Hi, just got a weird pm

• KeyxMashingxParody
    16 years ago

It was about a poetry contest, i went to the link, my McAfee said it was a bad website, I'm not too sure of it, please let me know if anyone else has gotten a message like this. from a JennovaHoward, i think the name was.

-Elizabeth. H-

• T uh Belle lll
    16 years ago

Yeah I got it too, um, just ignore it. Or you can enter the contest, but pretty sure it's a scam.

`tia

• Blissful
    16 years ago

I got it too and was suspicious the first moment I read it. Went to her profile and saw it was suspended and my hunch was right. never went to the site because I know it probably contained a virus or it was a scam.

• donk2ymouth
    16 years ago

I believe it's called phishing
    Definitions of phishing on the Web:

# In a computing context, Phishing is an impersonation of a corporation or other trusted institution. The goal of the impersonation is to extract passwords or other sensitive information from the victim. It is a form of criminal activity that utilizes social engineering techniques. ...
    www.f-secure.com/security_center/malware_code_glossary.html

# is the term for an ever-growing e-mail fraud threat.
    www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmvp/sv0306.mspx

• Blissful
    16 years ago

I received another one from a diff person and this ones account was not suspended. It said the same thing has the first one.

• Noir
    16 years ago

I think the hacker came back again....I recieved a pm from here...Today!! I filed a complaint, but other than that, she came back.

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/author.html?id=344921

• Poetess Lana
    16 years ago

^^ yeah, thats the member who i got a message from saying "Thanks for being a member of our community, enter this contest to win $100,000 dollars." and then it gave me a link... but im too smart to fall for stuff like that! OH, and i know its the same member cuz the member ID was the same.

• Tammie
    16 years ago

Yeah I got it too but the account was already suspended and I complained just incase anyway.

Stupid people. Seriously. Who doesn't have that much of a life that would do that?

• Alvin Laberinto eNigmaa
    16 years ago

It seems like this person has been recreating accounts. Is there an IP ban on their address?

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

Yes, there is an IP ban. They are not creating new accounts anymore, they just sent out a lot of those PM's and, unlike forum posts and comments, Private messages don't disappear when a member is suspended.

Just report the PM if you get one, just so we can make sure it's not a new account. (Or if you want to save us a step, click on the user name and if it goes to a suspended account, just delete the comment)

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

There is/was a new account sending out the same message (or similar) The account has been suspended and an IP Ban already placed.

If you get one of these messages, please do what I suggested above and click on the sender's name and see if the account is already suspended and if so, just delete the message.

Thanks,
    Ann Marie

• PygmyPuff
    16 years ago

It sucks cuz it took over myspace, now its in the coolest simple site around. i mean get a life.

• Blissful
    16 years ago

I just got another one ... third time.

• skynerraw
    16 years ago

I've gotten about 5 of those, all from different people

• Live WeLL
    16 years ago

Yea the link goes to poetry.com - if you google it , you'll find out it's just a poetry contest scam that takes your money. I actually entered the contest and they told me i was a semi-finalist and they asked for a bunch of money to publish my poem. I knew something wasn't right so I never sent them any money and good thing i didnt...

if you enter any contests online, make sure it's not a scam. There's a lot of them out there and you can google 'poetry scams' to find out how to point them out.

=)

• TwistedAngel xx
    16 years ago

Yeah ive had that happen before

and also had some PMs about "contests"

but I know better

hopefully hehe
    xx