Explaining poems

• goddess-glamourpuss
    16 years ago

I was wondering whether I should add an expalnatory note to some of my poems to help people 'get' them. I have had a couple of comments on a recent poem that just took the piece at face value when I had intended it to be a metaphorical piece.
    So should I let my work speak for itself or give the reader a clue?

• Corinne
    16 years ago

Oh My Goodness! Or rather Oh my Goddess! It's you! Hi there GGP

I would say no explanatory notes necessary. Either it's clear or it isn't. If you are specifically asking someone to critque your poems, and point out ways to improve or be clearer in what you want to say, and not just hear a "well done" from them, then perhaps.

• Corinne
    16 years ago

GGP
    You're a highly intelligent woman - You have an adult view of the world...Younger members might not get metaphor or literary allusions, etc...I don't think you need to explain your work. You're an excellent writer

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

Occassionally I may add a note regarding some technical aspect of the poem, or to clarify some obscure reference or foreign word/phrase, but never to explain the poem. Often I've had readers interpret a poem of mine totally different than what it means to me, and sometimes it shows me a viewpoint of the poem I hadn't realized. Of course I usually have a specific meaning or emotion when I write a poem but I like the idea of one of my poems being interpreted in some other way and occassionally have deliberately made a poem somewhat obscure/abstract so that it can be interpreted in different ways. It's like a painting, each person sees in it what he/she wants to and takes away their individual meaning.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• Teria
    16 years ago

Sometimes I leave a tiny note after a poem, but not neccisarily [sp] to explain the poem, but the way it was written.

Like my poem, Twisted Mind.. I let people know what point of view it was written from, but I let their imaginations make up the rest.

Honestly, I don't think you should explain the poem. Maybe how you wrote it, or the idea of it. But, not in detail. People like to read without knowing, it makes them guess. (:

• The Herald
    16 years ago

Would you try to explain to van gough how to paint? or me how to play last chaos? lol inside joke but seriosly, the point being that you dont need to expain stuff to the masters. this being the case, yes, i do consider us/me masters =) us being evryone on P+Q's. =)

• FTS Miles
    16 years ago

I'd agree with the others suggesting that you shouldn't add explanatory notes. Or do so if you want, but don't feel that you need it.

Think of it this way... are you going to add explanatory comments if you publish your poetry in a book or collection? Likely not.

Ultimately a poem needs to rest upon itself, and in so many regards that's the power of a poem... just like a painting or other work of art, the reader of a poem brings their own interpretation to what they see before them. If someone wasn't interpreting my poem in the way I had intended, I'd ask myself two questions: (1) did I make the poem too complex or vague and (2) might the readers be too inexperienced, naive, superficial, or lazy to interpret the poem from the clues provided?

And it could admittedly be either or both. Just depends. If you assess that it's #1 even in part, then retool the poem and test it again. If you think it's #2, then you still might want to assess how the poem might weigh in the minds of most people who might read it if published... in other words, is it marketable? Then decide whether or not to tweak it for publication, or whether you feel it needs to remain as it is for your own comfort and ethics.

• Something Diabolical
    15 years ago

I dont normally post a note either =P

and agreed ^ ^ ^

poems should speak for themselves.. readers get their own meanings from reading poems.. so everyones is different..

i like that =]

• LoreNz0
    15 years ago

Its entierly up to u, and dependant on the poem

if u feel that some readers may need a hint or 2, then put a lil comment at the end. the readers who can already interprit wht u want to say will have ther suspisions confirmed.
    on the other hand if u feel that it defeats the purpose of the poem, dont.

in my opinion the poem will not be negatively effected either way.

• Vix
    15 years ago

If you have to explain or justify your poem then your poem isn't successful. Simple as. If you think the possible readings of your poem, or key themes / devices etc arn't clear then revise your poem...and keep revising it until all that is left is the core elements which expound it's meaning. Every line break, every comma, every rhyme, every word and the order of every sentance, stanza etc should be hand picked and appropriate.

• Bre Monique
    15 years ago

Sure. Sometimes people don't see or understand things the same way as you. That's life. Before each of my poems I add a quick synopsis of the poem <without giving everything away> to get people in the mood for whatever I'm writing about.

• gracey grey
    15 years ago

One writes what one feels at that moment.With hundreds of people reading poems here, some may see black, some white. It makes it interesting that way.One post poetry wanting comments so why explain.if you feel your poem has been misinterpreted, the best way is msg and explain.

• Painted Persona
    15 years ago

Poetry wasn't meant to be 'gotten' by all, well not in my view. I believe that I write for myself to begin with and with some hopes that people will take what they'd like and find inspiration...

I wrote this poem called Unremoved Deposits...now my good friend Brittie-O read it and thought it was about using the bathroom, haha, crazy girl...but in reality it's about getting a tattoo...

I'm just grateful that anyone takes anything from my poems weather they understand them or not, at least I know.

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

A true artist doesn't care about if people get the message. It's about letting people enjoy your work and see what they need to see. Some people take something from a poem that no one else would even imagine to take, but it helps them on a personal level. Giving an explanation limits their imagination. I say nay to explaining your poetry. Let the imagination of your readers roam freely.

• David
    15 years ago

Never put a note on it, let them have their own interpertation. you know yours and that is all you really need....

DJ

• Deana
    15 years ago

I think half of the greatness about art in any form is that it says different things to different people.I have added a note at times, a dedication or something like that but never to explain my meaning.It means what it means to you,the reader.

• Grant Gilbert AKA Slash
    15 years ago

I think that sometimes an explanation is needed especialy on something metaphorical

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

I just read over some of my comments. It's amazing what people take from my poems. Sometimes, they completely don't get it. Then again, I don't care. What I care about most is that they take something out of it. What that something is, it doesn't matter. Sometimes we find ourselves in the most unlikely places. I like to be a part of that and offer people the most unlikely places I can, lol.

• Invited
    15 years ago

You could if you don't think its clear

• Wolf Haines
    15 years ago

I wouldnt explain the poem. But if you feel its misunderstood then perhaps add a background note? why you started the piece etc. Might add some insight into the meaning behind the poem.