Weekly Contest Winners - October 29, 2018!

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Congrats to Darren on his rhyming tribute to his wedding day and the magnificent history and art of that sacred building. A huge amount of love to Noura, writing in memory of her father and calling out to his presence. Also highlighted is Ben's comforting Etheree on nature's rebirth (which was tied with Noura's poem). Congrats to each and every HM, not to mention Milly, who had two poems that captured the attention of our judges! Thank you to the judges for your comments on my piece, and to Hannah L for nominating it. All of your comments and support mean the world <3

Hope everyone has a great start to their week!

~MA

WINNERS:

“The waiting game” by: Poet on the Piano 10 + 7 + 7 = 24 points

“This thunderous hall” by: Darren 10 + 7 + 4 = 21 points

“Six Years” by: nourayasmine 10 + 4 = 14 points

COMMENTS:

“The waiting game” by: Poet on the Piano

“Domestic violence in United States is a form of violence that occurs within a domestic relationship. Although domestic violence often occurs between one partner or partners against another partner or partners in the context of an intimate relationship, it may also describe other household violence, such as violence by child directed toward a parent or violence between siblings who are members of the same household.” (Wikipedia)

I knew as soon as I read this poem, I had to comment. Domestic violence is a topic that is close to my heart. I was introduced to it from a young age. My parents would physically fight and we would get beaten as a matter of course. Violence then continued into adult life, where my brother would intimidate my mother with verbal abuse. It is amazing what a person can get used to – nightly rows and flying fists can become normal, but it isn’t, is it!

This poem describes all too clearly how a life/night without violence can feel strange and unsettling, because our fears are heightened, just waiting for those walls to shake/ vibrate. Sceptic, maybe, but it is understandable. The words ‘love’ and ‘violence’ should appose one another, but sadly they merge more often than not. I feel this poem has been written in such a way that the reader can relate to the many types of violence that is often hidden behind closed doors.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“To write about abuse and the aftermath it causes is hard to talk about, let alone write about. This is so elegantly written and it’s powerful to read the effects of behavior it causes in the aftermath for years to come, but it’s the strength within that shines and will overcome the tragic memories. Beautiful and sorrowful read, well done!” (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“A very well penned story revealing many emotions, as the writer tells of their trauma. Such trauma as when another displays acts of violence and strikes fear into the lives of others. The title the author chose for this piece, holds a barrage of feelings – “The waiting game” the apprehension of how this despicable person will react in any given situation. The writer shows how their nerves are when at night times, lying in bed just wanting to sleep, but the not-knowing how anything can turn out living with such uncertainty.

This keep me on the edge of my seat, almost like something that ‘Hitchcock’ would use to create a scene. A story certainly of horror and pain. Then the doubts, whether people actually ‘grow’ and change, which would be a huge trust issue in this situation. Again so well expressed poem of fear, doubt and a sheer frightening experience. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m sure that many reading will agree with me, that violence is NEVER an answer to anything ever!!” (7)

“This thunderous hall” by: Darren

“The author sets the scene with the titled tribute to a place that holds many stories for them. They take their nostalgia on a wonderful journey and paint a picture of a landmark that means so much to them. A beautifully rhymed poem, showing the ‘Church of St Nicolas of Great Yarmouth. My father was from Norfolk, and many times as a young child we spent sunny days along the coast, and memories of the ‘the pleasure beach’ and fairground. So it’s nice to share a place I have been myself. Places hold many memories in one’s heart, and the author expresses theirs so well here with marital bliss, walks and the colours they recall streaming through the windows of a huge stoned piece of historic architecture. Whatever ones faith, churches are unique in an artform of construction. So very nicely done, from the heart of a Norfolk poet.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“A very special piece in my eyes which brings out the beauty of this wonderful structure through art, something that makes it even more beautiful is the rhyming used because it makes the pace of the piece perfect in my opinion.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“I really liked this piece by Darren. To start with I wasn't sure where it was leading but it all falls into place rather nicely. I'm not massively religious but on the odd occasion that I do attended places of worship I do feel an odd sense of peace and I am always in awe of the craftsmanship that went into the building of such places. It's also true, that you can almost feel the history seeping into your bones. That Darren manages to entwine the history of such a place to his own special moment is quite brilliant.” (4)

"Six Years" by: nourayasmine

“Although this is a very sad piece the imagery within it made me ponder about it since the moment I read it, which is on of the reasons I'm giving my 10 points.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Heartbreaking, to lose a parent, loved one is tear gripping and one never loses the pain but to write with such soft elegance and expression is just powerful to the reader. This is beautiful and sorrowful poem. Just lovely.” (4)

HM’s:

“Rebirth (etheree)” by: Ben Pickard 10 + 4 = 14 points

“Holes in the Wall” by: IdTakeABulletForYou = 10 points

“A Short Tale (Naked Encounter)” by: Milly Hayward = 7 points

“The Poems Behind The Poets XlV” by: Scott Cole = 7 points

“Hold you in my heart, when we’re apart” by: Em (marmite) = 4 points

“Redemption” by: Milly Hayward = 4 points

COMMENTS:

“Rebirth (etheree)” by: Ben Pickard

“This is a beautiful Etheree, one of the prettiest I have ever read. The sorrowful message is etched with gorgeous nature tones and breathtaking visuals. Just speechless!” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Writing a good formed poem, like an Etheree, is not as easy as it seems. Starting with the ‘first’ one syllable word, this then grows syllable by syllable until there are ten in the final line. This form creates a kind of pyramid shape, which could symbolise ‘rebirth’ – a chance to live again, building a life, step by step.

The trees, like nature want to, need to nurture and so with their leaves they ‘swaddle’ like one would do with a baby. But here, the baby’s body is ‘ruined’. I have no words for how this part made me feel.

Rivers run to the sea, they cleanse away pain; pain from the ultimate loss, maybe? Sawdust soul made me think of ashes being carried by the river along to the East, to another rising sun. Another chance, maybe? As the sun wakes another land, the blackbird rises and rejoices a new day, a new life where freedom is forever.” (4)

“Holes in the Wall” by: IdTakeABulletForYou

“This work really catches the true nature of anger and rage. I absolutely understand the desire if not need to lash out even if it's at something inanimate. The release is brief and the damage can be extensive and will often leave one regretting their actions. A fantastically well rhymed piece that is most worthy of my vote. Well done.” (10)

“A Short Tale (Naked Encounter)” by: Milly Hayward

“This write from Milly made me laugh. It was well told and written with pleasing rhyme, which made me smile and laugh.

For those who have not read it, it is a story about a poor man who is mugged of his clothes, bound and then abandoned. He is discovered by a damsel who then runs when he decides to then chase her. Panicking, she sprays her mace only to discover he was trying to thank her with a flower. Perhaps, the funniest line was the ending couplet:
    “Was gonna thank you for the hat
    said he waving, his little sprat” (7)

“The Poems Behind The Poets XlV” by: Scott Cole

“This is a true work of class by Scott. He references so many works of others by not simply sticking title behind title or a line behind another, but by weaving them together with his own special twist. What he has created in this process is something quite special and lovely. I suspect many who read this will feel rather honored and humbled when they see extracts of their own works within. Genius.” (7)

“Hold you in my heart, when we’re apart” by: Em (marmite)

“I just really enjoyed reading this piece. Although short in content, I like the way the author has written their poem. The style just kept me reading in one breath, and what I liked most is how the story turned so quickly, in such few lines. A piece where the author tells of how dark and bad their life once was, to a lovely twist of how two hearts bind together in strength. A nice little read. Well done.” (4)

“Redemption” by: Milly Hayward

“I liked this piece for its fast pace as it reminded me of when my anxiety hit, which is usually when I'm not feeling my best therefore have my barriers down somewhat. But this piece brought hope that after ‘every storm there's a rainbow’ or at least that's what we tell ourselves to get through those bad patches.” (4)

• Ben Pickard

First off, may I just say I am genuinely glad that Noura's heartfelt piece for her father beat me in the tiebreak; it gave me goosebumps as I read it and deserves the front page.
    Well done, too, MA and Darren, congratulations to all those mentioned and a huge thank you to the judges for their time and effort this term.

Ben

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congrats to Noura, MA & Darren. Nice work judges & good work to the HMs.
    Thanks, MA for hosting.

This is your last week judging, folks, although NO ONE has yet to volunteer.

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! As always wonderful writing from all. Thank you Mary Anne for hosting and always judges. Your time, efforts and making those hard choices, hats off to you all!

• mossgirl19
    5 years ago

Congrats, everyone!!! Thank you to our host and judges!

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

Congratulations everyone and thank you judges for your time you haven't half had it bad this term..

Thank you for whoever nominated my poem, I can't remember who it was so apologies, and a heartfelt thank you to the judge for their vote because this is one of those pieces that means alot :)

• Milly Hayward
    5 years ago

Congratulations to this weeks winners and the HMs. Huge thanks to the judges who freely give their time each week who make this competition possible and to Mary Anne for hosting. A personal thanks to the judges who left such lovely comments about my poems. Really appreciated more than you know. Best wishes Milly x

• Darren

Wow

thanks Judges, not only do I get a Win, I share the front page with Noura and MA.
    Thanks Ben for the nomination
    well chuffed, thanks to everyone involved this week.
    congrats all round.

ps
    The church is in my Avatar <-----------------

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

A super week of poetry. Excellent work all round, people.

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for the winners and HMs
    Grateful to the judges for showering so much love on all of us.
    Thanks to our hardworking Moderators and to all the beautiful members for their time to read, comment and obviously nomination.
    Much love for pnq family..

S