” (4)

“Shine” by: Charlie

“This poem had me baffled. I read and re-read numerous times. It is massive. A tongue twisting journey that doesn't seem to take you anywhere other than the starting point. I am still confused. Yet I am also intrigued. I am sure that 80% of the words could be removed and we would have a 10 point poem. However that said, I loved reading it, Loved getting lost in it. For that you have my 4 points.” (4)

“Your Fragile Self” by: Trampled Angel

“The constant fear of hurting your partner is eloquently set out here. What develops as the poem continues is the slow realization that perhaps fragility is a passive aggression on the part of the other. Still, whether to accept this limitation or quit the game shows forth as the most difficult choice to be made.” (4)

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Happy for winners
    Grateful to judges
    Thanks to Moderators and all the beautiful members for the nomination.
    Much love for pnq family

S

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

A genuine thanks to all the judges for their time during this term and for all the comments and votes that I have received.
    As far as this week is concerned, well done to Dagmar and S - wonderful pieces - and congratulations to all the hms.

#MA - no problem at all in regards to the hm... but I do like those little blue badges :)

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations all! Well done, bravo ! Thank you Mary Anne for hosting and judges for your time.

• Mr. Darcy replied to Brenda
    5 years ago

^
    Yeah, what that fine lady said!

• Jamie
    5 years ago

I am grateful for the judge vote and HM thank you.

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Well done everyone.

Taken me a couple of days to catch up on my reading but wow!

There were poems I deemed worthy of a front page win that didn't make it, but those that did and those that relieved HM's should be proud as should everyone who was nominated.

Regards all.

Craig

• Sunshine
    5 years ago

Thank you Mary Anne for hosting!

Thank you Ya Na for nominating my poem and the x judge for your sweet comment. Deeply appreciated!

Amazing poems this week! Every week!

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congrats to the winners and HMs. Thanks judges, hang in there one more week!
    Thanks, MA for hosting.

• naaz
    5 years ago

Love, love, love...

for winners, HM's, judges, moderators, each and everyone.