clubs?

• Abed
    5 years ago

I remember we used to have clubs, lol and it was fun because we used to compete against other clubs and chat in the club on different subjects . Is that still available because I couldn't find a link for that?

• D. replied to Abed
    5 years ago

I miss that too! Unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough active people anymore...just a guess :/

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

When Janis switched PnQ to this new site he did not provide for all the capabilities we had in the old site.
    About 18 months ago he promised to be back in 30 days to finish the job.

We have a to do list for him if he ever comes back. It is copied here in the order of priority as agreed by members in prior threads.

- GET THE CLUBS BACK TO FULL STATUS

- Add a comment section to the three complaint areas in mod tools so a mod can apprise the other mods of action pending such as waiting for response to email

- fix contest issues - let judges vote for poems they nominated - add criteria of longevity to gain senior member status (if they've been here THAT long ...)

- Fix the collaboration links on posted poems

- Reinstate the search tool for discussion forums.

- reinsert the "visited" count on poems

- a timestamp on the forum entries & a clock on the site showing PnQ time

- Add user name recovery to password recovery feature

- Add a 'J' reward for judging. Pink for once a judge, blue for twice, gold three and platinum 4 times or more.

- Fix poem count glitch (new members can post multiple poems but will either be credited for 0 or 1)

- Provide for Club Managers to be able to transfer their powers to another when they leave a club. When a club manager quits & then comes back, allow her to regain her manager status. On the same note, if a club manager leaves without transferring powers, allow for a way that the mods can transfer these powers to a member selected by the club.

- Streamline the discussion forums to Poetry, General, Contests and Feedback. ALT: Merge forums: - all 4 under poetry talk merged into "Everything Poetry" (no one really looks for poems, and no one really utilizes poetry websites & contests" - "meet the community members" & "Members' Message forum" merged into "Members Forum" (the former isn't used much anymore" - "Love and Romance" & "Friendship" & "Fun and Humor" merged into "Light hearted talks"? (something along those lines)" - "Sadness & Depression" renamed to "Support forum" & "other" forum merged into members forum" (again not used much).

- "Previous" and "next" buttons to maneuver through a list of poems (such as your own poems, those of another, contest nominations, etc.)

- ability to download your entire profile, poems, PMs, list of friends & favorites, your topics, etc a'la facebook:

- Automatic warning to people who send out the same message to multiple members s/he has not contacted before (anti-spam).

- Change the login home page back to new activity from my favourites

- restore "newest-post-first" format for threads

- Add award for "most nominated wins" for the person(s) nominating a winning poem to give people more reason to be reading poetry as opposed to just posting it:

1? Nominated Win = Bronze “N” Award; 5? Nominated Wins = Silver; 20? Nominated Wins = Gold; 50? Nominated Wins = Platinum

- Add 'discard poem' and 'shortlist poem' tools for judges to help sort through the poems.

- Add an 'Are you sure you want to vote for this poem?' Message to help avoid accidental votes being cast by a weekly contest judge

- Get a notification if someone replies to your comment, your post, or praises your comment. (It makes your account feel more active and encourages participation. )

- Allow a judge a limited ability to change his vote on a poem (both to correct mistakes & allow for editing improvements).

- implement a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get editor) i.e tinymce to allow poets to have more control over formatting of poem, or at the minimum allow whitespace as valid characters, the ability to bold and italicize words as a compromise (can use markdown for that) see https://simplemde.com/

- Set up a "notice button" when a new message arrives while you're on-line.

- Allow editing of Thread titles by mods and club thread titles by club manager.

- Ability to see who has marked which of your poems as their favorites.

- Ability to see who has nominated one of your poems for the weekly.

- Make the Front Page Quotes display change up regularly. perhaps the most liked recent quotes

- Sign out automatically after a period of inactivity (~ 1/2 hour)

- Dim the mass Message after reading + get notification there is a mass message

- set up a Favorite Comments tab on the right by Favorite Poems

- Give the Mods some ability to create new icons recognizing poems &/or members - can require multiple mod approval.

- Allow the initial letter of a poem to be lower case

- A quote function on the forums would be nice.

- Praised comments: Poets who got their comments praised be able to view them.

• Darren
    5 years ago

Imagine if all of this was done!

I prefer to think of Pnq as one big club now.
    I was active in clubs, then I went out on my own.

Before the site switchover I remember a lot of the clubs becoming inactive, sometimes nobody posted anything in any club for a week or more, some were over a month.
    I think Janis needs to do all of above and change the look of this tired and bland site. It doesn't need to be a facebook copy, but could do with with a makeover.

• Abed replied to Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Ah ok, thanks Larry

• Jamie replied to Darren
    5 years ago

Yes, but I don't believe it would get people to comment on poems. That is the real issue imo.