Blocked

• Emmanuel Pineda
    12 years ago

I am having a bit of writers block. Why is it that inspiration comes in spurts? I will have a week where I am just flooded with ideas and poems just flow out of me one after another, but suddenly the inspiration stops. I dont have the ability to just keep the switch on. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get myself writing again? I need help!

• Britt
    12 years ago

Write a terrible poem. Or an acrostic. I always write a crappy acrostic to just get whatever is hidden out there. I usually have some sense of direction afterward.

Check out the contest forum, too. Maybe something in there will spark your fancy :)

• Emmanuel Pineda
    12 years ago

I cant figure out the whole contest forum either lol. How does that work? i always see contest winners but how do u submit a poem to the sites contest? Sorry for the bonus question lol

• Emmanuel Pineda
    12 years ago

That is what I generally do, but lately music is becoming less and less inspiring lol

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

There are a couple different kinds of contests. The ones you'll find in the "poetry websites and contests" part of the forum are run by any individual who feels like running it. Larger scale (and longer) contests have been run in the Members Message forum. Those usually last a month, and anyone can enter.

The "Weekly Contest," who's winners show up on the front page of the site, and entered into automatically. Any poem you submit could be up for it. However, it has to be nominated by a reader first. Then there are 5 anonymous judges who read the nominated poems and vote for their top three. The three with the highest cumulative scores go onto the front page.

Whew! It is a bit confusing. Please speak up if you need any more clarification!

• Emmanuel Pineda
    12 years ago

Thank u very much for such a detailed annalysis lol.