Weekly Contest Winners - December 3, 2018

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

EDIT**sorry Rania here**

Hello everyone! Hope you are all good on this 1st week of December! I will keep it short and leave you with the results. Andrea, Michael and Bob will grace the front page for this week, as all of you others, will charm readers with your finest poetry. Thank you judges for your time. Kindly note that there are 3 poems without comments, I will add them once they are received. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

~~~~~~~~~~~~COMMENTS and VOTES ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ghosts of my Ancestors” by: Maple Tree 10 + 7

This poem ticks many boxes. I adore the language she chooses in this journey of reflection and mourning. The ending is very powerful and emotive, and it takes a few reads to fully appreciate the word choice. This is obviously a poem close to the poet, and I love the line ‘I’ll never give thanks to abandonment.’ A powerful sentence hanging alone; a big punch to the gut, especially at this time of year. A beautiful write. (10)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The metaphorical language of this poem is truly stunning to behold; it has a sort of ominous feel to it, which is perfect for the poem’s theme of ghosts; even though, how I understood the poem, these ghosts are not ones of the past, but living ones in the present. It seems Maple Tree writes about the disintegration of a family, a mixture of reality interwoven with the darkness in her own head. I truly love how she seems to take ownership of the experience, it being made into a life lesson toward the end. Spectacularly dark write. (7)

A winters Romance by Micheal 10 + 4 = 14 points

Micheal always has a way of drawing you in when he tells his tales in poetry form.
    I loved the first full stanza, the images conjured of her dancing through autumn, converting it into winter. There is a feeling of cold throughout the remainder of the poem through clever word choice.
    We are taken on the journey with him, I felt I was gazing out of the same window. (10)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This poet always puts a lot of thought into his poetry and I love the rich imagery here.

‘Swooning the countryside
    with a scintillating glow;
    she weaves her winter dress
    through the forest rubbing
    shoulders with mighty evergreens’

Absolutely delightful word choice and flow. A fitting winter’s love tale, ripe with gorgeous word play. Please capitalise the title though Michael! (4)

“Absolute Me” by: Bob Gallo 7 + 4 = 11 points

This poem was very unique, and it was nice to read something a little different. The speech drives the narrative of the poem, and whilst it is not a poem that is rich in imagery, it is a brave and meaningful poem about a topic we can all relate to: addiction. The final part is wonderful and abstract. (7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This poem is great is so many ways. It’s filled with emotion that you have to look harder to find but it’s there. We as people have a tendency to turn towards alcohol to drown out our demons, but it usually can becoming one instead. (4)

Day one by Jamie 10 points

Most days start off normal, even the critical ones: days such as this one chronicled by Jamie in “Day One” seem normal to the untrained eye. It is one of the hardest days of an addicts life, knowing at once the shame and the freedom in their addiction, and setting upon themselves to begin an adventure toward sobriety that is one of the most difficult times in someone’s life. The last two lines really make this poem so powerful, fitting the past, the present, and the future snugly in one couplet. It helps elude to the fact that there are always two people in an addict’s life: the addict and the victim. They share that body like roommates, and with one under the influence in control, the victim is often blamed for actions that they would never have done otherwise. It is a truth I have not seen spoken until now, and this poem is all the more beautiful because of it. (10)

On that day Ya Na 10 points

This piece is filled with such emotion and imagery. It flows with ease and captures the readers attention quickly. Keep up the good work!

For the girl by Prince 10 points

What an exquisite chain, Prince. Beautiful twist and beautiful wording. Captivating to say, the least.

For joy by the Prince 7 points

Mesmerised. This writer left me mesmerised with his series. The imagery is unbelievably powerful.
    I could see the whole scene and the emotions were transferred deep into my heart. Powerful piece.

Pt. 2 (golden eye) Am 7 points

The story you’re telling in this poem is one of strength and hardship, overcoming obstacles. It is true that we need light to guide us, as sometimes the dark can be dangerously overbearing and suffocating.
    Great work with this.

Swan (acrostic) by Stormingdance Jessica 7 points

I love a short poem, I love an acrostic. These are useful to kickstart the muse, especially when the dreaded block rears its head. This acrostic is brilliant. There was a risk with choosing such a small subject that the poem would seem unfinished. Yet with the great word choice and fantatstic imagery this poem hits the mark.

Hell in Ellsworth by Jamie 4 points

It felt as if this poem spoke directly to me, akin feelings similar to that which I’ve shared having grown up in a Catholic environment myself, with hypocrisy and hate on full display; albeit, guised by simple visual trickery and hymns of love. I think it truly exemplifies the common truths of religion, and it is a story of a fallout written in a very forward, simplistic, and well-worded manner.

Images by Hellon 4 points

A unique poem that connects in-depth with the inner character of the reader. I think it is a special-intriguing poem that deserves to be highlighted.

A blistered appeal by Ben Pickard 4 points

Another one of Bens poems, where just one read through isn't good enough. You have to dissect, re-read and draw your own conclusions. Intelligently written, nice pace and flow. Plus coupled with beautiful imagery. This poem deserves an HM at least so gets my 4 points

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for the winners and HMs
    Grateful to the judges for showering so much love on all of us.
    Thanks to our hardworking Moderators and to all the beautiful members for their time to read, comment and obviously nomination.
    Much love for pnq family..

S

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congrats to the front page winners and to the HMs. Thanks, judges, for your work and attentiveness. Thank you, Rania, for hosting.

• D.
    5 years ago

Congratulations guys! Thank you for the HMs, and thank you judges as ever. Well done :)

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi all :)

Congratulations to Andrea and Bob ned HMs awarded. Thank you to the judges for their given time week in week out, and to the judges who voted and commented on my poem, much appreciated :)
    Thank you to the poet who nominated my poem

Hope everyone is well, much love
    M :)x

• ddavidd
    5 years ago

Thanks guys

• Hellon
    5 years ago

Congrats to the winners and HMS..thanks judges and thank Nana for the nomination :)

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

Congratulations all

• Maple Tree

Congratulations to Bob and Michael, it makes me smile to be on the front page with both of you <3

Thank you to Nana and all the mods and judges for all you do :-)

Congratulations to the HM's

Thank you judges for your heartfelt and wonderful comments, makes my heart melt!

hugs to all <3

• Darren
    5 years ago

congrats all round ;-)

• Poet on the Piano

Congrats to all winners and HM's! Thank you to our judges and to Rania, for hosting :)

• naaz replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Hi, Rania, thanks for hosting this week.

Congratulations to everyone.

Moderators, judges thanks to all of you.

Love you all!

Enjoy!

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congrats all!