Slam Advice, hits and tips needed!

• Naughtymouse
    7 years ago, updated 7 years ago

Hi Guys,

So i've found myself in a position where tomorrow night i'm going to be taking part in a local slam avent.......yup, Scary as ....ahem.....

Any tips advice on ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated.........apart from don't choke lol

Also, any view on what i should read would be pretty cool too hahaha

• Maple Tree
    7 years ago

Your powerful religion poem, topped with a powerful nature piece. Your gonna do great..!!!!

• Naughtymouse replied to Maple Tree
    7 years ago

You are a mind reader Syrup, i wasn't sure if to go with the religious on r or this one...

An angels vent...

Do you know how hard it is to be an Angel?

How much energy it takes to hold people up from the mistakes they never learn from?

we never want your thanks or your favors, we only want you to awaken from your slumber of stupidity, and cease this childish behavior. How you consistently and without hesitation grab what is in front of you and demolish it without a second thought, you destroy what has taken years to build, homes, marriages, businesses, communities even yourselves and yet still you ask for forgiveness, carrying on with your endless protestations That "it was the other guy" or "it was because of THIS or THAT" A constant amalgamation of the insufference of peoples inability to understand a simple premise...

The premise That there IS a difference between right and wrong.

The premise That there IS judgment, that There IS an end game that you are hurtling towards with your eyes wide shut and no matter who you think you’re fooling......... in the end you will face it alone.

Judged on your own merits on the decisions that YOU made and how YOU affected others

It's OUR job to make sure you understand this, with your bodies filled with your own self pity and not even willing to grasp the concept that YOU are a product of Your own environment, a product of the people YOU surround Yourselves with.

DONT blame the alcohol when you drive 5 miles to the off license where no one knows you,.

DONT blame the advertising companies for not having the strength NOT to walk to that counter and ask for johnny walkers red.

DONT blame the child that you KILLED because you were so blind drunk that YOU did not see them

BLAME YOURSELF.

We want you to understand that this is your one and only chance, so grab it with both hands and never let go, life is a gift, an opportunity to shine and have others around you shine, don’t waste it on things that are of insignificance, you are one earth, one people with one pulse stop looking at your differences and finding fault,

Embrace those differences and see how much richer you are for the experience of sharing a paradise as wonderful and beautiful and diverse as each and everyone of you in the 7 billion strong human race.

We are not here to mother you, we are here so THAT YOU LEARN, the weight of your souls lies on our wings and prevents EVEN us from flying and as long as YOU continue to "f" up we are trapped in YOUR hell on earth alongside you, this is our design but what is yours?

We want you to be on the right path even though your eyes and ears are closed to the very truths that you yourselves make, how much longer can you continue to pollute the perfectly balanced oceans given to sustain you,

HOW MUCH longer will you continue to design, process, manufacture, buy and sell, ALL the guns and missiles that kill your wives and children, husbands and friends,

WHEN WILL the penny drop that you can no longer destroy the lungs of your mother earth by chopping, burning and pulverizing the Forests that produce the very air that you breath slowly suffocating the future of your children's children.

All for the advancement of mankind.........

How the irony of that term is implicitly oxymoranic.....MAN........KIND.....

• Maple Tree replied to Naughtymouse

Oh gawd, yes this one as well
    But you gotta do that religious one....trust me

• Liz

Religious fools??

I think that may be a good one.

Also, maybe watching some videos on YouTube (if you haven't already) will help

• Em
    7 years ago

I'm sorry I cannot help you Ben but o know you will truly smash it!!! Good luck x

• Naughtymouse
    7 years ago

Thank you guys I appreciate it...I don't mind admitting I'm cropping it hahaha

• Nicko

Yep I'd go with Religious fools over Angels vent, I think the rhyme scheme adds a bit more punch and it's a strong in your face poem

But hey I've never done a slam

Read slow bro...

• BlueJay
    7 years ago

Check out button poetry videos, they are amazing and they give a great idea of what people like to see as well as how authors like to present. Neil Hilborn did an entire ted talk on slam poetry and you might enjoy that as well! I also totally recommend starting with poems that you feel define you and what you want the world to know about you/your works.

• Naughtymouse
    7 years ago

Thanks guys I appreciate your advice
    !!

• Liz replied to BlueJay
    7 years ago

I love watching those!

• Hellon
    7 years ago

I'm not sure if you've already done you stint...if so please let us know how it went? This is an Australian guy that I really like...maybe you can take something from him...how he projects his voice...starting off slowly and building as the story progresses...hope it helps in someway :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u8dz50GbVk

• Naughtymouse replied to Nicko
    7 years ago

Thanks fella :)

• Naughtymouse
    7 years ago

ok i decided to go with religious fools....ive shifted things around and changed it a little to suit my time slot.....

I won’t stand for this
    constant hatred these days,
    it's funny when you
    hear the religious say;

"God works in mysterious and wonderful ways"

Oh really,
    I see,
    is that what it is?

Mohammed married and slept with a nine year old kid,
    but I guess that's ok because God told him so,
    and tomorrow if she says no then stones they can throw…

Or what about Abraham who offered his son?
    Because god made an order second to none?
    to prove himself worthy of a place by his side,
    he should kill his own son and they'll be no reprise?

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m just framing the picture,
    there’s nothing in here that’s not in the scriptures.
    In the news we are seeing Everyday, how religions
    treat each other……. EVEN on holy days.

The parties of god are destroying the
    earth, with their flying horses and
    pretend virgin births
    and I ask you what do you think it could it be for?

so we can wait for the rapture
    and lay on the floor?
    and wait to be saved by
    a barbaric God?
    who killed his own son, to lift
    his sinful fog.

The fog that HE gave us in
    his infinite wisdom,
    Religion’s nothing but a
    man-made prison,
    because there’s nothing to show that
    ANY of it's true.
    just the book and the word
    of some overpriced fool,
    who can sit in the Vatican,
    Say he's closest to god.

The man is equal to only a dog
    for the protection
    of perverts who shatter tiny lives.

The worlds waking up
    to the pious and their lies.

And you say to them
    all, HOW CAN THIS BE SO?

"God is all powerful and goodly you know".

And we should be grateful.

He did IT all for US.

Be a good sheep and don't make a fuss.

BUT IF YOU don't believe, then you have no soul,
    your crops will perish or a volcano
    might blow, or the heavens will open
    and drown you all in a day, because god loves
    HIS children…....unless they are gay.
    You’re not allowed an opinion, you’re not allowed a voice
    Unless you love the right god.........made the right choice.

Most religions wants war, you see, the end of
    the world, the end of you and me.
    because when that day comes
    they think they'll go to HEAVEN,
    as long as they keep from the sins of the seven.
    Not one is better, no one’s exempt,
    i’ll hold them all with equal contempt.
    Believe in fairies and pixies it up to yourself
    Just don’t push it on me or anyone else.

So fight this oppression and dictatorships views
    Let the churches lay empty with turned over pews,
    Pay no heed to the rabbi's,
    imams and preachers,
    Let conscience be your guide,
    your saviour , your teacher.

Because life is too precious to stay on your knees,
    Embrace poetry and music and art if you please,
    Love your sisters and brothers no matter what their creed...

And you'll find all the comfort and love that you need.

• Maple Tree
    7 years ago

That's a perfect poem to read!

Yes!

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Good luck, Ben. Get someone to tape it on their phone & send us a link to your youtube

• Naughtymouse replied to Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Thank you guys - Larry I will definitely try, apparently they are going to tape it so hopefully its good, nervous though as ive not really had any time to prepare hahaha oh well in for a penny!!

• BlueJay
    7 years ago

Hey just remember, it's all worthless unless you smile like you mean it :P

• Naughtymouse replied to BlueJay
    7 years ago

lmao .... i've had to re edit to allow for smiles lol

• Ben Pickard
    7 years ago

Like the religious fools one, Ben. Bound to get some sort of reaction, lol.

Good luck. This should work really well.

• BlueJay
    7 years ago

Maybe I should have been more clear, sorry, smile after, when you know you've got one more experience to your name.

• silvershoes

The religious fools one reads the most like a hard-hitting slam poem to me. I think that's a good choice if you're trying to shock and garner attention. I'm curious what kind of reaction you'll get - do let us know how it goes!

• Naughtymouse

Hey guys.....so...

i'm not gonna lie, it was nerve racking as hell, i'm surprised I didn't puke and I think I nearly laid an egg hahahaha

The bunch were pretty friendly - there were a couple of VERY straight faces but I think I got the loudest applause of the night which was really cool, I just about managed to not fumble my words so considering I'd never done it before and had less than 24 hour it wasn't so bad :)

They invited me to some open mic stuff going on so I think i'm going to go do a slot there it's be nice to see how I do when I have some time to prepare - this is very out of the ordinary for me so i'm kinda pleased with how it went.

A movie got taken and apparently it's gonna be on you tube pretty soon so i'll let you know when it does if you wanna poke fun lol

I just want to thank everyone for your suggestions, hints, tips and general well wishing and support I REALLY appreciate it so thank you so much!

• Nicko replied to Naughtymouse
    7 years ago

Mate pleased it went well for you, like you I would be crapimg myself

• Naughtymouse replied to Nicko
    7 years ago

lol fella it was intense as hell but I defo enjoyed it!

• Maple Tree
    7 years ago

Oh I'm so happy for you!!!!!

I can't wait to see it!!!!!

• Liz
    7 years ago

Awesome. I can't wait to see it!!
    I would have probably puked all over.
    Kudos to you for getting up there!

• Naughtymouse replied to Liz
    7 years ago

I haven't seen it yet lol I ts gonna be me standing there with my notes right up in my face droning monotones lol not much of a performance I'm afraid but I guess you gotta start somewhere lol

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

Giving into fear is easy. Doing something in spite of your fear is tough. It's called courage. Kudos. You did a courageous thing and are better for it.

• Hellon
    7 years ago

Glad it went well for you. I think it's great that you had the guts to step up there...I wouldn't have had the nerve! Can't wait to see the video. I hope this leads to other openings for you. A very well done from me :)

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Way to go, Ben!!
    Can't wait to see the video.
    One thing, though: every is their own worst critic, so wait til you hear feedback & you'll likely find it was sensational.

• Naughtymouse replied to silvershoes

Thanks Jane, Hellon and Larry I appreciate it and everyones input and support, kinda made me feel humble......well just a little lol :)

• Darren
    7 years ago

You crazy git,

stuff that for a game of cards......

• Hellon
    7 years ago

So Ben....where is it? The video..dying to see it?

• Naughtymouse
    7 years ago

Darren - this is a time when I say LOL that it is very literal and genuine hahahaha

Hellon - I know i'm waiting for the guy to upload it and it's driving me crazy i really want to see it, I have an open mic night tonight too lol

• Hellon replied to Naughtymouse
    7 years ago

Good luck with it...I'm sure you'll do great :)

• Naughtymouse
    7 years ago

Thanks Hellon :) I have to admit I am excited about this one, there's more people there and it's not like a slam, just open mic so the time pressure thing isn't there so much.

What does an open mic mean exactly? You just go up there and wing it or what?

• Naughtymouse
    7 years ago

well....lol.....i'm not really sure myself, from what I gather we have a 10 - 15 min slot where you "perform" (that word used in its loosest possible way) on the fly, so yeah actually I guess just go up and wing it....that's what im gonna do lol it's kinda like a slam without the competition aspect.

I must need my head read not my poetry.

7 years ago

Holy Cow!!! 10 minutes is a VERY LONG time...I can't possibly hold my breath for you for that amount of time Ben...LOL!!! What on earth will you do?