2019-02-11, Weekly Contest Results

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Acceptance can take varied forms. It is often like the result of MaryAnn's bittersweet discovery that the lover she left may have been the best she will ever find, in “What Grows In My Garden.” Again, it could be the acceptance by Meena in “Till you conquer” of whatever personal sacrifice is required to provide unconditional support and love to a child. You must even include the cautionary syntuit “you want more” from Michael (Mr Darcy) against seeking acceptance from others at the cost of losing your own values.
    The judges certainly accepted the beauty, strength and wisdom of these three in putting them each on the front page this week.

Front Page Winners
    What grows in my garden by Poet on the Piano 4+7+10= 21 points
    Till you conquer by Meena Krish 7+10= 17 points
    You want more - Syntuit by Mr. Darcy 4+4+7= 15 points

Honorably Mentioned
    The Tragedy of Happiness by Kitty Cat Lady 4+10= 14 points
    A mouth full of feathers (Etheree) by Ben Pickard 10 points
    Black Butterfly by Bob Gallo 10 points
    A Fathers Pledge (Rondeau) by Michael 7 points
    Palmistry by Daniel 7 points
    Shallow Existence by Rusty Soul 4 points

What grows in my garden by Poet on the Piano 4 points
    Mary Anne has opened up to all of us with this beautifully bittersweet poem. This person she writes of, this past love, was her everything. That one person that knows you and all that's inside just by being near you. Someone who you thought would always be in your life but alas has moved on and now you are more strangers than previous lovers. She writes about maturing and realizing the world is bigger than this love they had, but it still hurts and the longing is still there and her words are so beautifully put.

~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~

What grows in my garden. by Poet on the Piano 7 points
    This is one of those pieces that's almost too personal to comment too much on. It is a story of lost love and unrequited love which are by no means new subjects, but equally important and devastating every single time and for every single person.
    "...I grew pettiness like a flower" is one of many favourite lines here but, as above, I won't over-analyse this heart-wrenching piece of poetry; it's meaning is clear and it's feeling is clearly genuine. Excellent.

~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~

What grows in my garden by Poet on the Piano 10 Points
    I found this poem Far more desirable than any other. It has quenched the thirst of my soul. There are no waves of uncertainty as I can see it crossing the oceans of nomination to reach the front page. Full points for imaginary. An exceptional write

Till you conquer by Meena Krish 10 points
    There seems to a couple of themes running through these poetic halls at present: self worth and parental responsibility. Meena writes of the latter here and does so stirringly well; this is like a call to arms for parents everywhere and really hits home. Simply done but marvellously effective.

~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~

Till you conquer by Meena Krish 7 points
    A very dedicated poem for a family, wonderful lines throughout.

you want more...(syntuit) by Mr. Darcy 4 points
    Yes, you can eat from that table as long and as greedily as you like, but you will never get full up. You will just want more and more, like a drug that slowly consumes all that's good in you but never fills the void. A fine little lesson here in three simple lines, proving it really is quality not quantity...especially at the 'acceptance table'.

~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~

You want more- Syntuit by Mr. Darcy 7 points
    In three lines Mr. Darcy has packed a punch. We all want acceptance, we crave it. When we don't get the feeling of fulfillment we are disappointed. We rail at ourselves in what we are doing wrong. We go out of our way and sometimes play the fool all to be accepted. We change who we truly are, perhaps hating ourselves in the process just to be part of a certain group. Even then when we are accepted, for many it still isn't enough. This leads us down a rabbit hole of self destruction and bad choices. Human nature can be so damaging, we become enemies of our own making.

~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~

you want more... (syntuit) by Mr. Darcy 4 Points
    I accept it. I am a greedy person and I want more of good poetry to fill the hole. Thanks for writing and sharing your thoughts and for helping my soul to recover.

The Tragedy of Happiness by Kitty Cat Lady 10 points
    Its a sad truth that for most people creativity is often only inspired by strife. Kitty Kat has managed to dispel this thought for her at least in this great little poem that shows that happiness for her does
    not affect her creative muse. The flow is in keeping with the subject and the rhyming superb and I love in particular that little gem of humour slipped into the last stanza followed by the final two lines that mislead in the best possible way "I'm only upset that my inspiration insists, On only appearing in misery, not bliss"

~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~

The tragedy of happiness by Kitty cat lady 4 points
    It seems to be a paradox, wanting misery instead of happiness, but, in truth, longing for bliss.

A mouth full of feathers (Etheree) by Ben Pickard 10 points
    Another Masterpiece!

Black Butterfly by Bob Gallo 10 points
    This visually beautiful poem that Bob writes after the death of his father resonated a lot for me. His words show the love he has for his dad and how he will always walk with him. His world will forever be colored by his loss and his memory will continue to show itself in everyday things. Although in mourning, his words brought comfort knowing that although this person is physically gone he is still very much there.

A Fathers Pledge (Rondeau) by Michael 7 points
    For a child the love, trust and reliance on their parents is paramount yet for far too many not always given. This fathers love for his child bursts out like the brightest of lights and is inspiring. The child that has a father like this is a very lucky child. The Rondeau form is not easy to do but Michael has produced a heart warming inspiring poem that gives voice to the dreams of what is the perfect promise from a Dad.

Palmistry by Daniel 7 Points
    To the man whose pen etched words upon the pages of my heart and filled it with lagoons of colors.

Shallow Existence by Rusty Soul 4 points
    I think that that almost everyone at some point in their life feels a little out of place or unsure of where they are supposed to be. That moment where the inner soul has a sense of being lost. For some it is a tiny blip that is barely acknowledged, for most a handful of social experiences but for others it can be something that they carry with them for a much longer period.

• Brenda
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Stellar writing all around! Larry thank you for hosting and all the judges for your time and choices.

• Milly Hayward
    5 years ago

Congratulations to this weeks winners and HMs. Thanks to Larry for coordonating and to this weeks judges. Some really superb poetry being nominated each week so no easy task. Milly x

• D.
    5 years ago

Congratulations everyone. :) Thank you for the nomination, and comment mystery judge!

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HMs and nominees this week.
    Thanks so much to the judges for my HM and the lovely comments, and for your time each week x
    =^.^=

• Star
    5 years ago

Really beautiful poetry have been highlighted this week, congratulations everyone :)

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Thank you to Larry for another superb introduction and to the judges who gave up their time for us. Congratulations to all winners and HM's. I feel this week, I stole a place from more than a few worthy winners. Still, in keeping with the theme, I accept. ;oP

• Poet on the Piano

Thank you to Larry and the judges. Congrats to Meena and Mr. Darcy, you both are incredible! And congrats to each and every Hm. I feel so grateful and humbled that I can share so many personal things that are on my heart and mind... and that PnQ is always one of the first places I can turn to and truly be honest, without holding back, without regrets.

Love you all!

• Ben Pickard replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Well done everybody; some wonderful work across the board this week. Thank you to the judge who felt my etheree worthy of their 10.

All the best, everyone.

• Meena Krish replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Congrats to MA & Mr Darcy and all those
    who received a HM.
    Thank you for the nomination Brenda
    Thank you judges for the comments and
    for your valuable time....and thank
    you Sir L for the lovely introduction and for
    hosting....thank you everyone.

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi All :)

Congratulations to all the poets on the front page this week, and to all HMs awarded.

Thank you to the judges for their time, to make this competition what it is. thank you to the judge for my HM and lovely comments.
    Thank you to poets who nominated my poems, much appreciated

Much love, M :)x

• naaz
    5 years ago

Congratulations to everyone.

Moderators, judges, poets, thanks to all of you for making it possible.

For creating another wonderful week.

Love you all!

• ddavidd

Thanks to the judges and to the host. Thanks again to Mark for nominating