How do I figure out my sexuality?

• Misshapenheart21
    11 years ago

Hi I am a teen girl.
    I haven't ever been I a real relationship.
    I have asked out boys and have been asked out by boys but it never became a Real relationship.
    Me and my friends (this refers to friend who are girls) have always kissed eachother on the cheek and held hands and stuff... I never really thought anything of it until some kid in my grade called us a clan of lesbians.
    I also never did more than holding hands and being kissed On The cheek until I found out that my friend was bisexual.
    At that point I began to question my sexuality.
    I found that I really did like it when my friends kissed my cheek or held my hand.
    I started to take part in being the one to kiss their cheeks.
    All through this time I had crushes on boys but I
    Couldn't help wondering what it would be like.
    I kinda thought I wanted to kiss one of my friends (who's lesbian) but I was worried that if I didn't like it I'd hurt her.
    I wasn't really ready to try a same sex relationship since I want an opposite sex relationship and had wanted one for so long.
    This post has lot about girl->girl feelings so you might automatically think I like girls but really I like guys more and If I were to have a girlfriend or
    A boyfriend I'd choose boyfriend...
    But I can't shake thoughts of being with a girl....
    Please help.... I want to know
    My sexuality

• Britt
    11 years ago

You're still pretty young so it's not uncommon to not have had a long term relationship, or any relationship at all.

It's hard, but I would say stop worrying about it and just do your own thing. Don't worry about having relationships or crushing on people - enjoy being a kid while you still can. Relationships, especially at a young age, can bring so many ups and downs - if I could go back and do it all over again, I would've been single and just had fun with friends, and paid more attention in school (boys replaced school for me).

As for your sexuality no one can tell you what you feel or where you're leaning towards. I think it could be more so the rush of hormones and wanting to belong to something/someone and having some sort of a relationship. I used to hold my friends hands when we were younger (more so grade school or elementary age) but not when we got a bit older. Then again, no one in my schools talked about being gay, or bisexual either.

I wouldn't suggest experimenting, as that can lead to a lot of mixed feelings, including insecurity on your own part, and you could potentially lose friends over it. It may be a phase or it may be a part of who you are - I'd wait a bit on it, and like I said before, enjoy being a kid before worrying about this kind of stuff.

• Misshapenheart21
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice! It really helped..... Anyone else have thoughts? Or personal stories? Or anything helpful?

• JustAnotherPoet
    11 years ago

Heyy I have no experience in girl-girl relationships but I just want to help out with your feelings. Girls are generally much more intimate than guys. My close friends and I also hug and hold hands everywhere we go. I dont think that we are being lesbians but our friendships are really reall good.

• JustAnotherPoet
    11 years ago

Maybe you are questioning yourself because of that kid's comment?? I wouldnt advise you to start a relationship with a girl nor a guy right now as you are not really sure of your own feelings. It is quite selfish if you go into a relationship just to test out your own sexuality. You might hurt the other party, be it a guy or girl.

• JustAnotherPoet
    11 years ago

You mentioned that you would still choose a guy over a girl in a relationship but is it because it is just natural for a girl to be with a guy or is it because you really like the guy. Hopefully I had helped you to make a decision. Feel free to pm me anytime you need help.

• Formidable Muse
    11 years ago

Sometimes feels won't come across clearly and we misinterpret them.

I honestly thought I was in love with someone for a few years, she eventually proved not to be the person I thought she was. After that point, I took a step back trying to understand why I liked her in the first place. I realized that I saw many qualities in her that I really liked and wanted to be like her in those ways. I wanted to be like her because people liked and respected her in different ways then me and I mistook wanting to be like her for wanting her.

I'm attracted to people for who they truly are, their gender shouldn't matter. It's just a label, an obstical thrown in the way by society in order to categorize people.

So in saying that, sometimes we need to pick apart our feels and truly know who we are and what we want in life in order to understand things like that. People are complicated and it helps to know yourself before you try getting To know someone else.

I hope that helped in some way (: