I need help if at all possible

• Jessie
    16 years ago

I know this is a poetry site, but I really want to write a memoir about my life at residential placement and submit it to thisispush.com, but I just don't know where to start. Should I start with a prologue, or a set up? Or do you guys have any other ideas, or good websites with writing tips? I really want to do this. It's like my dream to have a book published. Please help me if you can. Thanks. :D
    Jessie~

• Beautiful Chaos
    16 years ago

There are lots of sites with tips, these are some good ones.

Start by making a list of all the important dates and events in your life. Check old records to ensure the information that you are providing is accurate. Do not dwell on too many details at first; you can always go back to things later.

Jog your memory by looking at old photos or reading your journals. If you find yourself forgetting significant details, these items will help you remember things more clearly.

Begin writing after you gather your information. When you write, you should try to focus on the big stories rather than technical details. Provide important dates, but you do not need to go into great detail about the less important stuff.

Be sure to include the goals that you still wish to accomplish. A memoir can be just a glimpse of your life; it does not have to be considered your entire life story.

Approach a publisher or place the document in a safe place. Let your family members know about it and inform them on where you plan to keep it.

Tips & Warnings

* If you publish the work, do not include family members' last names and check to see if they wish to use pseudonyms.
    * Warn family members beforehand if you include any unsettling details that they do not know about.
    * Do not be disappointed if you are unable to publish the memoir. Your family will appreciate the work that you put into writing the story and you can always consider self publishing.