Interracial dating: ADVICE!

• Erica
    10 years ago

I've been talking to this man for about two months and I really like him. I am African American and he is White. This is new to me and pretty different, but I love it! My parents do not agree and I do not like disappointing them. However, my brothers managed to accomplish interracial dating (Hispanic) and marriage (Asian); I guess it is different to mention a Caucasian? My parents continue to push education and waiting for a relationship every chance they can. I understand clearly the importance but There is something about him and I truly do not want to walk away. Is it wrong to want to be with him even though my parents might not approve? Even though I know the history clash is bad... I cannot help what I find attractive now. I really want some feedback on interracial dating.

• Britt
    10 years ago

An education is definitely important and getting that out of the way before you start a relationship can be a good thing. But if you've found someone that 1. isn't a real distraction and encourages the same goals/morals/values, and 2. is a good man.. it's hard to walk away from that.

Do you think they're really wanting you to wait for a relationship, or do you think if he was black as well that it would be a different story?

I don't see race when dealing with people, I see people. I have a very hard time in dealing with racism, because it's not something I can ever truly understand. People are people are people and we're called to treat everyone the same regardless. If his family didn't like you because of your skin color, how would that make your parents feel?

• Angel
    10 years ago

Thats tough sweetie
    you have to think whose happiness is more important tto you. your own or your parents. honestly i see no problem with interracial dating. my mum is hispanic my dad is white and yet my mom doesnt want me to be with any guy who isnt white. after a while i stopped lisstening to her and ive dated just about every race and truthfully theyre just normal people only the color of skin is different. who cares whats on the outside cause its the man on the inside tthat matters