it's become a f#×£!$g joke

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

I joined this site on the recommendation of a mate.

Lately every thing I search for off site seems to ping up on my home page. "Here"

If I search for a hotel, a toy for my daughter, a weekend away! My home page reflects this.

On a poetry site and an outlet for expression? This is unacceptable.

This site is now corrupt and has been sold out to big business and Facebo@k.

To the site owners! You should be fuc£i#g ashamed of yourselves.

To the Friends I've made on here. Message me before I vanish should you wish.

I'm giving it 3 weeks for people to catch up with me.

After that! then it's goodbye.

The site is now toxic

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

Awww I'm not understanding ? The site is toxic? I really would hate to see you leave..

• Mr. Darcy replied to CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Is this a Facebook thing? Does this happen to anyone else? Craig, there must be a way to sort this out. Larry?

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

I think we all have known that Janis supports the site by selling ads. However, I was not aware he had bought into Facebook's feedback style. Basically, what you are experiencing is how most sites have begun operating (although I do not see any ads if I have signed in).
    With most sites you have tracking cookies that use an algorithm to focus ads based on what you are searching.

• silvershoes

It pisses me off that Janis is potentially making money off annoying ads on a site that he’s abandoned to us. He does absolutely nothing to help keep PnQ afloat (besides checking in once every few years).
    Still, I hope you don’t leave, CJ. Do you have an ad blocker installed?

• PnQ Mod Account replied to CJ Maleney

Dear, this is Rania here.

I do understand that you are frustrated. But I'd like to start by clarifying for you that there is just one owner behind this site, and his name is Janis. The site owner definitely gets some revenue out of site visitors/ads, otherwise I doubt he will be willing to keep the site going by paying from his own pocket.

As for your issue, kindly do take some screenshots if possible, upload them and share the links over here to see the ads you're receiving and to further investigate into the issue you are encountering, perhaps we can make sure it's not browser-related issue, perhaps a virus or something at your end? Since we are not receiving the same load of ads you're getting, according to your post.

I barely see 1 ad on the bottom of the page, or one ad on 1 of the two pages' sides with none on the home page and other sections. So if you can show us what you're seeing, it would be very helpful. I will show you what I see at my end.

On a different note, we would not like to see you leave, remember none of us here is benefiting from this site, we are trying hard in the absence of the owner to keep the site alive because it means a lot for us, and for the years that we have spent it over here, and the friendships we have made along the years. It's been a decade and more. Janis barely shows up, we all have many requests to enhance the site, but we are patient and we keep on waiting for his return, ONLY because of what the site means for us. We hope you share our feelings too and do not rush into conclusions or allow your frustration to win over you.

Thank you for your understanding. Below you will find some links to the type of ads I see and their number, which is just 1 and not related to my search-history.

1 d:

https://imgur.com/a/qvV5Gxg

no ads:

https://imgur.com/a/TXfj2jt

EDIT:

Also if anyone else is seeing annoying ads scattered on the pages too, kindly share with us too!

• Hellon replied to PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^

and...that's why I love you Nana :)

• CJ Maleney replied to PnQ Mod Account

Thank you for your input and response. I looked at the link you sent and my screen looks completely different as only log in via mobile phone as I don't have a computer.

I understand the need to advertise to fund the site and this is not my issue. My issue is that the adds seem directly liked to things I've searched for on other sites, predominately Google.

For example the most recent ads I've seen on my P'n'Q home page were for a hotel in Lancaster England and the most recent was for a London theatre production.

Both are things I had searched for through Google. For both items to pop up as adverts on PnQ is odd at the very least . I'm not particularly clued up on computers and how it all works but this seems very suspicious to me.

I do enjoy my time on here and I've made some good friends but this issue annoys the hell out of me.

Regards

Craig

• CJ Maleney replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

I didn't realise the site owner had so little involvement. Why set it up in the first place if you don't want to be .

The mind boggles

• Lost One
    5 years ago

Your phone/computer saves cookies from the sites you've visited. All sites can read this information, and that's how the advertisements are generated. You can go into settings and enable "do not track" and regularly clear your cookies and browsing history, but you will still receive generalized advertisements. Some sites as part of the agreement to create them must agree to advertisements.

• CJ Maleney replied to Lost One
    5 years ago

Thanks for the advice dude

• Sunshine

Love you loads Hellon <3 ^_________^

~~~~~~

I understand the need to advertise to fund the site and this is not my issue. My issue is that the adds seem directly liked to things I've searched for on other sites, predominately Google.

^^^
    This has to do with Google's "ads that are based on your interests and info" and not P & Q

And as Tony said! I think you should fix this from your mobile/browser settings. It will help a lot, I do not receive ads even on mobile..so once you change your settings I think it will not annoy you.

If you are annoyed to this extent with privacy issues, make sure you visit your google activity and turn off all privacy related buttons (if you use android).

I hope the below link helps a bit:

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en

• Milly Hayward

I don't get any adverts that I've noticed but then I don't use Facebook. I also use Ad blocker on my phone and on my laptop so maybe that's why? (I don't see any adverts on this site on your page or anyone's)

Please don't leave. Perhaps another thing you can try is to do your searches when you are logged out of Facebook? Hope you will reconsider leaving. Best wishes Milly x

• CJ Maleney replied to Milly Hayward
    5 years ago

I'll try some of the things the guys have suggested and go from there

Craig x

• Meena Krish replied to CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Craig please don't leave...
    I used to have the same issues when I was using my phone to log onto the
    site and I also realized that when I do search for other things I have to log out
    of the poetry site otherwise it tags you. But you can go to the option of blocking
    ads. Hope it helps...

• Aegis
    5 years ago

I don't think I ever see any ads when I'm on the mobile site. I definitely see some from time to time on my laptop but they're never connected to my browsing history. I myself don't mind if the site owner makes any money so long as the site stays up. I've been using P&Q for around 12 years now and the community here is like a second extended family to me. There were a couple years that I was unable to find or use the site and it really upset me until I saw that it appeared again I'd be crushed if it disappeared again.-.

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Craig, I've kept out of this because I know how things can be when you're upset. It's the small things that really get to you. I am in no way belittling your gripes with the site, or publicly denouncing the issues you raise, but your upset and annoyance stems from a much more profound issue than that.
    I hope through messages you know me well enough to know how much I respect you but also to trust that I'm posting this on the boards and not as a pm because I have little doubt that everybody here holds you in equally high regard and supports you entirely at this upsetting time in your life. But more than that, you are one of the few 'new' members to have hung around and made this site genuinely buzz again with your enthusiasm, writing, humour and support.
    The adverts, however, are bloody annoying...

Take care, good man.

• Mr. Darcy replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

I totally agree, Ben.
    Maybe Janis is going to reinvest some of the revenue on completing our wish list?

*aircraft sounds above"

Sorry, what was that?

Oh, I can see it now, it's one of them there flying pigs.

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

I hope the suggestions help because I can only imagine how annoying that would be, Craig. It sucks to put it simply and I hope this doesn't cause you to leave. Heck, I think we're all super frustrated with Janis for quite a few things because we all care about PnQ and each other so much. And for years we've tried to change things as others members have too only to be limited in what we can actually affect.

You are awesome, Craig, and I think it would not be the same without you. I hope things look up and calm down on this site for you and in any other ways. You have a community here supporting you!

• CJ Maleney replied to Ben Pickard

Read and absorbed dude.

Yes! I will admit I was possibly if not probably firing on all cylinders when I wrote the initial draft. I was full of vinegar.

I awoke next morning thinking fu@k!

I thought should I delete or wipe it. Reading it back I decided to let the post stay.

I've had lots of advice both publicly here and via personal messages. All is welcomed.

One thing that still bites is this.

If this site is not affiliated to Facebook, why is it that when I come to log in it gives me a "log in via Facebook or Google"?

I think Janis has no involvement and has sold out. It would explain many things.

If not then Janis has a case to answer.

Pish and vinegar aside, I'll be staying.

Because where else could I peddle my random bollix which often I hate, yet people sometimes like my random.

Nah I ain't leaving although I may start being a little more aggressive, I mean defiant. I meant well !!! me?

Craig

Ps

Cheers Ben for? Well being Ben!

• CJ Maleney replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Your words are lovely and comforting. However I'm not awesome or special in any way whatsoever.

I'm just another member of a crazy poetry site. Happy to be so too.

Every person here has a value and worth that they can't possibly comprehend.

I spit post all the time, as others pour out their heart and soul. They do this for release and not for reward or accreditation.

Those faceless people I call friends and kindred.

So I shall stay and be happy to be amongst the faceless.

Even if I do get a bit mardy at times.

Emotion is a frogger to control. (Yes I do know what I typed, 80's flash back).

Craig

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Incidentally!

PnQ is not Janis.

It only exists because of you guys.

I received a message today saying don't leave as you are one of a few friends (words to that effect). This bloody humbled me. It was from a long serving and much respected member.

When you comment on someone's poem be honest, but don't be a twat.

We write for expression and release. Yes we open ourselves up to abuse and criticism. I guess most could do without the abuse.

I kinda like it as it gives me a reason to swear !more than normal!

You are all amazing. Remember this.

• Hellon replied to CJ Maleney

Incidentally!

PnQ is not Janis.

It only exists because of you guys.

^^^

Technically speaking, that's not true...we exist yes but only because of Janis.

When you comment on someone's poem be honest, but don't be a twat.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a fine line IMO...(for some people who may be more sensitive than others)

We write for expression and release. Yes we open ourselves up to abuse and criticism. I guess most could do without the abuse.

^^^^

If you post ANYWHERE on the internet you open yourself up to criticism for sure but...on this site I know for sure, if you feel someone is abusing you, tell a mod. they will help you.

Finally...

I don't know how many times I've read the 'drama' of members threatening to leave...members who have deleted ALL their poems but stayed and the ones who have followed through with their threats but...you know what , they all come back in the end...just like the lyrics of "Hotel California" ...you can check out any time you like but, you can never leave....

• Ben Pickard replied to Hellon

I have to agree with the essence of Hellon's last statement because I myself have twice deleted my account in a torrent of tantrum and anger and lost so much work that I hadn't saved anywhere else, stupidly. I'm probably as good a person as any to advise people who feel like leaving the site to just step back and have a break for a while; take a deep breath then come back when you're ready. But also, to just remember why we're here in the first place: to read, write and become acquainted with like-minded people.

• CJ Maleney replied to Hellon
    5 years ago

Leaving is easy. It's coming back that is difficult.

It's also easy to copy and paste!

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Incidentally opinions are like arse holes. Everyone has one. Every arse hole also seems to have an opinion.

Isn't it lovely to hide behind a pretentious self righteous sense of self?

What a complete and utter buffoon!

• Hellon replied to CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

This is a forum Craig where anyone with an opinion is entitled to express it as long as it's done in a mannerly fashion. I believe I have done so, therefore I have to wonder what there was in my previous post that resulted in you feeling the need to call me an utter buffoon among other things?

• Poet on the Piano

Here's an example where I feel we can all misconstrue things. I think Craig was speaking of, in general, people who hide their true self or speak from a different persona. Not trying to speak for you, Craig.

Also, I totally get the Frogger reference (even though I was born in 95 and missed a lot and probably am ignorant about a lot lol). My brother and I have fond memories of playing that, along with other arcade games. Heck, he still has an Atari and collects the "old school" gaming systems.

But anyway, I like the point of us all having value to this site. Each of us, in our own way. We should definitely realize that. It's cool we can talk and vent about things maybe others wouldn't "get" or take the time to listen.

Peace.