Names you 'dislike' for no apparent reason?

• Hellon
    5 years ago

This may be strange to some but others may nod in agreement. There are just some names I don't like and I can't explain why. To all you Grahams/Graeme's out there I apologise but....I just don't like your name. I always told my daughter to never bring one of them back home because he just would not get one foot in the door. I've never considered myself to be racist but..is there a name for someone who will just not have a bar of someone with a certain name???

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

I despise Joseph. Only because it's my middle name. I should be honored as it's my grandfather's name but I just don't think it suits me

Weird I know

• Hellon replied to CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Joseph isn't so bad on the scale of things. I was lumbered with my paternal grandmother's maiden name as a middle name...Crossan! Now that's was I call a 'cross to bare' haha!!!

I guess I should mention girl's names while I'm here. I really don't like the sound of Dorothy..don't know why but maybe it's the 'th' sound.

I've never been able to understand those parents who give their little girls boys names with a suffix added...eg...Erica, Georgette, Jamesina etc. It's like they're saying..'well you're a surprise...I really wanted a boy and never even looked at girl's names so..here you go'.

• Sunshine
    5 years ago

eghh..the list goes on! But they're mostly Arabic names so you won't be able to understand my struggle :P

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

It took me decades to accept the sound of ‘Larry’

• Sunshine replied to Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

LOL .. epic.

• Hellon replied to Sunshine
    5 years ago

Nana...I've seen a few Arabic names like Abd- (something or other) the Abd doesn't conform to our English language as you will know so I would find any person with that name..'strange' lol!!!

• silvershoes
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Tiffany. Ick.

I have no idea why anyone would choose to name their daughter one of these: Blanche, Gretchen, Gertrude, Petunia, Dorothy (seconded), Dorcas, Bertha, Prudence, Myrtle, Phyllis, Gladys... There are a lot of older names that are lovely. These are not among them.

• Michael
    5 years ago

No real idea why, as you say Hellon. I also don't really know why I dislike listen to a recording of my voice.

Anyway for the girls, its 'Jeanette' and 'Fernando' I think Cher hasn't helped by continuing to sing it on the radio, plus come to think of it 'Cher' its like an awful shortened Cheryl

Michael:)x

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

I love some of the sass (intentional or not) in this post and I'm cracking up ;P

It's hard for me to not associate names with people, whether in characters in books I read or everyday life, but I'm a bit sick of "Mary". There are like 4 in my church and I know so many more. I technically was born with Mary as my first name and Anne as my second, but growing up, I just combined it. Plus, my cousin was also Mary so my grandma would call us by first then middle.

I've never really taken to Roxanne, though I know one at work, one at church and one a family friend. Same with Judy.

Funny though how two of you mentioned "Dorothy" and I actually love that name! I may be partial because that was my grandma's name and I have the best memories of staying with her when I was younger. We'd call her Grandma Dot. Back when I had thought someday I'd want kids, I considered the name Dorothy Rose.

• silvershoes replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

The names Mary and Anne have grown on me quite a bit as I've grown older. They're royal names. Queenly. Strong.

Well if you like Dorothy because of your grandmother, I've already softened to it. Dorothy is a fine name. I stand by the rest of my list!

Dorothy Rose is cute. Rose is one of my favorite names. As well as any variant: Rosalie, Rosie, Rosy, Rosalyn, Rhoda, etc. Big fan.

• Poet on the Piano replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

I've heard others say that too, about them being royal, strong names.

I absolutely ADORE "flower" names. Lily, Violet and Rose all make me smile. And anything regarding nature: my favorites being Autumn and Luna.

This makes me think of the psychological connection we have with names. How we can associate names with certain emotions due to memories or just the initial reaction of hearing a name. It's also amazing to me how certain people in my life "fit" their name and personality, like I couldn't imagine my mom Sue being named anything else. She makes the name Sue stand out and any other name would seem dull.

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

ive always been a huge fan of older names as well as magical names...

a name that bugs me is Kayla.... nor Kay not a fan of names that sound like a letter Jay... ect....

• Hellon
    5 years ago

Senga...that's another name I can't stand but don't really know why.

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

I like Dorothy so long as she’s not in Kansas anymore.

My favorite version of Rose is Rosaura (Rose of the morning).

Angus, Bubba, Homer, Chet, Myrna, Esther, Sencha are all fine names that I’d not want my grandchildren called.

• Hellon replied to Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Nowt wrong with Angus man...good Scottish name is that!!! Do people actually call their kids Bubba??? I remember the name from Forest Gump but I thought it was a nick name.

I have a niece called Elsie...don't know what else to add except I think of Coronation Street each time I see her...