Need some help

• disturbed one
    16 years ago

I have been writing poetry in the past...and now ive arrived at a writers block which seems to be unsurpassable...its been like 8 months since ive written anything. but thats not my problem.

i wanna try to explore my options...song lyrics are quite different from poetry in my opinion, so maybe i could branch off to do songwriting.

now heres my problem. i try to write lyrics and they sound very poetic, i dont want poetic at all really.

a friend directed me to a program called "Verse Perfect" but i cant really understand how it helps =\ maybe someone can show me how to write songs using that? idk

• Jaymes Haze
    16 years ago

Here's one thing you should keep in mind,
    sure both poems and lyrics rhyme.
    But poems are generally more artsy and lyrics are more conversational.

If write down a lyric and you think you couldn't say it in chat, it'll probably be better suited for a poem.

Lyrics always tell a story and generally follow a trend, like ABABCB

A being a verse
    B being a chorus
    and
    C being the bridge

• Nicole the Fairy
    16 years ago

Hmm.
    Good topic.
    Poetry is fun to write, but when I have thought of writing lyrics, I would sing it my head, if that makes sense, and then I feel like it has to flow.
    By the time I write it, fix it, play with it, un-fix it, add music, there really is no point in it ;s
    It's my opinion on writing lyrics, I respect the other comments/opinions (two above ^^)
    But, personally, I'd rather stick to poetry, simple or complex - but to me, lyrics are complex. ;]

- Nicole x