Question on Glosa verse form

• Sylvia
    15 years ago

I have been challenged to do a Glosa form poem. This is the explanation that I found and is the most abundant on the web.

"Glosa Verse - The glosa is an early Renaissance form that was developed by poets of the Spanish court in the 14th and 15th centuries. In a glosa, tribute is paid to another poet. The opening quatrain, called a cabeza, is by another poet, and each of their four lines are imbedded elsewhere in the glosa.

The opening quatrain is followed by four stanzas, each of which is generally ten lines long, that elaborate or "glosses" on the cabeza chosen. Each ending line (10th line) of the four following stanzas is taken from the cabeza. The usual rhyme scheme of a glosa is final word rhyming of the 6th, 9th and the borrowed 10th lines."

I have read several of these forms that meet this explanations requirements and others that do not come close.

My question is since this is the explanation used on most websites, should I use this as my guideline?

• Dark Savior
    15 years ago

That is the most common one. There are also people who claim that it has to have some sort of religion aspect to it, but that is relating to another type of Glosa(Muscian).

That is the most common way to do it, and the only way I would recommend doing a Glosa if you wish to attempt it.

• Sylvia
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I am going to use this way for the Glosa. It is a daunting task but I almost have the author and poem picked out.

• Dark Savior
    15 years ago

That would be a very hard choice. You should really put research into that. You don't want to mirror a poet who will over shadow your skill level, you want someone who will illuminate your own skill level.

• Sylvia
    15 years ago

I have been thinking about using, Remembrance - a poem by Emily Bronte. I have been doing some research on her but not sure if I will use this or not.

These are two others on my list.
    Something Left Undone
    a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

How Do I Love Thee?
    a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Do you have any suggestions?

• Sylvia
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link. I did read it. I also read one done by TJ Becker. Both of them are done more in the other forms I found described on other poetry sites. I probably will stick to the form I originally found.

• Sylvia
    15 years ago

Thanks for this information. This sounds like the form that I have chosen to use.