Poet or Wordsmith?

• Kevin
    19 years ago

Yo peeps,

my friend Robert is without a doubt the best wordsmith i've come across. He writes the most amazingly complex poems using crazy structures like the feared "Octo-Sylablic couplets".

Thing of it is, his poems do nothing for me emotionally, i just think he's clever. He likes my poems because i don't write to be smart, i write to express, and being the opposite of what he does, he digs it big time.

He draws a line between a poet and a wordsmith. So which one do you think you are?

I'm a poet for sure...i rarely fool around with solid structures.

• PnQ Mod Account
    19 years ago

Hey, good topic, Kevin...

ummmm, can I say I'm a "hybrid"? LOL...

Actually, I guess I'd have to go with poet... although I have done some specific forms and been pleased with them, it is far easier for me to just let my heart spill onto the paper...

btw, does Robert have poems on here??

• Kevin
    19 years ago

Hey Ann,

nah, Robert ain't much of a fan of "modern" technology, though i heard through the grapevine that he'd recently gotten himself an e-mail adress so he can send off poems to publishers with haste.

I'll try and get him on here, he really is a smart cookie.

• vanessarrr
    19 years ago

hah! if it's a choice between those two, i'm definitely a poet. i love to experiment with words when it comes to writing stories though...

• Ş∂ņďħy∂
    19 years ago

...I am also a hybrid. I have tried poems with specific formats. If I have to choose between formats and the other, then I choose none. Because I feel both are equally important. It’s not easy to write a poem in a specific format and at the same time to make the poem look normal, emotional or what ever it is supposed to be. If I feel that by putting my poem into a specific format will make it loose its grace, then I prefer a free style. Most of the people prefer to write free style or simple rhyming poetry not because they feel its great but because that’s easier. We just can’t make ourselves look great by saying that “It’s a poem from heart”! I am not offending anybody. I myself write a lot of free style poetry. But we should admit that writing the other way is better. (How will a beautiful girl look while she is wearing an old-torn cloth and a party dress!). Just because we don’t have the talent to make our poetry follow a specific format and the same time make it hold all of its grace, we can’t degrade it by calling such poems are just “Intellectual”! Sometimes a poem written in a specific format can loose its grace and can look just intellectual. That is because people like us might have written the poem! Not Shakespeare! I am not saying we can’t become like him or greater than him. But, for that we should learn a lot and we should be serious about poetry. But most of us write poetry as a hobby.

I have my downsides. I make a lot of grammar mistakes in English. I am not that talented in poetry. And I talk a lot. :(

Still, I find it difficult to agree that “A poem from heart” is a reason to boss around! According to me, formats and emotions are equally important in poetry.

Sincerely,
    Trincy.