Sickle cell disease

• Dark Secrets
    11 years ago

This disease is very common where I live (middle east), and I have about 4 cousins who have it in different levels of severity (I can't really tell how severe) and now I am thinking of being involved (romantically) with a person with sickle cell disease. I myself don't have it, nor am I a carrier, which makes it safe for us to have children if we want to in the future, but I still don't know how severe his disease is. According to the person who matched us together his disease isn't severe, but I still don't know what that means. I am planning on asking him and a doctor before I actually move on with the relationship.

So, now I need some answers to some questions about the disease. I have read stuff online, and in books and pamphlets, and like I said have seen how it is with my cousins, but I need more information.

My questions:
    How much do you know about sickle cell anemia?
    Do you, or anyone you know have sickle cell anemia?
    If you do, how do they cope with it? How do you or anyone who cares for them (parents, lovers, friends) care for them?
    What do you do if they have a seizure or are in pain, or lose breath?
    Are there strategies to help them go through the latter without going to a doctor straightaway?

... right now I'm out of questions, but you can add anything you know that would help prepare me for being with this person.

One more thing: please don't post from sites, because I have probably seen what they say. I need your PERSONAL experience and knowledge.

• Decayed
    11 years ago

I'm sorry I can only answer your 1st question, but the rest, I can't...

Sickle cell anemia is recessive, meaning that it's phenotypically expressed only when both parents carry the mutated alleles. (If parents are both carriers, 25% is the chance of having a diseased baby... And if one parent is a carrier, and the other does not carry the mutated allele, we have 0% chance of having a diseased baby, and 50% of having a carrier baby.)

The disease is also autosomal. It's not carried by the gametes of parents (XX or XY). So we have approx equal chances of having both males and females affected.

From its name, red blood cells have a sickle shape. They become rigid and lacking elasticity, so they damage the blood capillaries while streaming, in addition to prevention of oxygen to different organs.

This is what I generally know...

I don't have anyone affected with this.. and doesn't know anyone affected also..

Good luck in your marriage. It doesn't affect your children, however, if they become carriers and love another carriers, this is when the problem arises.