Are you naturally talented at Writing Poetry?

• Tabitha
    16 years ago

Are you naturally talented at Writing Poetry? and have you ever had dry spells where you could'nt think of anything to write? Lastly, How do you get better?

I love writing poetry, but sometimes nothing seems to fit right, I seriously need a stratagy to get better. Because there's always room for improvement right?

• Beautiful Chaos
    16 years ago

I don't know, I guess it comes naturally, I have always enjoyed writing, whether it be poetry or short stories. I've had dry moments and times when nothing seemed to fit. You just pause and come back to it, you can't really force it. YOu improve by writing. Go back to your old work and reread it, I often find that if I go back after a couple of months and read through my work, I have an easier time improving on it. It is like refreshing.

• stillmomsgirl
    16 years ago

I would definitely say that I have had dry spells. I went an entire summer without writing a single poem but lately ive been writing almost one a day

• Cheyanne
    16 years ago

Arggg i hate when i get dry spells....theres times when i could write a whole poem without even pausing...then theres those times when i have so much in my mind the words just don't come together .....when that happens i usually just take a break and go back to it when my minds more focused on one thing rather then a thousand things....i find it the easiest to write when im inspired by something or someone ...or when i get hurt

• Pete
    16 years ago

Good Lord, I hate dry spells!!

I have dry spells all the time, I think even the best writers struggle at some point (or at least I hope they do). I think I have a certain amount of natural ability, you have to have some ability and inclination to write.
    As Chaos said above, I tend to re-read alot of my older work and edit it too. I keep all my older work in note-pads locked away in a box, so that I can pull on any inspiration from them when I may need it.

~Pete.

• Tabitha
    16 years ago

Alright you guys/gals! thanx for the tip. ill try it!

• Tabitha
    16 years ago

Yes that helps alot. thanx for the tip

• XBroKenXyetXHeReX
    16 years ago

I don't really know...I have wrote my whole life so far...so I guess it comes naturally...but ya of corse sometime it take me time to think of something to write.....usually that's why I wait until something just comes to me...

• Normal is the Watchword
    16 years ago

I think it comes naturally for me. At times I have talked to people who wanted to hear a story and I'll pick whatever comes out of my mind and they start wanting more and asking why this or what happens then.

But every gift can have a curse to it. While most people suffer writer's block I get frustrated not at not having ideas but at times having too much or being told I don't sound like a teen.

Writers block isn't a stopping point, it's a chance to find yourself and grow with it.

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

Writing comes naturally to me, but when I have a dry spell...it lasts FOREVER.

Grr!

• Teria
    16 years ago

Honestly, I think most know if they're talented or not.
    Britt knows, how could she not. (: Lol.

I know writing comes naturally to me, and I'm pretty good at it. Poems surely aren't my forte, but I do love writing them just as well as stories and all that.

• Christina
    16 years ago

I never really have a problem writing a poem....but its prolly cuz i only rite when i feel sad or im rele happy....or i see sumone else in pain....i try to rite a poem that could help them....so no i nvr have dry spells....

• MysticBlood
    16 years ago

Well, my mother had told me once that I had a great talent. My cousin is also great in writing poems, though, she stopped, so I think it's a natural gift.
    Although, I don't rely on that too much. I try my best to improve my writing by reading more books to enhace my vocabulary and letting a trusted friend read it for me since she's always be honest about what she says.
    I also try my best to pay more attention to the English class coz it somehow helps..

• CY GINDLE
    16 years ago

Naaaa i think that if i had a normal life and no problem with addiction i would have any thing to
    write about

• Rusheena
    16 years ago

When I first started writing, I didn't even know that I could; it just came out of me that way. Yes, it comes natrually, but I always have dry spells for about 2 months. But other times, when I'm on a role, I can write up to 3 poems a day without thinking of a title or theme. I'm in one of my dry spells now, and I wish that I had a stratagy to snap out of it.

• IdTakeABulletForYou
    16 years ago

Yes, it is natural. Your talent comes from the brain, and your brain is made up of hereditary interests, and poetry is mainly an interest.

• ASPHYXIATED
    16 years ago

Yeah, It's natural not forced.
    But that doesn't mean I don't get "writers block" at certain times in my life.
    Now is a perfect example.
    If I wrote something it would seem forced.

My emotions are under control, therefore my "natural instinct" for poetry isn't working. :P

• Viola
    16 years ago

I started writing poetry as a way of getting out feelings that I wasn't willing to share with another person but that I desperately needed to get out somehow. Poetry for me is an amazing outlet of all the confused thoughts that go on inside my head. So when I wirte I don't have to sit there for hours and think about it, it just comes to me. Am I talented? Well, I don't know. I believe anyone can write poetry if they tried, it just that different people write poetry at different levels. Some is better than others. Ofcourse, this is not to say that it doesn't hold the same value. I think even what some might consider a "bad" poem could in fact mean a lot to the person who wrote it and therefore to them it's a meaningful and a good poem. I don't like to judge art because I think the level you appoint to a piece of art is very much connected with how each individual thinks and what life experiences they have gone through. To sum this whole thing up people are different and the same poem could mean everything to one person and be nothing to another.

I don't think you have to force poetry. In my opinion, it should be something that just comes. That's the way it will always be for me. Afterall, if something is not comming to me it's actually a good thing because I tend to write a lot when I'm sad and hurt.

I realise I keep talking and talking here..so I'll stop. Getting writer's block does not mean you're not talented.

--Viola

• ALEX
    16 years ago

See... some of my best poems are the ones that took ages to get down, where I would just put it down and wait until the next word showed up. But then you'll suddenly get struck with a crazy idea that easily becomes this awesome poem. I don't think poetry is a natural thing. I don't think it has to be forced. It just happens. =]

• Silent Voice and Tender Heart
    15 years ago

I know I have dry spells. I sometimes stuff just pops in my head and I am like "AAARRRRGH I have nothing to write on". My bestfriend suggested using my notepad in my cell phone when that happens. I don't really know if I am talented. I know I have been told that but I just write because I like to do it and that is what matters. If you like to write, do it because in the long run, no matter what everyone else says, it only matters what you think.

• Lovely
    15 years ago

Sometimes but not all the time. Sometimes, well atleast most of the times words come naturally as I write about how I fell and what I'm going through. Other times I kind of get stuck. I guess it writers block so another poet on the site told me. So i guess you can say try but I dont really think its a talent.

• Lost and Delirious
    15 years ago

HELL YEAH

• LethaLfeLinE aka ALDZ
    15 years ago

Writing is both a gift and a skill. It is something that comes out naturally at any given circumstance but it is also something that needs to be polished. Like any other talent, you have to practice and harness it to be able to showcase a craft can stimulate the interest of the audience.

• Mary
    15 years ago

Writing comes easily for me, I think it always has. If I am told to write about something that I am not very passionate about it, it is very hard for me. For my poetry class, I had to write about a startfruit and it took me 3 days. I get better by learning about new techneichs and using them.

• David ODonnell
    15 years ago

I don't know if I am naturally talented at writting poetry but I do believe I have a certain way with words.

• Christina Hobbs
    15 years ago

I do belive that righing comes easier to some poeple than others.

if you want people to read your work start commenting on others or use the appropriate thread and ask to be commented on ~Requests to read/comment poems~

• Insanity
    15 years ago

I really cant say... I have been told I have a gift, because I can form words and sentences in my head in almost a second. Yet as for getting better....well I think it is like anything else just learn to write more. Take class over English and writing and apply those ability's to your own work.

• adriaan
    15 years ago

Well, if if I say I was naturally talented that wouldn't be very modest, so I couldn't say that.
    In other words, I am. Yes. Yes I am.

• Moose
    15 years ago

Lol @ above post.

But yes I believe it came naturally to me. Through my mothers side poetry has been a main peice of life. My first poem I ever wrote was when I was 12 (bout a month before My 13th) and it is probably my greatest work.

• adriaan
    15 years ago

So literally, you look at the wall, fart, and the words spring to your mind...

(Well if not, where's the stinky smell? :p)

• Lori
    15 years ago

Oofta I've had this so many time...actually i think we all have...lol

• expressivechild
    15 years ago

I don't know if I am a natural actually, but I know I love to express myself a lot and I figured I find myself really comfortable doing it in writing. I am also rather imaginative by nature and it really inspires me. A lot! I do not have certain formats as I have not studied poetry or literature that much. All I know, I have something in mind I think I want to put it in writing and whatever I wrote slowly evolves into a poem. Thats how it is for me....

• expressivechild
    15 years ago

Dry spells..well, it happens at times and if I do, I usually put what I have written so far 'on hold' and not give up on till I am certain I have nothing to go on with it.

• Megan
    15 years ago

Well I have been told that I am naturally talented at poetry, a lot of my classmates read a poem I worte for History and went so far as to call me crazy good. But there are millions of people out there more talented than me. I get better by writing more. When I look back to my early poems I can't believe how silly/just plain bad they sound. Now though, I can write something not half bad. I get dry spells all the time. But then again I get periods of insane inspiration too. I love writing poetry. I do it because of this and whether it's good or not I'll keep doing it.

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

Poetry, I believe, is a skill that can be learned. Very few people on this earth can not feel emotion. Probably due to some accident or brain malfunction. If you can feel, you can write poetry. Just like being able to hammer in a nail, you can write poetry. The skill can be fine tuned and perfected over time. Just like any other skill, it gets better with time. Everyone feels, but it takes longer for some to actually be able to describe those feelings, but the more you do it, the better you'll get at it.

• David
    15 years ago

If they admit it then i will say they are vain, everyone can always improve. its a skill but you can't be born or be naturally talented with the most skill in poetry. you might have an advantage over the illiterate but thats about it.

i hope i read this all right. hmmm, i think i missed the point i think... oops meh

DJ

• Sepia
    15 years ago

I think, that you need a kind of natural talent to write poetry and you can improve if other let you know what they think of it ... how they understand it ...

But I don't know, maybe it's because I'm too much a perfectionist ... but it's just sometimes that words come out of me in the right order ... with the right meaning ... I don't know ... it's just infrequently that I like what I write

• Kapri Jamonda
    15 years ago

I don't know if what I'm saying is right but i think i...agree...but even of it doesn't interest your audience...you may still feel good about yourself...because, you let everything out...and no frustration

• Grant Gilbert AKA Slash
    15 years ago

I dont know about the talented part but i think the writing of my poems comes naturally,I guess we all have dry spells sooner or later

• Chelsie Nicole
    15 years ago

Hey well i didnt start writing poetry till the beginning of last school year and idk i guess I've always admired those who could make such wonderful poems. but for me all my poems just pop into my head and if i dont write them down i lose them and never able to remember what sounded good in my head!!!