Ways to end writer's block.

• Bryce Ellner
    19 years ago

I know everybody has trouble with this sometime and if you haven't had the privelege yet, then don't worry, your time will come, but I was just wondering what are some good techniques to ending writer's block. I get it alot and I was just wanting to see if anybody know how to kill it off. Thanks for anybody that can help.

• PnQ Mod Account
    19 years ago

there have been many posts on writer's block, lost inspiration, etc... but since it happens to everyone sometimes... and to lots of people A LOT of times...it never hurts to repeat the topic....

The main thing is... relax... don't force a poem out. I have been in situations where I NEEDED to write a poem (schoolwork or whatever)...and in that situation, if I couldn't write, I would lean back in my chair (nice high back office chair) and close my eyes... and starting with my toes... flex and release every muscle in my body up to my head... after that...just let your arms hang down to your side.... and relax....and think about the topic about which you are writing... and then just jot down any thought that comes into your head.....

Other things I do when I can't write is to work on my "Writing Noetbook" I have different "English-class-type" exercises I do that get my creative juices flowing again....

• Cantchangeme
    19 years ago

get a piece of paper and just write all your feelings on a bit of paper then look at them, or listen to some music, Always helps me

• vanessarrr
    19 years ago

i can't do a poem when i can't. it's like i always have THE "writer's block". like Ann Marie said, i can't force it out. my poems come out when my mind feels like it. i'm really lucky when i make a descent poem for a project. that's why i post some here:)

sometimes i watch a movie and i get inspired. music doesn't always work as it tempts me to kind of "copy" the meaning of the song or even the words. reading a good book is a plus. i rely on my dreams also. isn't that weird?

• Gracie Jo
    19 years ago

When I have writer's block I try to do something fun or whatever and then I write about it. Or I read some of my old poems and see how my writing has matured, for some reason that helps me. But if after doing everything and I still can't write anything, I don't worry about it. If you make yourself write something, chances are it won't turn out that great. But if you wait until your heart really wants to let certain emotions out on paper.. it will be a masterpiece =] good luck!

~Grace

• brin macnamara
    19 years ago

I heard a poet talking on Irish Radio the other day about writer's block & writing poems. Hes said that he always(everywhere) carries a note pad around with him and jots down thought and feelings as they come into his head. He said that eventually you develop a dialogue with your thoughts and feelings and are able to string words/feelings together.
    So I've begun to do that-to soon to tell if it works yet.

Brin

• Gracie Jo
    19 years ago

Hmm.. that sounds like an excellent idea! I think I may start doing that =] Thanks for the idea!

~Grace