Spelling and Grammar

• BaybeBlew
    19 years ago

I'm sorry, but does anyone else see the problem with using crappy unintelligent internet slang? I feel like your speaking another language, why not just spell things correctly?
    Is it that much trouble spelling out the word 'are' instead of putting a letter in its place? I don't mind the occasional slang but writing a sentence like, 'i'm goin to tha gud sho tonite, r u?'. You sound like trash.
    Toodles

• ¤©h€€®ƒüll¥♥©¥ñ!c@l¤
    19 years ago

arg, that pisses me off so much...I hate it! there was a previous post on this somewhere... lol you might want to look at it.

Faithful, you just used it when you said "me 2" (its TOO) "its" (it's) im (I'm). Wow, if you are going to object something like that, then don't be contradictory like that! jeez.

• Austin
    19 years ago

Well i think you look at it wrong its kind of expression maybe not the best but you have to respect the person grammer shouldnt matter if their point gets out and you can read their works

• ¤©h€€®ƒüll¥♥©¥ñ!c@l¤
    19 years ago

yea... I hate to critisize, but she is. I can barely understand what she is saying! :[

• ♥x__Pwincess danii//
    19 years ago

hey guys can i just say something why do you keep putting these posts up there are like a thousand of them... yeah it isn't doing much you know? so i don't see the point because alot of people still talk like it

• ♥x__Pwincess danii//
    19 years ago

good point dont make your own posts anyway on this subject because there are 2 many *head spins*

• BaybeBlew
    19 years ago

Oh well, you are quite right justplainme.
    I spelt it wrong, that was not really the whole idea of this post though. Sure the topic was 'Spelling and Grammar' but it was more to tell people how retarded they sound when they type in internet slang.
    What is with you and spelling? I mean sure, when someone writes something the spelling should be reasonable and the amount of slang used should be low enough that it is readable, but you...an adult, what are you like twenty five? You sit on this website and pick out these people's spelling errors. You write well, but you are an adult that has gone to some kind of secondary education. You can spell, good for you. I am sure all of us at poemsandquotes.com are certainly proud that someone here can spell. Have fun pointing out everyone else's spelling mistakes, as I am sure it is entertaining.
    Toodles.

• ♥x__Pwincess danii//
    19 years ago

well you were going everyone learn to spell and you spelt something wrong, sue him for pointing it out jeez i mean i get sick of it sometimes that he always points it out, but i think here he had the right too you were nagging about other people and you did it yourself!

• Lipton
    19 years ago

"Because", Justplainme.

~Ciao Lipton

• Lydia O
    19 years ago

I tend to agree with the OP.

I don't care so much about casual communication written with netspeak, slang or imprecise language. The trouble is, that when people get into a habit of communicating this way, then this kind if language finds its way into more serious writing where it has no place.

If the ideas you have are worthy of being seriously expressed in writing, they should be worthy of being expressed with proper language. To do otherwise is generally an indication of indifference or carelessness, particularly so with people who are writing in their own native language.

There are so many quick, easy ways to check and correct your work for errors in writing that there is little excuse for spelling and grammar mistakes.

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Crappy unintelligent internet slang??? Hmmm

Well did you forget where your typing?

Hmmm the internet...

When thinking about it in another sense its actually quite intelligent internet slang, it is time efficient for one...I dont have a problem with it!

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

But Lydia O has stated a very valid point - I agree Lydia :o)

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

You are right justplainme...

I correct myself you're - my bad

I think thats a common misspelling I for one almost always forget that simple english grammatical rule as do you with your capitalisation justplainme.

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

I agree Faithful...

• Lipton
    19 years ago

I don't think it truly matters one way or another. I mean, it annoys me when people type,

IM SO KOOL! EVRY1 SHOOLD B MY FREND! UR STOOPID!

For one, it makes people look ignorant. Can you not spell out, "be"? or "cool"?

~Ciao Lipton

• Lipton
    19 years ago

*edited out*

• Kevin
    19 years ago

I'd wager that if the poetic masters of old could see the language we're using now, and i mean modern english with all it's accepted slang terms, they'd think us practical illiterates and most likely make comments to us very simililar in nature to the one that started this thread.

Maybe this new form of writing is the way forward? I mean it's like 1984 by George Orwell. Is this the Newspeak?

Scary.

• BaybeBlew
    19 years ago

I agree with Justplainme, Shakespeare created 20,000 words though his work, there is nothing wrong with that. This is the evolution of our language, it will always be changing. With that said, Shakespeare did not take already existent words and spell them wrong just to save himself time and space. This displays laziness and disrespect for the written word.
    Though someone could argue that concatenations are much like internet slang, and concatenations are now regularly used in everyday communication. Perhaps this is wrong?

• SweetDreamer
    19 years ago

well yah, maybe you could just call it 'language evolution', but is that really an excuse? i'm not saying you're wrong, but in the case of Shakespeare, he was a highly intellectual guy, so people would eventually have an idea of what he was saying, and can you really understand the way they talk or can't talk now? Anyways, a lot of the roots or the slang talk today probably came from Shakespeare's 'creations'. I don't know, but I if your not on the internet, I think you should at least try to use words that are actually real 'words'.