MAJOR SCAM ISSUE

• McKenzieSerenity
    15 years ago

I sent my poem Catching the Wind, which is posted on my account on here, to poetry.com. They emailed me telling me I'd won into the semi-finals...and I'd gotten onto a CD of 33 poems being read professionally. Apparently my book was going to be published in "Immortal Verses." I told my friends.

Two of my friends got hit with the same scam. Those idiots didn't even change the name of the book in six years. Ryan's was six years ago, Veronica's was three years, mine was this month. http://www.eliteskills.com/writing_scams/poetry.com.scam.php this site has a lot more info on the scam.

I wanted to warn you all, and I'm sure a lot of you have been hit by the same scam.

I'm so angry right now. I thought I'd won because my poem was good, but I was scammed. So Veronica and I are going to be posting all over the web about their stupid scam. Anyways, I might never submit to another contest after that. Oh well. I'll let the REAL poets, the ones on here and who publish in their own books, vote good or bad on poetry. I hope I saved someone from spending 200$ on Immortal Verses, the random CD, the Writer's convention, and the Author's Bio they try to sell. Thank gods I emailed everyone including Ryan about it. Now I have to email everyone again and tell them it was a scam though....

McKenzie Serenity

• LoreNz0
    15 years ago

Lol yer i got hit by it whn i first started writing. i got all excited then after a lil research found it out to b quite the pit up job. lol didnt do any harm tho... except getting my hopes up XD

• ether
    15 years ago

Sigh.

These threads come up too often.

• Cyber Saiyan
    15 years ago

I got hit the same way with the same title. I get about 5 emails a day from White Oak press and the International Library of Poetry asking for permission to print my titles. I actually allowed them to print one when i was about 13; and they actually did. I bought the book for $50. I feel a little better because my poem (one of my first) WAS actually printed, but i dont think they actually print them any more. Normally they invite you to a huge assembly of people, all who think they have won. Its not what they label it as, but it is a poetry contest without any real winners, so they keep getting away with it.

• McKenzieSerenity
    15 years ago

No, they only print your poem if you buy the book. If you don't buy the book, it doesn't get printed. I set them an email telling them they were idiots. Honestly, why on earth would they use the SAME title for a scamming book? My friends got hit 3 and 6 years ago and it was still Immortal Verses. Hopefully they get put out of business for good soon.

• xxxStarSxxx
    15 years ago

I got hit my this scam too! But I was like 13 and I didn't know any better until my parents pointed out that it was a scam. I felt like crap and like they didn't care what poems they picked so long as they would get money. I don't understand why they haven't gotten in any type of trouble for it yet. It's totally not a legit site.