Diatelle contest?

• nmdoza
    14 years ago

Hey everyone. I havn't seen a poetry contest of a diatelle yet, and I think it would be such a good idea for someone to start one. But the thing is, I'm still pretty new to writing so I dont think I would be the best judge or the best person to be reviewing/commenting on other people's poetry.
    But if someone more experienced than me in poetry agree that this could be a good way of trying something unique and creative, you can PM me and we can find a way together on how to judge the winner of this contest. For those who would like to enter as well, please let me know and we can see if this works out or not. And if this were to happen, you can write about anything, as long as it sticks to the proper format of it.

So a diatelle consists of :

a syllable structure of 1/2/3/4/6/8/10/12/10/8/6/4/3/2/1 and has a set rhyme pattern of abbcbccaccbcbba.
    This syle is also best alligned in a diamond shape.

And for those who may find the structure confusing, here is another way of putting it :

Line 1.. 1 syllable/rhyme a
    Line 2.. 2 syllables/rhyme b
    Line 3.. 3 syllables/rhyme b
    Line 4.. 4 syllables/rhyme c
    Line 5.. 6 syllables/rhyme b
    Line 6.. 8 syllables/rhyme c
    Line 7.. 10 syllables/rhyme c
    Line 8.. 12 syllables/rhyme a
    Line 9.. 10 syllables/rhyme c
    Line 10. 8 syllables/rhyme c
    Line 11. 6 syllables/rhyme b
    Line 12. 4 syllables/rhyme c
    Line 13. 3 syllables/rhyme b
    Line 14. 2 syllables/rhyme b
    Line 15. 1 syllable/rhyme a

• Kimberley
    14 years ago

That's so awesome. I vote we try it out for a contest. I've never written one of these before but it looks like a good challenge. :)

• nmdoza
    14 years ago

I know. i think it would be fun to try it out...but so far, i dont think anyone agrees (n) lol :(

• nmdoza
    14 years ago

I know. i think it would be fun to try it out...but so far, i dont think anyone agrees (n) lol :(

• nmdoza
    14 years ago

Sorry, my message posted three times -_-

• nmdoza
    14 years ago

Me niether. im still a new member. and i've recently just started writing. and i hope this contest goes through...but so far no takers. :(

• Kuro
    14 years ago

Well i gave it atry, but i don't think it was very good :(

• nmdoza
    14 years ago

No dont worry. it was good. sorry I have not commented on one of your poems yet. I've been very busy with this short story I'm writing atm. It's due tmrw, so maybe by then end of this week I'll get to look over them. unless im busy doing exam reviews :/

• Mommy And Me
    14 years ago

What was What is and What never will be (Diatelle)

You're
    Worthwhile,
    Make me smile.
    Were my sunshine--
    But you are versatile;
    Never a time were you all mine.
    The thought of you sends shivers up my spine.
    Don't know what you did; but you made my thoughts obscure;
    And we will never again intertwine.
    Feelings have managed to refine;
    You're not worth my while.
    You are malign,
    Merely vile,
    Hostile
    Whore.

... mmmm not my best by no means; but the first poem i wrote in over a year.. guess it will do for now

• Kenny
    14 years ago

Lemme try. .