Personal tips on improving.

• McKenzieSerenity
    16 years ago

This is my own opinion.

Poetry should never have slang in it. It should be a sensual, thought provoking tale. To me, slang words and stylistic errors can really ruin a good poem. Always make certain that your poetry reflects something in detail. If you connect smiles to blooming flowers, take it a step further. for example:

"Her smile blossomed,
    Rosy lips curved outward,
    Petals preparing for the light kiss of rain"

When you make a detailed connection it is called a Homeric Simile. Homeric Similes are similar to my example above, but can last for pages sometimes. The more descriptive your poem is, the better. The only problem that can occur with details is when you use TOO MANY. When too many details are in a poem, the writer can lose sight of his or her purpose. If the writer does manage to keep the purpose in mind, it is possible that the overwhelming details will deter readers. Sometimes readers just want to read a small poem for fun, not examine an extensive one. All poets should write both long and short poems to keep a variety of readers interested in their writing.

Good Luck!

• NuovoVesuvio
    16 years ago

I completely disagree.

'Poetry should never have slang in it.'

You've just disowned hundreds of great writers from the bounds of poetry.

'It should be a sensual, thought provoking tale.'

Are you going to write a poem about rape in a sensual way? A tale is a narrative. Many poems are more like a description, or an aesthetic appraisal of something. This is not a tale. Are they therefore not poems?

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time on such a lame post.

• Jaymes Haze
    16 years ago

Keeping your mind open to slang can improve your work,
    It can make the lines seem more real.
    Just make sure if you're going to use them, use the words correctly.

(It's quite a good idea to invest in a dictionary.
    Maintaining a great vocabulary is just as necessary as putting those words together in a beautiful manner.)