Remembering

• Krista
    14 years ago

A kid at my school committed suicide a year ago tomorrow. His family is holding a small memorial for him after school. Someone close to me said they "think it's stupid to remember someone who killed themself."

I believe that he should be remembered. He was a human after all. Sure, his life ended by his own means, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be remembered. He had a family, friends... a life.

What are your opinions? Do you think someone that killed themself should have memorial services and remembrances held for them after their death? Why?

Thanks.

Krista

• KJ
    14 years ago

Wow.
    EVERYONE should be remembered, no matter how they left the Earth. I mean, should soldiers not be remembered because they signed up for ARMY, MARINES, NAVY, CG? Saying that someone does not deserve to be remembered is just rude and wrong. <----My opinion.

• Misunderstood Misery
    14 years ago

"Saying that someone does not deserve to be remembered is just rude and wrong."

^I agree. So what if he killed himself? So what if a grey hound bus ran a stop sign, popped over the curb and hit him while he was just walking along? (Sorry, I get a little dramatic sometimes. xD) The point is, it shouldn't matter HOW they died. The fact is that they are no longer here. And yes, they SHOULD be remembered. Even if they are no longer here due to their own hand.

It takes a very small and hateful person to not want someone to be remembered. Even if they don't agree with the means, there are still loved ones/family who will always want to remember that person.

• Tammi
    14 years ago

So true everyone needs to be remembered should i not remember my close friend who killed her self next month sorry cant not remember her and and all yes she did kill herself but thats no reason not to remember her she was my friend and yes she had a family and friends also that r still very hrt by what she done but they love her no less for what she done it was and still is a great lose to all of us that loved her.

• KJ
    14 years ago

Tammi has a point. Those who commit suicide should be remembered because even though they put an end to their life, they still had family and friends who loved them dearly. Most people who decide to kill themselves do it out of nowhere, with no one expecting it. So, the families and friends are not only innocent, they are also victims. Why would you not want to remember those who you love? That suicidal<---not sure how to spell it, could have been the most loving, outgoing, funny person on the outside. And that is what others would want to remember...

• BeatsMe
    14 years ago

People who commit suicide should be rememberd. Ceremonies should not be thrown after the fact ( every year on this date , etc ) for people who commit suicide unless by close friends and relatives. Suicide is a negative aspect of life and does no good. People who commit suicide are weak and let life get the best of them, while not taking into account others feelings of love for them. I think people who commit suicide are pathetic. You have one life only and if the most you can do is think how sad you are and off yourself then you dont need to be rememberd. There are plenty of people around the world that deserve our attention. And whoever compared soldiers dying to suicide. Your a complete and utter moron. Soldiers die fighting for their countries. Wether their countries' intents and reasons for war are right or wrong, soldiers die for their countries and their loved ones. They die for something they believe in thats greater than themself. And they dont go into battle thinking well "Im gonna try and die today". They think Im going to fight with my team side by side and Ill take a bullet for the guy next to me before he does. Because they know life is worth something and value it. Soldiers leave home and give up everything they have so you can sit here in freedom and voice your opinions. That is the most horrible comparison Ive ever seen. That disgusts me.

• Kuro
    14 years ago

I think that they should be remembered and use those thoughts to reflect on his reasons why. but unless you knew the family or the kid in person, you should try not to dwell on it. move on and enjoy your life. many people die everyday. the only difference between the other people that committed suicide and him... is that he lived closer. but if you never talked to him or knew him, its the same as having someone on the other side of the world die.

• Love Panda
    14 years ago

People are cruel in this world. Jelous even. If in your heart you think its right to remember someone - no matter how they died then thats all that matters, skrew everyone else and there small minds. All that matters is how you feel about it.

Personally anyone close to me that dies i will always remember them and have a special day just for them, but people i know - who im not close too..will be remembered from time to time. Its a case of how much they meant to you - how they touched your life.

IBE

• chind
    14 years ago

Yes, i agree. Everyone should be remembered. That wasnt a very nice thing for that person to say!

• Love Panda
    14 years ago

I hear were your coming from..but the fact is.

Nobody knew exactly what was going on in his life, im guessing not even his family. Everybody has secrets and we all hide some things..maybe he just hid alot more pain than anyone else and couldnt cope with the lack of help, idk.

I can see both sides of the story and in between. I just know not everything is what it seems in some one elses eyes.

IBE

• Tammi
    14 years ago

Let me say just becuz u kill urself or not that person is gone and should be remember even if only by the family and close friend and also just becuz u end ur life DOES not mean u r weak my best friend did it it will be 2 years next weak and she was far from weak she had some issues that not everyone knew about I dont love her any less becuz she chose to die when ppl say they are weak that piss's me off if u have never had anyone that u r close to do it keep ur mouth shut plz

• Tammi
    14 years ago

So true to the words of the one above me ^^
    because most of the time if we would be there and willing to hear the silent echoes and say one lousy word to change the path of oblivion, they would be still here..

but this is not always right becuz most ppl that do kill themself dont let the ones who love and know them the sings of anything being wrong this i know first hand ant the one who talk about well they r the one we need to watch more close and most of the time they dont do it they just need attention

sorry to be so long here but i just have to say how I feel and what i have been through

• Baby Rainbow
    14 years ago

I think suicide needs more awareness, i lost 4 friends to suicide, and my best friend got all the " she was attention seeking" and " she was so selfish and stupid" and there was a big fuss over it and how silly and a waste of a life it was... no one knew the real story ... she was abused by both her parents, an uncle and her brother,,, and no one believed her, she was bullied at school and the teachers just put it down to bullying. when we tried to tell her and get help no one would listen. she died because everyone who loved her abused her and she didnt have anywhere else to go... and i was really angry at her because i missed her but at the end of the day i understand now because she had no choice, she had to suffer that every day as no one would believe her or let her get help.

p.s, when she died and there was an investigation... the parents and the brother got a prison sentence... the uncle walked free....

i think suicide can often be because people feel trapped. i also believe that most people go through a phase of just wanting to give up when things get tough. i know i have felt that low before, but like someone mentioned above... its those who are left behind who are hurt and scarred.... if you have people to leave behind. xxx