Meeting At Night

• Katy
    16 years ago

The gray sea and the long black land;
    And the yellow half-moon large and low;
    And the startled little waves that leap
    In fiery ringlets from their sleep,
    As I gain the cove with pushing prow,
    And quench its speed i' the slushy sand.
    Then a mile of warm sea-scented beach;
    Three fields to cross till a farm appears;
    A tap at the pane, the quick sharp scratch
    And blue spurt of a lighted match,
    And a voice less loud, through its joys and fears,
    Than the two hearts beating each to each!
    -Robert Browning

I was wandering if anyone has read this poem and if you liked it? I personally loved it the first time I read it, it inspired me to start writing.

• Katy
    16 years ago

Thats true the do repeat words alot. I would like to read some of the poems by the people of that time who didnt get famous or published.

• Invited
    15 years ago

Great poem-though i think i have read it before

• Ray Smallshaw
    15 years ago

-The poet you are critising is one of the greatest English poet to have lived. as for the use of and what planet are you on we are writing poetry so who says we can't use as many ands as we want and Brownings poem is so perfect as the lady says, it attracted her to attain his perfection and drew her into our ranks, good on her, he is loved by all poetry lovers all over the world. perhaps if you read more poetry yours will benefit?

• Ray Smallshaw
    15 years ago

I was going to ask why but I can understand that perhaps by reading bad poetry you may find out were you are going wrong. I think you would be better off reading Browning and finding out what make him such a master of his trade (PoeT) By the way the poem is called "Meeting at Night", you will find it in most English poetry books, but I suggest you read "Parting at Morning", and "Any Wife to Any Husband though I suspect it may be a bit to long for you?

• Ray Smallshaw
    15 years ago

This is a classic as is the follow up Parting At Morning, the words are gripping in their simplicity and descriptiveness and I feel his joy and anticipation as he makes his way to his assignation.

Parting at Morning

Round the cape of a sudden came the sea,
    And the sun looked over the mountain's rim:
    And straight was a path of gold for him ,
    And the need of a world of men for me.

As an Englishman I love Brownings poems but there are so many good poets around and I see their work daily in my surfing and in my collection of poetry books I have hundred of poetry books and I read at least ten poems a days. Yes like you I was inspired by a poem and a particular poet ny inspration though was and an American Longfellow and his Hiawatha hooked me when I was ten fifty years ago and I have been writing poetry of and on for over 32 years since I was 18.