Weekly Contest Results October 15

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

*Rania here*

What a week. I wanted to post the results earlier, however, had to wait for the site to break the 3rd place tie between 3 10s which went to *A Perfect Storm*!

Congrats for Meena, Xandra and Craig for your front poems! Also Larry and Darcy...splendid work.

You are all on top for the judges this week as it seems they were fond of the majority of the nominated poems and thus so many HMs below. I will keep it short and leave you with judges' comments.

Thanks judges for dedicating so much of your time. Thank you all who keep on coming and writing and commenting or even just sharing your work with us to make this place breathe.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- >Comments:

Death (Acrostic & Palindrome) by Meena Krish points 4 + 10 = 14 points

This poem is something of a master class in writing. To write a palindrome is no easy task but do so in an acrostic format also is pure genius. I can only imagine how much effort must have gone into its creation.

The format of the poem detracts nothing from its subject matter and content which is a very fitting description of a rather difficult and sombre moment.

Fantastic work (10)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This piece really enthralled me because of the short lines maybe it's something to do with the palindrome within the acrostic or it's just because the whole piece was about death which here seemed so suddenly but I felt myself catching my breath a few times, which was far from a bad thing. (4)

Peace by Xandra_Writes, Points: 10 + 4 = 14

Poetry is able to capture the history of the world, or like this poem, an action that we can all relate to. This is what drew me to this, the descriptions of power of the sea,; its power to touch us, heal us and bring about inner ‘waves of serenity’ – imagine the spiritual experience there in your palm and just like that, palms straighten and the gift is returned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pure peace is oozing within each line of this poem, it was soothing to read and held me from start to finish.. just beautiful! (4)

A perfect storm by CJ Maleney 10 points

I have read many poems of grief and sadness, when cherished and loved pets sadly pass. This one being no exception. I can certainly empathise with the author, as I too had a dog (rescued) for many wonderful years. They are part of our family, and also incredible friends.
    I could feel the intense anguish expressed in this authors piece, as they relate their state of mood to the weather along with how they describe the garden, that once was a play haven (and at barbeque times, looking for dropped sausages).
    I do like the way this has been written, with so much emotion. Then almost to the end, when where their dog would take a shaded spot away from the sun. His final resting place. A sad but beautiful tribute to man and his loss of best friend.

10 minute mind dump by Mr. Darcy points 10

This was a very intriguing write which fascinated me and kept me enthralled from start to finish and though there was a saddened feel to the piece the bits of sarcastic humour (my opinion) gave it a really fun feel dare I say it.

Pretense of Normality by Larry Chamberlin 10 points

This has got to be, hands down- My favorite poem of the year to date.

In pure elegance, Larry's word usage, visual display and metaphor's dazzle the reader and yet it's so sad that the reader takes and gets the message... that is a gut wrenching emotion one gets while reading. Its beautiful and yet so sad.. Just a true, powerful poem this week by Larry!

What I look like when I wear poetry by Maple Tree 7 points

I came across this intriguing title and thought what does this writer see as themselves, while wearing poetry.
    The writer gives an account of how they have travelled through life, until a certain age has been reached. They have used such powerful imagery of how their poetry has felt within this time, as if they have dressed up in their work.
    I get a strong sense of a difficult and arduous journey, that comes with so much weighing upon them. Although some of their journey remains a mystery, which I feel is only for them to know.
    A very well written piece showing strength and reflecting on their journey thus far.

Flawed and Fair by Hope 7 Points

This poem not only aesthetically pleasing, it sounds good too with its generous rhyming and nice use of ellipses.
    The poem, for me, searches societal norms, if such things are real. One rule for one and another for those who play them to their favour. Bitter-sweet, but perhaps that’s just the moon on my pond?

Selective Hearing by Hannah Lizette points 7

Great usage of words and metaphors which really did grip me

Naked Tree Limbs (by Maple Tree) 7 points

This is a beautiful if sad poem by Maple Tree. How often do we mumble the words I'm fine or I'll be OK, when inside we feel nothing but pain and turmoil.

So often we hide our true feelings when secretly all we need is a cuddle.

This is an excellently written poem that certainly tugs upon the heart strings.

7 points without question.

A Face Better Kept Hidden by IdTakeABulletForYo 7 points

I cried with this poem and I want to hug this writer for sharing this poem with us this week because he did one heck of a display of his feelings and soul wrenching emotions this week. It hurts the reader to think that a person can feel this way and yet its a raw and honest display of how the person is feeling about themselves or how they see themselves in the mirror.

The word usage and specs of metaphor's are just that powerful.... excellent!

Cold front. by Tony 4 points

This piece certainly had a ‘cold’ thread running through. The author writes, with great use of metaphors where I sense a relationship contains all the chilliness of a winters season. From leaves that have fallen and turned to dust (their memories of what was) to a frosty season (the bitter end).
    I feel a lot of us writers can relate to tales of when times with another can become cold and painful. The writer here, has certainly painted that image very well, using wintry imagery to give the sharp chill factor in their piece.
    Although a sad piece, the writer has expressed this well.

Butterfly by Chatterbox909 Sphynx 4 Points

I found this poem to be written in a magical way, a way that youth can only muster this well. Told like a story, the human is the creature trying to kill a harmless butterfly. Hopefully, the magic wins the day as the poem ends on a cliff hanger.

The Lost Art of Wasting Time (Sonnet) by Kitty Cat Lady 4 points

A nostalgic piece that I feel does not simply reflect upon the past.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could wind back the clock awe do all the things we should have and said all the things we wish we had.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess.

The final two lines encapsulate everything for me and they were the deciding factor in casting my vote above others in contention.

What a wonderful piece of advice. (4)

• Jamie
    5 years ago

Thank you to hannah and brenda for nominating my poems.

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Some wonderful work this week. Well done to all involved.

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congrats to Xandra, Craig & Meena & to my fellow HMs.
    Thanks, Rania for hosting & to the judges for their dedication.

Thanks for the very flattering comment!

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

As always a massive thank you to our judges and moderators for their hard work and to whoever voted and left such lovely comments on my effort.

Big thanks to Mr Darcy for the nomination and also to everyone so has sent such amazing messages of support.

I know some will think it's just a dog, but they become such an integral part of the family and are very much loved. As you can imagine everyone is a bit of a mess and emotions are all over the place.

So one again thank you all so much.

Craig

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi all :)

Congratulations to all front page poets, some great and sad pieces. Also to all HMs awarded well done all

To the judges week in week out with sorting through such great poems.

Michael :)x

• Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

Congrats to all winners! Thanks to the judge who voted for my poem.. and to James for nominating it. <3

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Beautiful work everyone! Rania, thank you for hosting and as always you judges for your time and efforts.

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

Congratulations to everyone, and thank you judges for the hms, truly melt my heart.

Thank you judges and moderators for all your precious time involved with this site.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HMs and nominees :-)
    Huge thanks to Scott for nominating my poem and to the judge for their lovely comments, it's very appreciated. :-) x
    =^.^=

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Another week, another group of super writes and worthy wins and HM's. Thanks to everyone who makes this possible.

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Congrats to all and many thanks to our judges as well as Rania, for hosting! Hope everyone is having a good week so far ^_^

• Meena Krish replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Congrats to Xandra and Craig and to all those who received a HM.
    Thank you judges for your wonderful comments on my work and for the win
    and thank you Ben P for the nomination.
    Thanks for hosting this week Raina :)

• Milly Hayward
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners and huge thanks to Rania and the judges for giving up thier time to make this all possible. Some really excellent poetry is coming through so not an easy task to decide the best. Milly x