SuperbOwl

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

My brother told me about this sub-reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Superbowl/

and it's not what you think...

So, in honor of today, what is the most superb owl, in your opinion?
    I happen to think the Western Screech Owl is adorable.

^_^

• Milly Hayward replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

The Elf Owl ~ Micrathene whitneyi (https://www.owlpages.com/owls/species.php?s=2230) one of the smallest owls in the world is sooohhhhh cute :)

The Elf Owl is a tiny, short-tailed owl with a round head and no ear-tufts. It was originally known as Whitney's Owl. The species name whitneyi is a Latinised word formed from the last name of Josiah Dwight Whitney (1819-1896), a prominent American geologist.

• Brenda
    6 years ago

I think the Snowy Owl is amazing! I was lucky enough to actually see one once. It truly was magnificent.

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

heheheh I love this. I don't watch football, but I like superb owls! I like the faces of barn owls. Snowy owls are majestic. Great gray owls make me want to write poetry about haunted woods. Pygmy owls are cutie pies.

• Milly Hayward replied to Brenda
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Brenda, you lucky thing. I would love to see a real owl close up. My mother in law apparently rescued one once but before I knew her. Jane Snowy owls always look quite ghostly to me lol x

• Brenda
    6 years ago

We were actually lucky enough to foster a Barr owl when we were kids. He had gotten separated from his mom. We checked with the department of natural resources and made sure it was ok. We named him Clacker because he would click his beak together. Started him out on raw venison and worked up to live trapping mice so he would learn to hunt. I used to have him sit on my arm and he'd let me walk around with him and pet him. He finally got to the point he'd be gone for days at a time and then left completely. It was an amazing experience to care for such a magnificent creature. Seeing the Snowy Owl just sitting there, minding his own business was so cool.

• Milly Hayward replied to Brenda
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Brenda what a wonderful experience and to do a such a worth while good deed in helping save such a lovely creature. It's experiences like that which are so rare and yet so important in our lives x

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Love reading these replies! Brenda, that's so awesome :)