Weekly Contest Winners - June 25, 2018!

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Hi, everyone! A lot of the judges were on the same page, especially in regard to Jane's emotional poem, "Despair", which takes the front page with 28 points. Next, we have Ben's incredible English sonnet concerning lasting love. And last but never least, the site broke the tie between Hellon's "Our Story", "Homecoming" by Tanya Southey and "steps to getting worse" by Rosy cheeks and Irony... which took the front page. Congratulations to you all and especially the HM's! Thank you to the judges for their commitment and dedication.

Hope everyone has a fantastic start to their week!

~MaryAnne

WINNERS:

“Despair” by silvershoes 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 = 28 points

“Love In Death Is Never Quite The Same (English sonnet)” by Ben Pickard 10 + 10 = 20 points

“steps to getting worse” by Rosy cheeks and Irony = 10 points

COMMENTS:

“Despair” by silvershoes

“There is such a seething anger in this poem that I simply couldn't ignore it. As poets, we all must have come across those who are close to us who just don't get it. They cannot understand displays of emotions, fluctuations in moods from those with altogether more unstable dispositions than them and - ultimately - that means they can never understand poetry itself.
    However, we get to a point (I know I have) where you don't care anymore; you cannot afford to. Then, your inherent emotional side needs to let loose and say how it feels. It looks as though the author has experienced that here.
    If the end is anything to go by, she hasn't fixed the problem, but at least she is free enough to write about it.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - -

“Skin picking disorder, also known as ‘dermatillomania’ is where a person simply cannot stop picking at their skin. Trying to scratch away a mole or a freckle to make that area perfect is insane, right?

Using this as a simile for depression is apt. We know dwelling on the past is senseless, but depression will, undoubtedly, make you claw at those memories until each and every imperfection is an ‘oozing wound’.

The writer has described a journey where depression was defeated, or at least, put to sleep, by the power of writing. The line ‘my lungs were larger than my rib cage’ is a superb description of this.

Like all addictions, they are bittersweet and, if unchecked, the ‘monster’ a.k.a. – ‘my old friend’ can return. The last lines leave us with the knowledge that, indeed, the monster is back!” (7)

- - - - - - - -

“You write very few poems, but whenever you portray the emotions you feel it becomes addiction for those who reads your poems. Like I read this poem again and again forgetting the world is in despair around me and in the end it left me with one true companion (happiness)
    Very good content for the readers - one line of truth.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - -

"It's so hard to comment on this piece because of how personal it is, how I feel the frustration and the anxious way in which you're writing, at least it comes across that way. I don't often hear or see the word "dermatillomania", and often times people can't understand the way it really can rob a person, how stress, anxiety and so many other things in the mind can contribute to that. This hit me hard because sometimes we go back and fall into "old ways" again, no matter how much we have grown or what are circumstances are. Being able to write this out and sort through some of it is a monumental move, especially since depression can become what we rely on. It's what we know. I noticed how you used "companion" and "old friend" at the end and it made me think of the familiarity of sinking back into the darkness, where it's so much effort to let others help us, or even to want to see the brighter side. It becomes a battle and a war with our minds when we feel we can't possibly have the strength to suddenly be someone else, a "changed" person, whatever that may mean.

Very powerful, hard-hitting write indeed." (7)

“Love In Death Is Never Quite The Same (English sonnet)” by Ben Pickard

“For me, the best poem of the week. I just want to say that something pure is never really gone. There is purity in almost every single poem of yours. Your poems, oh gosh, they are eternal. The title itself is so well written that it can be use as a quote. Congratulations, You stole our hearts once again.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“Poetry is written in many forms, but what makes a poem exceptional? Is it, its technical prowess - maybe? Or, is it, it’s imagery; conjuring a picture clear enough to bask in - perhaps? No, surely, it’s a theme that is relatable to all, right? Well, this poem, for me, placed a firm tick in all of the above boxes! It quite honestly, oozes brilliance from the title to the last word of the rhyming couplet.

I found myself smiling and swaying like Stevie Wonder as I read each crafted line. Tears welled in my eyes as I absorbed the meaning of loving in the moment.

Ben, we know, is able to write a decent sonnet, but this week, this sonnet, he really has hit a bull right between the eyes.” (10)

“steps to getting worse” by Rosy cheeks and Irony.

“Woah, this piece was quite something - a lot different than what I have mostly read, and very much intense. Dangerous feelings overflow this and I am left in a place from where I do not know which words to pick up. The unkept structure and the free flow of this poem works very well to bring out the feelings and make the reader connect with them and feel them. The feelings brought out from this piece, did, truly, kept getting worse step by step. I no more know what to say.” (10)

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago

HM’s:

"Homecoming" by: Tanya Southey = 10 points

“Our Story” by: Hellon = 10 points

“Glory baize of old” by: Michael 4 + 4 = 8 points

“Breathless” by: Ben = 7 points

"Loss" by: Megan Chapman = 4 points

“Poetry Garden” by: Mr. Rious = 4 points

“To Andrea (Maple Tree)” by: Larry Chamberlin = 4 points

COMMENTS:

"Homecoming" by: Tanya Southey

"I think this site is blessed to have your poetry on here, and the first thought that enters my mind after reading this is how self-aware you seem... how you are in-touch with your emotions and it radiates in your poetry. Often times, and in my own writing, there have been lines that felt forced or this uncertainty on whether I should say something, but in this piece I found not only observations but realizations after growing up and coming to know what "home" means. On a side note, I didn't even realize til after reading that you didn't use any commas or periods, just the line breaks and separating into stanzas, and still it flowed effortlessly. There's a nostalgic touch about this piece, bittersweet in also realizing the depth of loss and how grief manifests itself. I also loved the heartwarming line about home not being a physical place, like we might think as children growing up. It's sound, scent, atmopshere, smells, feelings (both comforting and painful). It surrounds us.

Really excited to read more of your work and may I say, welcome on this site!" (10)

“Our Story” by: Hellon

“Such a beautifully written and nostalgic piece of poetry which really did move me. Time is something that, in our youth, we all believe we have plenty of but then, one day, we look back and wonder where it all went. We realise that it isn't a bottomless well after all. Though the author never quite tells us what actually did happen in this particular story, we are left feeling decidedly bleak about the possibilities. Well done.” (10)

“Glory baize of old” by: Michael

“As a child I loved nothing more than playing with my balls. This reached a peak in my teens, spending many an hour sinking balls into holes.

Tennis, football and snooker – I loved them all.

“History of snooker. The game of snooker is a cue sport which emerged in its modern form in the late 19th century, with roots going back to the 16th century form of English billiards. Billiards was popular among the British Armed Forces stationed in India. ... Eventually, these two games were combined to form snooker.” Wikipedia

This poem talks nostalgically about this game. Specifically, for this writer, the ‘bus-mans’ club canteen’ where many a snooker match was watched and practiced as a child. The imagery of him being just ‘four feet tall’, trying to cue up a shot is hilarious. The sound and visuals are so real – that I felt I was there. From the smoke-filled room, to the strained faces desperately trying to build their break.

It seems that a poem like this reflects, not only on a child’s memory and poets enjoyment of the game; but also, the subtle changes in society. There was a time when you would find the game of snooker played everywhere – from canteens, to snooker halls. It was accessible, played in every town, in a number of venues and by all classes. Now, it seems, that the snooker clubs are reducing in numbers, so the game is now more exclusive and that is a shame.

The poem is written in both rhyme and meter, which is always a nice touch.” (4)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Michael has a real gift at telling a story with his words and making the reader feel like they are seeing what he is describing though his own eyes. Anyway, this is a little cracker of a poem which I was particularly drawn to, not just for its original content, but because I am a big fan of snooker myself. A treat of a write.” (4)

“Breathless” by: Ben

“Just like the title claimed, I truly am left breathless after reading this piece. Like always, Ben again has a beautiful piece for us. Every here and there, you equip this piece with another and another beautiful metaphor, imagery or phrase and I am left in awe. Within the lines I could see the heartache and the
    desperate attempts to save love and the pain that comes along with it the poet experiences due to the
    death of their love. This is both beautiful and sad. Well done.” (7)

"Loss" by: Megan Chapman

"I am not a parent so I cannot even begin to grasp the immensity of grief and pain you must endure, but I find it incredibly brave of you to share this, and in some way, I hope it helped to express those feelings that often can choke us and make us feel so alone. Being separated from anyone, not being able to move forward, it must be a weight on the heart that seems impossible at times. My heart hurts and breaks that you are deprived of seeing those you love. The title of your piece is more than just the general understanding of "loss", because you as a mother are not only experiencing the loss of making new memories with your grandchild, but that closure and healing with your own child. This made me think of the times when we estrange ourselves because we feel there is no other way, or that reaching out is too hard and involves too many people. I'm so sorry you carry this burden and I wish you nothing but support and love. Such a personal, heartbreaking write." (4)

“Poetry Garden” by: Mr. Rious

“A lovely poem that very beautifully brings out the beauty of the different forms and languages in poetry. Truly, this is the magic of poetry that does to us – it can never leave our soul – just like your very own work which shall be treasured throughout. It is as beautiful as anything I've ever read. Beautifully done.” (4)

“To Andrea (Maple Tree)” by: Larry Chamberlin

“She (Andrea) is a very sweet person. Though she is going through the hard things in her life and most of the poems that we write or dedicate to her are about those bad things yet It's so good to see how much we care for each other. Third stanza was the most favorite part because I completely agree with you that she has a secret strength.” (4)

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations all for all the amazingly awesome writes this week everyone has bestowed upon us! Judges, always for your time and making the difficult choices. Mary Anne for hosting. Btw, whichever judge who likes to play with his balls, hilarious!

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Congratulations one and all and big up our mods and admin.

To our retiring judges, thank you so much for your hard work, I've been there so I know it's not as easy as people may think.

Respect

Craig

• Ben Pickard

Honestly, some of the poetry that is being turned in week in and week out at the moment is of a very high standard, not least from a couple of welcome and talented new members of the site.
    Thank you to the judges for their continued time and to the two who saw my poem as worthy of their 10 points and well done to all highlighted this week.

All the best

• Hellon

Congrats to the winners and hm's this week. To the judge who commented on my poem...sometimes I try to 'sketch' a poem in pencil and let the reader colour it in for themselves, I will never really know the outcome but...I know you understood what I was trying to achieve so...thank you...

Thanks also to Naaz for nominating my poem.

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Thank you to whoever nominated my poem and huge thanks to the judges for leaving such great comments -- each hitting on the truth of 'Despair.' The 4th judge in particular seemed to know exactly where the poem stemmed from, and it is comforting to feel understood or known.

Congratulations to Ben and Rosy. Well done.
    Thank you, MA, for hosting :)

• Meena Krish replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

Congrats Winners & HM's
    Thank you judges and thanks for
    hosting MA

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congrats to each winner and to fellow HMs. Thanks judges especially for the comment (and Thanks Em for the nomination), thanks, too, to MA for hosting.

ONE MORE WEEK in this term. Two months go by like a blink.

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all winner's and HM's. Thanks to MA for hosting and to all the judges - they're a funny bunch, aren't they? :D