Weekly Contest Results, 8 October 2018

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Weekly Contest Results, 8 October 2018

There is sometimes great sacrifice for manifesting true reality. Ben expounds on the price of bringing life to his insightful poetry. MaryAnne laments her self-imposed cover-up and asserts her need to become open. Kitty Cat discovers her true feelings and is horrified how much her previous denial almost cost her. Congratulations to these poets on the front page and to those who are honorably mentioned. The site broke a tie among three 10 point poems.
    Thank you judges for your timely votes and comments.
    Also, thanks to the judge for the comment on my own poem and to Brenda for nominating it.

Front Page
    A Magical Curse (English sonnet) by Ben Pickard points 20
    Lost and Found (sonnet) by Kitty Cat Lady points 11
    August // by Poet on the Piano points 10

Honorable Mentions
    Eighteen - An Ode to my Parents by Milly Hayward points 10
    Spring II by Hellon points 10
    Jasmine: spring to the eyes by Ya----Na points 7
    Purple was there first (by abracadabra) points 7
    Then by Trampled Angel points 7
    sssserpents (Palindrome) by Michael points 7
    An Ode to my Parents (by Larry Chamberlin) points 4
    Halloween returns by Fenrir points 4
    Over The Horizon (Tanka) by Blank Canvas points 4
    Someday I'll be free (Trolaan) by Blank Canvas points 4

Comments
    A Magical Curse (English sonnet) by Ben Pickard Points: 10
    A sonnet full of screams requires a blade,
    To carve the bloody tears of crying shame.
    Within the scars the darkest song is played:
    His gift to us, inspired songs of pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A Magical Curse (English sonnet) (by Ben Pickard) Points 10
    Ben is a complete master of poetry as anyone who is familiar with his work will know. Regardless of what style he chooses, he always seems to capture us all in his moment. I'll be honest sometimes it's been a moment of madness and anger. (Just my opinion).
    Many have been the magical things he can and has created. When he has a bee in his bonnet about something that irks him. Or perhaps inspired him fantastic things flow.
    For this reason I have decided not to focus on style or format (everyone knows it is flawless as always) but I think on this occasion I would rather focus on content.
    I thought this poem is an observation about how poets desire to receive praise and reward for their work. Many need this, others simply do not care and post just to have an outlet.
    It also made me think about "The poets thirst". This is noticeable for two reasons. Yes it ties into this section of the piece. The thirst for critical appraisal? To belong? To just be noticed?
    The thirst is such poignant part of this poem for me, as is the cost.
    Does it take a drink to feel relaxed and fluid enough to write poetry? For many a poet this is the case. Sometimes it takes an addiction of one sort or another to wash or numb away the normality (or struggles) of day to day life and to let the mind flow.
    Sad but for so so many it is true.
    The sacrificial lamb made me think of all who regularly post their poems. Every single thing posted is open to both praise and criticism. Poets essentially put their head on a chopping block and wait for anyone with an axe to attempt literary decapitation.
    Yet we all do it! Why?
    To end at the beginning
    Yes words can sooth and yes they can hurt and wound. Sometimes words are beautiful. Sometimes they will make you fly or cry.
    I don't think I've ever read so much in 14 lines that made me think, feel and question so much. Possibly I have gotten it completely wrong, it is however my feeling on this work of genius.
    Probably the best poem I have read in a very long time.

Lost and Found (sonnet) by Kitty Cat Lady Points 4
    Some things are just meant to be, aren’t they? Sonnets are meant for love for they can truly harness the feelings of a heart to another. Here Kitty does just that by telling of the love that nearly got away and how fate has rolled another chance – a chance that she’ll grab with both hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lost and Found (sonnet) by Kitty Cat Lady Points 7
    Again I come across another formed piece, which I have attempted but I end up leaving well alone! Although rhyme schemes and syllable counts are important ingredients, I feel for any successful poems. This style is not an easy one to conquer by any means.
    The writer paints a story of their love for another, as I read it and maybe that they had missed something first time round, and this time the writer has clearly seen what they have now as they mention ‘one in their prime.
    A nicely told story of love, and how blind we are when in love and the things we do miss.
    Now I will say there in very few places, I felt the tempo is slightly off meter. However I would say to the author the story is wonderful, and a great try at this brain cursing style. Almost a ten!
    Well done.

August // by Poet on the Piano points 10
    this piece resonated with me a lot as I always question myself and the things I do and why someone would love etc but it goes to show we're all still here for a reason whatever that reason may be. I loved the ending because it's full of hope.

Eighteen - An Ode to my Parents by Milly Hayward points 10
    I so enjoyed this wonderful tribute to this authors, mother and father.
    A nicely rhymed piece reflecting on how important ones parents are, and the love of a family.
    The writer talks of some difficulties, but shows the bond with supporting through thick and thin. The importance of parental guidance and teaching really does make for a child/children when growing up. Then with the end of their poem, the writer tells of a nice gift in appreciation for being such wonderful parents.
    A real mood lifting piece, and thank you for sharing your loveable story with us.

Spring II by Hellon points 10
    Such an elegantly written string of haiku and yet so sad.
    Nature can be so beautiful and breathtaking and then be devastating.
    Hellon brings this reality to the front, reminding us of beauty and
    sorrow all wrapped into one beautiful poem. Powerful!

Jasmine: spring to the eyes by Ya----Na Points: 7
    Life is like a story. This poem reads like one too. Like all good writers, images/feelings are painted with rich descriptions. Ya----Na has a wonderful way of bringing this story of ‘rags to riches’ to vivid life.

Purple was there first (by abracadabra) points 7
    This is a rather lovely poem that depicts the creation of a life in a way I found to be unique and enthralling.
    It is an incredibly well written piece with a good flow and fantastic imagery that keeps the reader enthralled until the end.
    Oh and that ending! I giggled so much at this. Only from the lips of a little one!
    Brilliant, 7 points

sssserpents (Palindrome) by Michael points 7
    The form is fun and lively, it reads with a beautiful and sssssssductive flow- ha!
    I really enjoyed this piece, it can have a metaphoric twist as well... truly a powerful formed poem by Michael this week!

Then by Trampled Angel points 7
    this was eerily good and it touched me deeply that even 'a little’ wind and rain could make someone die if that makes sense especially when so many people are on the streets anyway it doesn't decipher the sadness away from the entire piece and the happiness at the ending, the relief that you didn't want to succumb to a cold death anyway, the imagery was fantastic and made me feel a chill.

An Ode to my Parents (by Larry Chamberlin) points 4
    Ascendency from child to adult it a very difficult thing to endure. It is full of fantastic moments and some horrible ones too.
    The right of passage is not and never will be easy. What the author captures here is both the good and the bad, albeit the bad is only slightly touched.
    Like it or not we are guided by our parents. For some this will be a good thing, For many it will not be so.
    However these life choices define who we are! You can choose to follow in your parents footsteps.
    Or you can be something more!
    A very deep and encompassing poem by what many of us gauge as the uncle of P'n'Q 4 points

Halloween returns by Fenrir points 4
    Fun, fun fun poem this week by Fenrir!
    It reads nicely and captivates the true magic of Halloween!
    I love forms and this little senryu is a gem!

Over the horizon (Tanka) By: Blank Canvas points 4
    This week has brought many formed poems, which has proved popular with myself. I would like to thank the writer of this poem in particular for leaving an explanation to the style of ‘Tanka’
    Very similar to ‘Haiku’ with the essence relating to nature, and this one stood out for me.
    Such a soft piece that holds a lovely image. The writer tells of ‘two souls intertwined’ with combining nature’s sunset. I really like the way the writer uses ‘swirl’ as if the colours are mixing two souls together through a painting.
    Very spiritual in my opinion, however the writer uses ‘fantasies’ as a way of being their look as an ideal in life.
    Simply beautiful. Well done.

Someday I'll be free (Trolaan) by Blank Canvas points 4
    a very honest write which made me grimace a little in places unfortunately when we have been through similar things these things are bound to set us off emotionally which this piece did. I applaud your bravery.

• Jamie
    5 years ago

Thank you to both judges who gave my poems HMS and to ben, milly, mr Darcy, Michael, dagmar, and andrea for nominating my poems

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations all you wonderful writers! Wonderful pieces abound on this site and I am fortunate enough to be able to be a part of this. Thank you Larry for hosting and always you judged for your time and choices.

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Thank you to the judge for their vote and comment. Congrats to everyone and a big thank you to all of our judges and of course Larry for hosting!

• Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

Congrats to all!!

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

It is lovely to see two sonnets on the front page and Ben, a thorn between two roses. :P Well done one and all.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congrats to all fellow winners, HMs and nominations.
    I'm thrilled to bits to be on the front page this week so huge thanks to Mark for nominating my poem and to the judges for their wonderful comments and points. I'm very grateful xx
    =^.^=

• Meena Krish replied to Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congratulations to the Winners and HM's
    Thank you judges and thank you Larry for hosting

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

To be honest, I'm humbled by the judges' comments this week and I am genuinely happy to have written something that at least a few people enjoyed and could relate to. I've just been reading about John Keats's tragic and short life and I suppose what inspired that sonnet was my fascination with the idea of poetry being so often beautiful to read but the price of writing those very same words being equally as often an ugly and devastating process for too many poets. Keats wrote such beautiful verse and at such a young age and yet he was tormented, physically and mentally until his death at just 25. Perhaps that makes our enjoyment of his work almost parasitic, considering its source.

Anyway, thank you so much and a huge congratulations to all those mentioned.

• Hellon
    5 years ago

Congrats to this weeks winners and HMs...Thanks to the judge for your lovely comment and thanks to Nana for the nomination. It was sad to see these little eggs ending up like this but, alas, we have to respect nature I guess...

• Milly Hayward
    5 years ago

(Sorry it's a little belated I thought I'd written something already :( ) Congratulations to all the winners and HMs and huge thanks to all the judges who volunteer their time each week. It's not an easy task with so many talented writers and it does take a great deal of time reading them all and choosing the best.
    Thanks to Larry who was this week's Mod and organiser. Best wishes Milly x

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for the winners and HMs
    Grateful to the judges for showering so much love on all of us.
    Thanks to our hardworking Moderators and to all the beautiful members for their time to read, comment and obviously nomination.
    Much love for pnq family..
    Jamie, brother, you did fantastic job with all those different formats especially trolaan. This week some amazing poems already on the nomination list. My best wishes to everyone and sorry for the late post.

S

• Darren
    5 years ago

well done everybody involved