Dulce et Decorum Est :)

• Armada the Gestalt
    15 years ago

I haven't read the whole poem, but this stanza here, is one of my favourite sections from any poem. Ever.

You may have heard it:

'Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! An ecstasy of fumbling,
    Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
    But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
    And floundering like a man in fire or lime.
    Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
    As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
    In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
    He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning. '

It's by Wilfred Owen, a very famous WWI poem. It's magnificent, isn't it? I love war poetry, for some reason WWI has always been moving to me. No, I never lost any relatives, and oddly, WW2 isn't so... so sorrowful to me, though it is, in itself, horrifying.

'As under a green sea, I saw him drowning'... My favourite line. It's beautiful, haunting, horrifying... Just that one line. Sorry, I got carried away.

Anyway, given that, do discuss, do discuss.

• Armada the Gestalt
    15 years ago

@The Tasteless

Interesting poem, actually, thanks!

• Fluffy
    15 years ago

I studied this in my Literature class the other day. It is by far one of the best war poems I have ever encountered.

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro patria mori"

^Perfect ending to a perfect poem.

• The Prince
    15 years ago

I'm actually sick of this poem due to having to write about it for three hours in A level and studying it earlier on too.

• Fluffy
    15 years ago

Boo hoo. All you do is complain.

• ASPHYXIATED
    14 years ago

There's worse poems to have to study :P.

I haven't studied this in a while, but I remember a few years ago when I was doing it I fell in love.

"If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
    Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
    Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
    Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,"

Its a poem that really sticks with you, whether you have studied it or not. Those lines ^ I can never forget, kinda like song lyrics that when you hear the song again after years you know it straight away.

• Inside the Liar
    14 years ago

Ha. I have to teach a Poetry During World War One lesson in my history class, and "Dulce Et Decorum Est" is one of the poems we're going over.

Oh, and Auzy, thanks for posting those other titles. I needed a couple other ones. :)

• Armada the Gestalt
    14 years ago

I haven't studied it, but I naturally analyse more sensical poems as well - it helps get a deeper meaning. Nobody likes being FORCED to pick something apart, and for one thing, half the meaning ones gleans from these things is actually a coincedence.

Dulce et decorum est, me patra mori. ~