Weekly Contest Results, 5 November 2018

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Weekly Contest Results, 5 November 2018

The Ladies of PnQ are back! Rania and Andrea came close to sweeping the judges this week garnering between them 7 out of 15 votes, 55 of 105 points. How did they do it? Poems about the poetic experience itself! Andrea draws the reader to her innermost purpose of expression in writing her poetry; Rania enfolds the reader on her own experience in reading poetry and how deeply it affects her. Congrats to both!

[PS: Thanks to the judge for the comment on True Lies and to Michael (Mr. Darcy) for nominating it.]
    [PPS: One judge had a glitch in sending in comments. I'll add them upon getting them.]
    [EDIT: all comments are now in place. Thanks for your patience.]

I’m the Poem by Maple Tree Points: 10+10= 20
    Poetry Gust by Rania Moallem Points: 7+10= 17
    Dark feathers by Maple tree Points: 7+4= 11
    Shrink my Heart by Mark Points: 10
    Springs in our Blooms by Bob Gallo Points: 10
    Is it Wrong by CJ Maleney Points: 7
    Low bridge by Rania Moallem Points: 7
    The Vicissitudes Of Life by Vince Gullaci Points: 7
    Grandfather’s Broken Sphere by Ben Pickard Points: 4
    Those flames that flicker by Scott Cole Points: 4
    True Lies (Vingt et Un) by Larry Chamberlin Points: 4
    What lost love can do by Michael Points: 4

I’m the Poem by Maple Tree Points: 10
    This was fantastic. Beautifully written and the overall flow was flawless. Poetry is a huge outlet, and one in which you can create something so beautiful even in the darkest times of your life. Awesome job

~~~~~~~
    I’m the Poem by Maple Tree Points: 10
    A powerful write that encompasses the struggles endured during depression, “I’m the Poem” brings together the actions, the feelings, and the thoughts of a person struggling with depression- relatable and honest with every word. The personification of poetry into a person is a beautiful tool used to make the reader aware that the poetry created by Maple Tree is conceived by a struggle within, as pretty as they may be. The second verse particularly struck a chord with me, its words and sentiments revealing that the happiest, most laughter-filled people oft are the ones with the pain-filled hearts and the tears you can’t/won’t see. Wonderful write.

Poetry Gust by Rania Moallem Points: 7
    This poem exemplifies the moment you are hit with poetic inspiration, the painful and exhilarating feeling that both lights up your soul and tears you apart. Rania has done a magnificent job at setting the scene in the first verse, and aptly describing the inspiration as a “cold gust of poetry” that directly correlates to the verse before. The fear of losing that train of thought, losing that inspiration, is embodied in the phrase “hope strangled me”, and describing paper as “the dying trees” is a pure stroke of genius. The autumn/winter metaphors for writing keep the setting, allowing you to feel that chill and the last three verses really hit home… all the words, the feelings that go through your head as you pour the right ones onto the page, they are many and they take their toll.

~~~~~~~
    Poetry Gust by Rania Moallem Points: 10
    How the muse does rile the poetic soul. Instead of quiet reverie your appreciation of the agony and sometimes despair of other poets resonates deep withi your heart. Only a gifted poet can feel this deeply about other poets' works.

Dark feathers by Maple Tree Points: 7
    I love a simple poem, Especially one that can say so much with so little written. Of all the pieces this week, this one struck a nerve. This is the one I remembered and kept going back to. As you read you can picture the crow, you have the feeling of being watched. A simple comfort blanket of the coffee does nothing against that feeling of dread painted by the crow imagery. We are all guilty of rambling to pad out our poetry sometimes, me more than most. This piece is a good example of stripping back the words that aren't required without affecting the tone. 7 points

~~~~~~~
    Dark Feathers by Maple Tree Points: 4
    Even though you ignore the "darkest hour" of the crow its foreboding presence remains. Your bitterness comes from your own reaction to events outside yourself, although you provide metaphors in the crow and the coffee.

Shrink my Heart by Mark Points: 10
    You cant help but feel the pain and anguish when reading this piece.
    It has very vivid and powerful imagery throughout. I love how the poet has cleverly used alternative ways of describing the word 'heart' some very inventive. I'm not usually much of a fan of punctuation, however with this piece it works and is as important as the word choice used throughout. A very descriptive and emotional write that gets my 10 points this week.

Springs in our Blooms by Bob Gallo Points: 10
    Typing this comment on my mobile phone, so I won't be able to elaborate on how amazing this poem is. The play on words, rhymes, emotions. I like everything about it. Especially, the first stanza. It caught my attention right away. Some parts were a bit confusing to me, like "not suffocating in the past sandals of scandals", and "like a rocking fantasy on a fancy rocking chair". So if the poet can explain what they meant, I'd really appreciate it. Anyway, great poem. Keep writing.

Is it Wrong by CJ Maleney Points: 7
    The flow of this poem was perfect. I liked how you added near the end that you can’t love another without loving yourself after going into the struggles of finding love with others. Great work!

Low bridge by Rania Moallem Points: 7
    How you are is how the world is, at least your world. Sometimes the responsibility for all that depends on you is so great that experiencing your own emotions deeply can have unwanted effects far outside yourself. Perhaps, too, there is recognition that you are adding to these responsibilities by taking on a partner and it daunts you. Please, understand that such a partner is more than willing to accept your emotions and will help raise the bridge rather than make you halt at their obstruction.

The Vicissitudes Of Life by Vince Gullaci Points: 7
    I'm in general a big fan of your poetry, and this is such a mind-blowing, little piece. You try to protect yourself and you do that by hiding the truth of it, by being someone else. That's what I got from it. Keep writing.

Grandfather’s Broken Sphere by Ben Pickard Points: 4
    Perfect word choices and haunting sentiments make up yet another masterpiece from Ben, as this time he delves into a raw and brutally honest piece about his grandfather’s struggle in living without his other half. Starting off with the truth, Ben weaves the facts of his grandfather’s passing along with his understanding of why he passed: his wife had gone but a week before him. The tribute to the relationship his grandfather and grandmother had, a circle unadulterated, with the last verse constructed so that the reader understands that, in his grandfather’s eyes, there was no living without his other half. Such absence makes the heart grow weak. As hard as that surely is for Ben, it is comforting to know that the circle is complete as they are surely together once more.

True Lies (Vingt et Un) by Larry Chamberlin Points: 4
    How true and deep is that. Amongst the lies of reality, poetry always speaks of truth. I really love this short and powerful piece.

Those flames that flicker by Scott Cole Points: 4
    Just a quick congrats to Scott who has 4 poems nominated this week. This was my favourite of his because of the message. I think it is important we never forget the sacrifice of all of our fallen. This is a cleverly written emotional piece that takes the simple analogy of a flickering candle and warms the heart as we read and remember those who fell. 4 points

What lost love can do by Michael Points: 4
    The concept of this is what caught my attention and kept my eyes on the page and the words running through my head.
    I don’t know why, but In a sense this reminds me of how my mother sometimes tells me things and says it’s god speaking through her. Weird how it can be the same way for someone who becomes such a huge part of you that half of you becomes them.

• Sunshine
    5 years ago

You rock it when you host it God P. Thank you for your overwhelming introduction.

I am overjoyed to see my name next to my sweet Maple <3 her emotions are everywhere on the front page.

I thank the judges for their thorough feedback and those who nominated both poems. Thank you for your encouragement really. :)

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Well done ladies. And well done to all HM'S and those nominated.

Some fantastic work this week.

Megga thanks to the judge who voted on mine and thanks to Em for nominating it.

Finally as always big respect to all judges and moderators for your efforts.

Regards.

Craig

• ddavidd
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Thank you Liz, thank you host, and also thank you judges. I appreciate the comment and explain the question later. :) :)

• Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

Congrats All! <3

• naaz
    5 years ago

Congratulations!

Love you all!

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Ladies. Ladies, ladies...hugs congratulations to you both for your front page wins. Well deserved! Also, congrats to all the HM's!
    Stellar writes all around. Larry, thank you for hosting and judges for your time, efforts and making those difficult choices.

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Andrea, you should at least have the grace and good modesty to be embarrassed! Seriously,wonderful writes and Rania, your winning poem is superb.
    Well done, all, and thank you to the judge for your comment which genuinely moved me.

Take care,

Ben

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for the winners and HMs
    Grateful to the judges for showering so much love on all of us.
    Thanks to our hardworking Moderators and to all the beautiful members for their time to read, comment and obviously nomination.
    Much love for pnq family..

S

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

All comments have been added. Thanks for your patience, Rania and Andrea.

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

Ive taken my time to comment here because to be honest its a bit awkward winning two spots on the front page, I know a ton of beautiful poems were nominated and Here I am splashed on the front.. lol

I adore Nana, and to be on front with her is a true honor. Thank you to the judges for all of the lovely comments. Both poems are my true gut feelings of these past few months and it makes me tear up to have them highlighted.

Thank you to everyone for all you do with this contest and this site- Hugs to all of you