Struggling

• Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

Hey there! I haven't been active in quite some time, around 4 years. In that time, I haven't written very much at all. I blamed lack of inspiration for a while and eventually allowed poetry to slip through the cracks of life. I feel so out of touch with my writing, it feels foreign. Any tips on how I can get back in the groove? After 4 years, I feel like I have a lot of pent up emotions that need released. Longest rut I've ever been stuck in.

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Well inspiration is everywhere. Some random words from dictionary form a story, a tale, gives a topic to write. Or the images like wallpaper etc... Provides good content with scenery. Then life is the best teacher. Every single day is different, so much to observe, so much is happening around us. Observe and write into your own words and style. Try it.

• Hannah Lizette replied to Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions! I've tried some of those already but it feels so forced right now. I'm trying too hard, which is frustrating. I'm very picky, which is one of my major downfalls. It is just going to take me some time to find a way back to my style of writing.

• Sunshine
    5 years ago

hmmm maybe not exactly a theme, but an unconventional poetry challenge ? I can drop you one via PM if you're interested to try out!

• Hannah Lizette replied to Sunshine
    5 years ago

Of course! I'll try anything! Thank you!!

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Hi, I find when I'm struggling I tend to try some formed poetry. It takes my mind away from forcing things and gives me a different perspective.

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

that's right, Brenda. Trying formed poetry taps into the sub-conscious and can reveal more than you know. Try an acrostic, they can be an easy way into 'poetry'.

Putting words
    onto a page can
    eek out those thoughts
    that can often paint so many
    rainbows for others to
    yearn to walk and explore...

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

Dear Hannah
    forgive me, but you are as powerful now and you were back then...

you said it yourself, you have a tone of pent up stuff... just write it... let it gush out.

The ideas given above are excellent...

I have found that grabbing an object in the room I am in at the time and using that as a metaphor for my feelings can be very explosive.

So happy you are back <3

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Hannah! Welcome back, good to see you :)

Excellent advice from everyone else. What helped me the most, and I'll never forget, is a freewriting practice we had to do every day in my poetry class in college. It was 2 or 3 minutes of writing without stopping or pausing or thinking before we wrote. Often times, there was gibberish on my part or even expletives, but I was ridiculously honest with myself in a way that was new and helped me sort through the chaos of my emotions.

Hope you can write more soon and continue to share with us!

• Hannah Lizette replied to Brenda
    5 years ago

I will try that, I'll have to brush up on the different kinds and rules for formed poetry. I am afraid I've forgotten most. Thank you for the suggestion!

• Hannah Lizette replied to Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Ah, yes.. an acrostic would be an easy transition back into formed poetry. Yours is beautiful!!

• Hannah Lizette replied to Maple Tree
    5 years ago

Oh, Andrea.. I've missed your sweet soul! And of course your breathtaking poetry. Thank you for your kind words! And your suggestion. I will definitely try that.

• Hannah Lizette replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Great idea. I think that is pretty much what I done today, I just "vented" and afterwords took bits and pieces from it and formed a poem. It felt good to release some of it. It's good to be back!!

• Darren
    5 years ago

I know the struggle, back when we were both 'prolific' poems would just write themselves.

Now it's a ball ache to try and write anything.

the above suggestions are good though. Nothing like an acrostic to wake up your muse.

Welcome back.

• Lost One
    5 years ago

Look up random writing prompts, pick one, and go!