Protesters

• Brookie
    7 years ago

How many of yall have been protesting today?
    How has this affected your life? Has it been difficult getting to places~

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

Not me but my older sister in London went out to protest. It was a feminist rally.

• Em
    7 years ago

Not me personally as I didnt know about them bit friends did, wish I could have joined them

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

There was a big protest in Toronto and I did not participate. That is how irresponsible I am.

There was dog I heard dressed in one side written I am not a cat ( pu..!!!) the other side written: do not touch me.

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

Ugh. I was too sick, and I think it'll be one of the biggest regrets of my life that I didn't suck it up and go! My sister, mom, dad, cousins, aunts, uncles, and most of my friends all protested in various cities around the country, and even in a couple different countries. 10,000 people protested in my city and not one person used violence. And people packed out what they packed in, no trash left behind. Huge success.

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

Jain I think you have been suckling from the breast of Hillary Clinton just a tad too much. :)

• hiraeth
    7 years ago

"Jain I think you have been suckling from the breast of Hillary Clinton just a tad too much. :)"

I don't follow, care to explain?

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

It means I think Larry have been suckling from the breast of Donald Trump just a tad too much. :)

• Britt
    7 years ago

Loooooooool, Larry probably definitely isn't.

We had two very different protests. The first was a riot, truly, Friday afternoon as people were getting together in Portland, burning flags, fighting one another, breaking windows in businesses and vandalizing, all in protest of Trump (I think, they didn't really seem to have a message other than an excuse to light crap on fire). Businesses closed early on Friday, our transportation system (called the Max) actually disrupted and closed services because of the rioters, affecting God knows how many people getting to and from work, as that is a major mode of transportation in Portland for people.

The second was yesterday, where thousands upon thousands of women (and men) marched. It was 100% peaceful, and the Portland police even came out on social media outlets thanking them for such a peaceful protest. That was encouraging to see. Wasn't personally fond of a lot of the protests signs. They encourage kids to come out and then put truly vulgar and disgusting things on their signs, things I wouldn't want my nieces or nephews to read and think they are okay to say. My friends 8 year old was there and now thinks it's okay to talk about a woman's genitals in an incredibly vulgar tone. He did not hear it from Trump, nor do his parents support Trump (vehemently oppose), and now they're asking Facebook land how to get him to stop saying it. They've tried educating but apparently he says that if both sides of the argument are using that kind of language, why is it not okay? 8 year old logic, I happen to like it lol.

Anyway, the first riot was crap and really messed up Portland for the entire Friday, closing businesses.. OH and schools, they closed schools after we've had 11 days of school closures for snow and ice. I wish people could understand, and this is for ALL sides of the aisle, that the media, and people, will pull the wrongdoers as the spokesperson, and make it seem like all protesters are like this, when we know that's not the case. But people are blind and like to follow the media only, which is horrifying.

In summation, for Portland, as an outsider looking in as I did not attend, boo on the Friday "protests", yay for the women's on Sunday. People get my attention through peace and kindness. I know it's not all about me, but I can only speak for myself. :)

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

So than I have no clue

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

I'm 100% against violent rioting... I'm against violence, but it's also serving to deligitimize the millions of peaceful protestors. We're being brushed off left and right because of a very small percent of rioters, and that's enormously frustrating! I am so proud of my city for creating a peaceful, clean protest last Saturday.

Ddavidd, I think Larry and I both like(d) Hillary more than Donald, or at least felt she was the wiser choice. Still, I hope for a better candidate next time. I will be following Caroline Kennedy to see what she does! She has my vote for the Senate.

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

O my bad. It is so idiotic of me to talk when I have no clue. Wouldn't you say so??!!

One would think where this sudden flexibility of yours come from!!
    We have a saying in my language:
    one who did not go through the gate, now is going through a needle hole.

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

I was all for Bernie Sanders

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

^^^
    Ddavid, 2017.01.23 08:12: "Jain I think you have been suckling from the breast of Hillary Clinton just a tad too much. :)"

hiraeth, 2017.01.23 08:36: "'Jain I think you have been suckling from the breast of Hillary Clinton just a tad too much. :)'"
    "I don't follow, care to explain?"

Ddavidd, 2017.01.23 11:47: "It means I think Larry have been suckling from the breast of Donald Trump just a tad too much. :)"

Since this post is my first I'm curious how I got dragged in here.

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

Haha of course how: you suckle too much nipple.

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Are you simply being insulting or do you have a point to your comments?

I mean other than begging for arguments.

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

I am glad you think it is insulting. I did too, It is the taste of your medicine:

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=145118

25 post below

~~

No I would never insult you Larry. I have great respect for you. It is just to make a point of hypocrisy going on around here!!

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Seriously, Ddavidd, I called you out for insulting someone close to a year and a half ago and you are "giving me a taste of [my] own medicine" by insulting me here.

From Zen Flesh, Zen Bones:
    Two monks were walking through the flooded streets of a small town. The older Monk saw a young lady standing at the edge of the sidewalk afraid to step into the mud. He walked over, picked her up and carried her to the other side of the street, putting her down on the far sidewalk. They continued on their way in silence until the younger monk finally burst out: "we are not allowed to invite contact with women!"
    The older monk, surprised, replied: "I put down that woman back there. Are you still carrying her?"

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

Yes Kevin said (that) to me, and I responded: he has no clue to what I was talking about, and you found not having a clue insulting, not what you see as insult now. Pure hypocrisy!!

What happened to the honesty? What happened to the ability of recognizing our mistakes, and what happened to the ability to apologize for them?????
    Only monk story!!

I left the site then all this time because you hurt my feeling,, you and Jain which only blindly came out to defend her club member as usual, carless about the essence of justice.
    and now that I come back, she is on my heir all the time to settle the old scores.

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

Now I come back, but not alone. I came with the White Horse of Justice::

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/life/poems.php?id=1254064

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

You are not even making logical sense here. You were called out for insulting another member. You lump that together with "not what you see as insult now. Pure hypocrisy!" which is total non-sequitur.

I am happy to recognize any mistakes if you would be articulate about them.

You have left this site more than once, yet you claim to have been kicked off. I'm sorry if your feelings got hurt, but how does that relate to all of those whose feelings you hurt. Are yours that much more important than theirs?

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

You are lying. Go read that link, all the argument was about "not having a clue."

I left the other time as well because you were unfair to me about another member of 'The club.' And if you remember you even apologized for that a year later.
    The ability that you have lost in the way and were replaced with lies.

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

I bring this forward merely to clear the air about what was said:

Other member, 2015.11.03 20:31: "Call it a stylistic comparison. :)"
    Gadfly, 2015.11.03 22:55: "By this you prove few things: Fist you have no clue to what we are talking about here.
    "Second : you have no clue what Deepak Chopra is talking about"

Larry,2015.11.04 10:09: "'1. The Discussion Forums are supposed to be used for discussions, not to attack each other, or to make another member feel inferior.'
    "http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/terms.html
    "It is one thing to prove your point by argument. It is entirely another to attack someone's post by saying they have no clue. That is a direct insult." ...

Gadfly, 2015.11.04 14:48: "Having no clue is insult!! It is new for me I never heard that before, even in the old regime. That means death my friend ( if this is not insult)."

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

"argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself."
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

You dishonestly censored the beginning of the feud . when it started by
    Kevin:
    Someone has been suckling from the breast of Deepak Chopra just a tad too much. :)
    something that you rank as insult now when I said it to you but then, when a member of elites of this site said it, was okay.

• Jamie
    7 years ago

I agree with all of you about the rioters. But the womens march i do not support, and maybe its petty but i heard that in dc the protesters left all their trash just lying there also

Since i am genderfluid and i am very protective of the genderfluid /trans group this is something i got off of a genderfluid group on Facebook two days ago, word for word.

From a trans women friend today in Portland who works as a barista. At women's marches, remember your susters, not just cis-ters.

"I had to stand behind a regester today and talk to what felt like hundreds of pink hat "feminists " Not one of them looked at me like i was a women. Snickers and eye rolls for a solid 6 hours or so.

End.

• ddavidd
    7 years ago

Now I had my peace here . I've exposed you and Jain to "The Eyes of the Truth", and to your hidden conscience.
    That is enough for me . I do not care what others think as long as I am in piece with the truth!!!!!

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Wow, d-man. You nursed that grudge for over a year, specifically called me suckling on D-Trump when I was not even a part of the thread just to take the previous "suckling" comment out of context & get some self-aggrandizing "peace" from it.

I take it back, you definitely deserve an apology here.

I'm sorry that you so did not like being called out that you carried it for so long. I'm glad you got it off your chest.

• Britt
    7 years ago

Jamie, that surprises me. Portland is incredibly liberal.

• Nicko
    7 years ago

Its interesting how attitudes can change well maybe not attitudes, sentiments might be a better word

When Trump came onto the scene almost everybody here, here being Australia laughed at the notion of trump being President of the US. Well the unthinkable happened

Its like if you saw all the past Presidents photos hanging on the wall, (some of which are half decent men) all are respected, then trump at the end. It's akin to having a picture of Ronald McDonald or the Joker hanging there next to Obama.

Having said that the sentiment towards Trump is changing somewhat here. Many are saying, well hang on, maybe this guy will be good for the US ! Well they maybe right, it's going to be dang interesting that's for sure

And that's on the back of what's happening here. Too many Australia is loosening its identity amid political correctness and nandy pamby politicians who are too bloody scared to make a tough decision in case they get criticized by the do gooders. Law an order is going to hell. Everything is owned by somebody overseas, nothing is produced here anymore. Everything costs more than anywhere else (many foreign companies charge more for their goods here than their own country as we are considered wealthier and can afford to pay more) And we pay the highest taxes in the world to support social welfare system that accounts for 80% of my tax.
    So yeah, many are sitting back here and waiting to see what trump will do...

• Narph
    7 years ago

I was traveling that day but a bunch of my friends and family members participated in protests both here in the US and abroad. Super proud of everyone who showed up and a little bummed that I wasn't able to attend.

I think your sentiments are really valid, Britt, about the language being used. I saw a lot of pictures from the marches of signs referencing p%ssy and c%nt. Some that were worse, too. I would be unsure on how to explain those words to a child. They're definitely shocking. At the same time, they are just words, and we have the opportunity to give them new meaning and power, which is kind of a cool thing. Also, linguistically, "pu$$y grabs back" is an awesome slogan.

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

"O my bad. It is so idiotic of me to talk when I have no clue. Wouldn't you say so??!!

One would think where this sudden flexibility of yours come from!!
    We have a saying in my language:
    one who did not go through the gate, now is going through a needle hole."

Ddavidd: It is your bad. You're clearly trying to create a feud from thin air. No one said "you have no clue." No one said anything rude to you at all. You're making things up and then responding to them, almost like when you had multiple accounts on PnQ so you could publicly gang up on members whilst pretending to be more than one person.
    I thought we agreed no more B.S.?

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

Britt and Narph, I agree about curse words. I think the women's march probably shouldn't have included kids unless parents felt comfortable with them seeing offensive language. Knowing that kids would inevitably be present, I personally would have toned down the language.

I can't speak for all of the protests, but many of them funded trash clean up. I know Reno left no trash behind. I agree that leaving behind waste would be counterproductive, even contradictory since many protestors believe in the negative side effects of pollution. Some protests purposefully left behind signs to make a point, at least from what I read today. Paving the streets with meaningful words. I don't necessarily agree with it because I myself am anal about sorting trash, recycling, and compost. Keep the planet green :D I pick up other people's trash regularly.

• abracadabra
    7 years ago

Why are we talking about some trash left behind by 10000s of protesters instead of talking about the trash they were protesting against in the first place?
    Can this just turn into a feminism vs anti-abortion mudslinging thread already. FFS. Step on some toes, it's okay. Take a page from ddavidd's teat-sucking book.

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

Ha! The trash left behind and the handful of rioters are arguments meant to deligitimize the movement, so I think by addressing them, we get people to listen who otherwise wouldn't. So much division that people on both sides don't bother trying to persuade the other side with reason. To me, Trump as president is a waking nightmare, but obviously for a lot of people in the country, he's .... ugh. I can't even write it. He's their dream come true ?!???

• hiraeth
    7 years ago

^ bunch of alternative facts if you ask me. /s

• Britt
    7 years ago

Guys you know it's bad when your resident conservative is mostly agreeing with you lol

• Narph replied to Britt
    7 years ago

Haha Britt you might be the only conservative I genuinely like and respect. :) Glad to have you!

• Brookie
    7 years ago

Heh wow glad to see this thread take off. I went despite being told not to because it was 'womens only' because a cruddy person isnt going to be stopping me.

My friends were complaining about roads being blocked off that protesters shouldnt block or make life harder for non protesters.

I laughed a little and said how else are we going to make people pay attention to us, it might suck but at the same time if its nonviolent then we have no other means to forcing you to look at it.. Idk. i feel its like Yeah you can protest what im doing but only in a spot where i cant hear / see you. Like no, if im going out here with a sign your going to look at me.